which broad heads for Axiom

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

which broad heads for Axiom

Post by xbowrook »

Well my crossbow issue has been solved. Pocked up a new Axiom today. Now to find a good broad head... What are u guys using? Thinking of the 100 grain rage hypodermic...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Big D

Re: which broad heads for Axiom

Post by Big D »

125 Crossbow-x Rage with 110 brass insert BEE out of 330

Big D
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I shoot 125gr spitfire's out of mine...bad medicine!! :shock:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Big D

Post by Big D »

georgiaboy wrote:I shoot 125gr spitfire's out of mine...bad medicine!! :shock:
Great choice georgiaboy I harvested 25 deer with 125 spitfires. I like rages retention system a little better. But definitely top 2 choices. I only use rage now.

If I would ever try fixed it would be magnus buzzcut for sure. I have used these with success out of my recurve bow
galamb

Post by galamb »

While the Rage broadheads are super popular they tend to have the worst penetration of the majority of mechanicals.

That's not a big deal if you are shooting "gobs of power" (speed translates into KE which translates into penetration distance, all else being equal) BUT even the 330's, the "weakest" of the Matrix line are 10% faster than the Axiom.

Now you will find a thousand guys who use the Rage heads and swear by them. I shoot a bow even slower than your Axiom (Vix II) and since I "know" that I will not always make the perfect shot I want every advantage I can get - and shooting the regular Rage line isn't it.

They do (did) make a 40KE model which deploys easier (which helps penetration) for slower shooting bows and I use them with my (vertical) recurve, but for my Vix II I have found many other broadheads that penetrate better.

I'm currently shooting Battle Axe's (100 gr from Axe Archery), but have also tested/used G5 T3's (gobble alot of energy to deploy), Meat Seekers (Trophy Ridge - flew well but didn't like the durability) and Bloodrunner II's (NAP), which as long as they are oriented with the blades in line with the string, they shoot awesome (just momentarily deploy upon firing and can catch the foot stirrup if oriented up/down).
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I shoot Easton aluminum arrows(2219) 20" length with 150 grain Bolt Cutters.Have shot out to 50 yards and hit bullseye size of a dixie cup.I use the aluminum arrows for the extreme penetration and added weight for the 150 grain bolt cutter.The only draw back is once you have sighted in using this set up,you can't target shoot with any other set up(carbon arrows,lighter weight broadheads or field points).I always practice with 1 aluminum arrow and 1 150 grain bolt cutter during my entire practice season.If I want to shoot different arrows and different field points/broadheads,I never readjust my scope.I just compensate depending how far off I am from hitting the bullseye.Once you see the penetration using an aluminum arrow versus carbon,you will want to use aluminum when hunting.Just my opinion.I know every bow hunter has his/her personal favorite set up,but when it comes to actual hunting instead of target shooting,I prefer my set up.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

Thanks everyone... Penetration is my biggest worry, seeing how I'm not using a blazing fast xbow... I have heard great things on the rage hypo's and the crossbow rage...also hearing great things on the grim reaper whitetail specials.. Thought of stocking with fixed blades and have had great success with the 125 grain muzzy 3 blades... Hmmm, gonna have to really think this out...lol
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Ramcats!
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

I have 3 fixed blade broadheads I can shoot with great confidence from my Ibex.(Same as Axiom but thumb hole stock.)The WASP Drone,Slick Trick Magnum and Muzzy MX3.All 3 are solid,reliable and shoot very close to the same poi as a field point.At normal hunting distances <40 ish yds complete pass throughs on whitetails should be expected.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
grouse

Post by grouse »

I shoot an Axiom too and have had good results with both boltcutters and slick trick xbow tricks. For whitetails you can probably shoot anything you want and not worry about penetration. 300 ft. per second is not state of the art but it is still fast. Bear in mind that Native American longbows had draw weights of only 30 - 40 lbs. and were neither laminated nor recurves. They shot arrows made with primitive tools that had varying diameters and straightness. Their arrows were tipped with rocks that they sharpened. Despite this, they successfully hunted and killed grizzly bears, bison, elk and moose as well as deer. Your Axiom firing modern arrows tipped with any razor sharp present day broadhead is more than a match for any whitetail. Just be sure to practice and make a good hit.
axiom
350 SE
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Fred T wrote:I have 3 fixed blade broadheads I can shoot with great confidence from my Ibex.(Same as Axiom but thumb hole stock.)The WASP Drone,Slick Trick Magnum and Muzzy MX3.All 3 are solid,reliable and shoot very close to the same poi as a field point.At normal hunting distances <40 ish yds complete pass throughs on whitetails should be expected.
Three good heads. I'll definitely add the QAD Exodus and buzzcut. I believe the best thing about the rage broadheads is the marketing team that promotes them....that's all I'll say about them. I recommend a good quality fixed blade head.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Our hunting group uses Rages and Swhackers. Last 2 years we are 8 for 8 on mule deer and my brother-in-law also got 2 whitetails . All of them fell within his sight.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My first crossbow was the sister to the Axiom, an Ibex. I tried a ton of different 100 grain heads, and she liked them all. Accuracy to field points varied, so I settled on NAP Thunder Heads and those worked well. I'm on to my 4th Excalibur, the Micro, and going with Spitfires. So far, perfect!

Good Luck, and try what appeals to you for your hunting preferences, I think you'll be amazed at all the good options! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

Slick trick 150 grain