excalibur rope cocker fraying

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cb175

Re: excalibur rope cocker fraying

Post by cb175 »

I got some low stretch rock climbing rope from a camping store. From memory it was about 500kg (1000lb) breaking strain and almost exactly the same diameter as the original cocking rope. Fairly cheap and much more colourful (red, yellow & black).
TPM

Post by TPM »

Fraying is typically caused by friction so I doubt it's a strength issue. My guess is it's rubbing against something that's not as smooth as it should be.I would check carefully for any fine burrs or rough edges. I've been using the same rope cocker since 2006 with absolutely no problems.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

TPM wrote:Fraying is typically caused by friction so I doubt it's a strength issue. My guess is it's rubbing against something that's not as smooth as it should be.I would check carefully for any fine burrs or rough edges. I've been using the same rope cocker since 2006 with absolutely no problems.
The fraying is so close to the handle that the frayed section dose not contact anything while it is drawn back other than the roller on the hook .the fraying starts two inches below the right side handle and continues for four inches , the worst of it being in the first two inches . The section that is in contact with the grove in the stock for the rope is fine . Any area on my bows that the rope contacts are smooth and bur free as well as the roller on the hooks .

I keep looking for burs but can not find any . Not sure what is causing it .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads