Bullhead set up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

Bullhead set up

Post by W.Miguire »

Well got my new Bullhead broad head for turkeys today and could not wait to try them. used my best practice arrow all I did was screw on the new head and it flew like a dart. 10 20 15 all good . tried it on a tube from a roll of paper towels. and cut it in half twice at 20 , got a month to go before my season starts , can't wait :D set up:::::: 20" BEE's 92grm. insert 2" Blazers with right helicoil and lumenok. 100 gr. Magnus Bull Heads. 355 bow .
the 20" arrow just clears the bow as if it was made for it .just thought some of you would to know.
W.M.
Southern Comfort

Re: Bullhead set up

Post by Southern Comfort »

Sounds like you are ready. Good luck! :D
Matrix 380 blackout
18" Zombies/92 gr. brass inserts
100 gr. Slick Trick Mag
18" Spinal Tapp's
170 gr F.O.C's
NChunter/BOO/ VixenMaster strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sounds like you're ready, good luck on the thunder chickens! :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DaverV

Post by DaverV »

Hey W.M, that is the same setup I'm using and has worked very well for me. Good luck this turkey season!
Passing Through
bubba

Post by bubba »

Good luck............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Well Bill, it seems you've got a winner in that setup. There is one problem with it though....how are you going to make it almost a whole month before the season opener?!!! :shock: :lol: .....can't wait to hear about you lopping off a turkey head. Good luck. :D
Last edited by paulaboutform on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

not the case. the hole broad head doses clear the stirrup . the problem is in the bigger one is in the flight. I am going to try the bigger ones and see how they fly. will contact the Magnus people to day and talk to them. I think the diff. in the heads are the length of the blades. 2 3/4 small 3 3/4 big. 100 small 125 big .
Paul, we have the learn to hunt thing this week , so will be taking the youngsters , and adults out for the first time . will be teaching the class for calling and decoy set up also safety. my partner is a gun safety instructor . lots of fun. :D
W.M.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I use a similar setup on my 330 100grain bullhead on a 20" 2219 allium. with some extra weight up front. I tried the large 125 and did not get good flight. The smaller 100 grain fly's well and the blades did not break like the 125 did after each shot. Magnus warranty is AMAZING they are sending me a pack of 100 grain heads to replace 125 that broke and did not fly well. Mike the CEO of the company recommends the 100 grain for x-bows. That is great customer service.

Big D
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Big D , are you shooting it into a pillow? talked to Mike this morn. what are you using for fletching? you must have a stiff spline for sure to shoot them. I will try them with my set up. if it don't fly good I will try diff. fletching maybe longer vanes or feathers. any way i'll give it a try. like the idea of the large blades. yes all you need to buy is a pack of three and you have enough for life . as with all their broadheads. you can't go wrong.
W.M.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I did use the pillow and also like you I liked the idea of the large cut of the 125; however, they just didn't work for me. Mike thinks the blades broke because they were not flying well and hitting the target correctly. I agree it wasn't the heads fault for breaking. The 2219 aluminums are a stiff shaft and I am using larger vanes but maybe the 20" bees will work better. Please let me know. I shot the 100 grain head at least 20 times the last few years and did not have one blade break.

Big D
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

We talked about design . and liked my idea for the 125 blade. they will work as is but we have to find the best combo. it an't rocket science. :roll: maybe 5" feathers. we will see.
W.M.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

How far are you getting good accuracy!! Any thing i have read is don,t shoot past 15/20 yards!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I just shot it at 20 so far, it was to windy the day I tried it . I would say the way it was shooting it will get out there JMO.
W.M.
Big D

Post by Big D »

W.M. Thanks for taking the time to figure out the best approach for these bullheads. I have stated on this forum I refuse to shoot another turkey in the body again. Yes I have taken birds with body shots; however, I have lost more. Some hunters have the opinion the neck shot with a bullhead is the most ethical shot for a turkey with the small vitals. I AGREE! There is one member of the forum DaverV that had success with the 125s he was using zombie slayers. Here is a few good reads from the forum that may interest you about the bullheads and turkey x-bow hunting. Thanks again I am looking forward to trying what you come up with.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=53254

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=53204

Big D
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

if I read his post he was using a 100 not for sure, but if is tuned in we can ask him. yes I an anxious to see what it big blades do . I found that my daughters 19/18 fits perfect in my BEES if the wood don't make the spline heaver . then I will try one of her arrows. will let you know how it goes. :roll:
W.M.