WHAT CH'ALL BE USIN FER UR TURKEY CALLS?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: WHAT CH'ALL BE USIN FER UR TURKEY CALLS?

Post by amythntr »

greentag wrote:get a david halloran crystal mistress pot call,they sound awsome,he was the youngest guy to ever win the dd adams award for pot calls,anything he makes is pure turkey,also you cant go wrong with anything woodhaven makes,i have a ton of calls ive collected over the years,mainly custom calls and there cherry classic crystal,and vision alum call are two of my all time favorites,for mouth calls,woodhaven black wasp is my favorite,its a split v cut,easy to blow and sounds just like its got feathers.cane creek that was mentioned above from down here in ky are top notch too,they arnt as expensive as alot of other custom calls,there mr.death mouth call is another one of my favorite mouth calls,the only one i like better is the black wasp,as far as box calls,theres a father and son that builds some of the best boxes out there,ss custom calls,they may cost a little more than something say at walmart but it is defently worth it.turkey hunting is alot like fishing,you would not go bass fishing with only one bait,turkeys are the same way,one day they may not like one call but love another,,and vise versa the next day,just gota find that sound that he likes.as far as pot calls go take a few calls and a several strikers of different wood,they will all have a different pich and sound on your calls,good luck,turkey hunting can be addictive,and so can call collecting once you learn them all.

...Thanks greentag for a detailed response...I will check out some of your suggestions....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Tom wrote:I was once given some advice many many years ago, ..... it is not so much the sounds you make, but the rhythm you make .......and after so many years, I think it is the best advice given to a turkey hunter.
Yep, what Tom said is true. Some of the "worst sounding" calling I've ever heard came from an actual hen.

I was hunting one day and heard this God-awfull sound. :shock: Got to listening and could tell it was a turkey call. I figured either a kid or someone that was tone deaf was trespassing on our land. I kept quiet since the calling was getting closer. Figured I would catch whoever was trespassing. Before too long, "it" popped up over the hill. It was a dang hen by herself. Don't know what happened to her, but she sounded terrible. The cadence and pattern was right, just it sounded like someone blowing on a diaphragm call for the first time. It wasn't long before I had 2 birds start sounding off behind me. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....Picked up the Avian breeder and feeder hen decoy's...man do these look life like...and appear to be very easy to use...Query...do I need a gobbler decoy or is this OK?

...the words of wisdom from you turnkey Masters would be greatly appreciated....

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
strum

Post by strum »

amythntr wrote:....Picked up the Avian breeder and feeder hen decoy's...man do these look life like...and appear to be very easy to use...Query...do I need a gobbler decoy or is this OK?

...the words of wisdom from you turnkey Masters would be greatly appreciated....

I like both but I would hunt the breeder most. hunt it alone or in combo with the feeder and or a jake. if carrying them in wasn't a problem I would use a whole dang flock !!
for the record. I have a DSD submissive hen and jake but I killed the last bird over a foam feather flex hen. probably more birds are killed with the foam decoys than any other. If im feeling spunky I take the DSDs if I want to go lite ..its the foam for me.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

strum wrote:
amythntr wrote:....Picked up the Avian breeder and feeder hen decoy's...man do these look life like...and appear to be very easy to use...Query...do I need a gobbler decoy or is this OK?

I like both but I would hunt the breeder most. hunt it alone or in combo with the feeder and or a jake. if carrying them in wasn't a problem I would use a whole dang flock !!
for the record. I have a DSD submissive hen and jake but I killed the last bird over a foam feather flex hen. probably more birds are killed with the foam decoys than any other. If im feeling spunky I take the DSDs if I want to go lite ..its the foam for me.

...thanks Stan....I meant to say turkey Masters not turnkey...duh!....

...I think i will stay with what I have then...a breeder and a feeder...probably will pick up the Halloran call along with the black wasp...other than that I am good to go....now where are those dang turkeys?

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

I just use a foam hen decoy. Stuff a thin garbage bag inside it to keep it puffed out.
A Tom decoy works, however, I choose not to use one for safety reasons.
JLH

Post by JLH »

Guys....do yourself a favor and check out John Sinclair calls....he sells them on ebay.

He makes the finest calls I've heard. I have just about everything he makes, and all of them are pure turkey! Much more realistic than any mass produced call.

He's a great guy, and a true craftsman, he can answer any questions you have about his calls.

The titanium is truly a special call...it can play nice and soft, and really yeah out there if needed.

Sometimes you can get one at a pretty decent price.