Micro or Matrix?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Trigger1212

Micro or Matrix?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Hello All,
New Poster here. As everyone likes to know this stuff here are my "specs": Grew up on farm in MI, joined USMC out of High School, did 4 year hitch, managed to shoot my way on to the USMC National High Power Rifle team for two seasons. Performed best at long range competition, 200 yd line was always an azz kicker of the hind legs! Got out and went to college, missed the Corps so rejoined in the Active Reserves. Future Mrs. did not want to be lashed up with a military man (smart woman! Former Farmgirl) so quit Corps got married, graduated, and started job that I've been doing for the last 25 yrs.

Due to my competitive experience I'm an admitted "trigger puss". Dad was an outdoorsman so I grew up huntin', fishin', shootin' and reloadin' and all that good stuff. Been vert bow hunter for abt last 25 yrs and have 30 some deer to my credit. Saw an add for Excalibur bows in a magazine a few years ago and it really got my attention due to it's simplicity. Ended up buying an Equinox, standard package, factory arrows and case. Ended up putting on a TT trigger and an XB30 scope, and Flemish string. Fantastic bow and no regrets on the performance, only issue is the size, little large as I have to travel quite a ways to hunt and am primarily a treestand hunter, no rails.

SO! That covers the basics. Here is my deal. Current bow is fine performance wise except for size and weight. My brother is buying it so now torturing myself on what to get for a replacement! When I heard about the Micro I immediately thought it would be the whip. Did some more digging and started coming up with pros and cons. Love the size, cocking is no issue (already tried it), not excited about the 16" arrows (would go to 18"), not excited about giving up the fps over the equinox. Other bow I'm looking at is the Matrix 355. Pretty much duplicates the equinox performance wise but only slightly smaller so do not know if I'm gaining enough there. If I go up to the 380 I know you get extras but then your even closer in size to current bow and that does not make that much sense. Might be hersey (sp?) but not really all that excited about the dryfire device, another mechanical item and I really do not like how it sets above the safety, cannot hardly get thumb on safety to turn it on and off! If I got the 355 I'd just put on it what I wanted, not that worried about the price/deal with the 380.

Will be getting one of these bows from wyvern, have him make 18" arrows for Micro or 20" for the 355, will use the brass inserts, blazers and I will probably shoot my standard NAP 100gr spitfires. Can anyone give me compelling reasons for getting one bow over the other? My main hangup on the Micro is the "perceived" loss of performance (speed) over the equinox.

I don't believe I've ever shot at a deer over 30yds. BUT I do enjoy practicing back to 60-70 yards, makes closer shots feel like shooting fish in a barrel. I've heard that the Micro starts to give up accuracy to the 355 past 40 yds? Maybe they are just referring to rainbow trajectory? How will this Micro 18" set up buck the wind/stability compared to the 355/20" set up?

Dang, this is America, maybe I should just buy both? But that would be silly right out of the box. May end up there but would like to start with one! Thanks for all the input, all comments greatly appreciated. Especially interested in comments from someone who may have had a Micro or 355 and decided to switch and why? Thanks again.
Matrix 355 - "Spike"
20 " BE Executioners, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" blazers
NAP 100 gr Spitfires
Wyvern Flemish String
DM Bumpers
Semper Fi!
Carnivorous

Re: Micro or Matrix?

Post by Carnivorous »

I had the Matrix 355 and switched to the Micro for these reasons.

Smaller limb size
Micro has better balance
easier to take free hand shots
Micro has the better factory trigger
Micro comes with ADF and string stops

Micro just looks cooler!!

I would not worry about losing 20fps between the Matrix 355 and Micro 335. At the end of the day 20fps @ deer hunting range will not make or break the shot.

The only drawback to the micro so far is it's hard on the servings and cocking effort is @ the max for me. I also own the Matrix 330 and like it for its ease of cocking if I want to put in a long shooting session.

Good luck and happy crossbow shopping.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:I had the Matrix 355 and switched to the Micro for these reasons.

Smaller limb size
Micro has better balance
easier to take free hand shots
Micro has the better factory trigger
Micro comes with ADF and string stops

Micro just looks cooler!!

I would not worry about losing 20fps between the Matrix 355 and Micro 335. At the end of the day 20fps @ deer hunting range will not make or break the shot.

The only drawback to the micro so far is it's hard on the servings and cocking effort is @ the max for me. I also own the Matrix 330 and like it for its ease of cocking if I want to put in a long shooting session.

Good luck and happy crossbow shopping.

X2 all the way...I have both the 380 and the 335...the 335 is definitely a bear to cock...but sounds like you are on the younger side and a Marine (thanks for all you have done in service to our country...much appreciated from this end!)

Trigger1212...a great introduction on your part...I might suggest that you go back into your registration and complete the part asking from where you are from....

....Sounds like you would be a great addition to this forum...many smart people with a tremendous treasure of information, a willingness to share and hearts of gold...

....I love my 335 and that is what I will be shooting going forward...

....I would strongly suggest that, if you settle in on the 335, that you take a look at the Nightmare...it has an awesome finish, bar none...it looks so much more sleeker and tactical...and there are rumors :mrgreen: that it does out
shoot the camo version :mrgreen:

....if you need further convincing...my ....Nightmare 335; Bada Bing 8) ...said he would be willing to talk further :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome aboard,

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....reread your post...

....I felt the same way about the loss of FPS from the 380 down to the 335...but the size differential and the perfectly balanced feel of the 335 were the selling points...and damn...I still have my "arra" sticking out of the back of my target at 40 yards...

....and I am shooting a 15" ZS with 80g of brass behind the command module, 2"blazers, Ignitors lighting up the Saturn V and the 100g Toxics as my command module...this rocket was dead nuts out to 40yds off of a bench... (380g)

....and with the last two shots I heard, "40yd target here, your Zombie Slayer has landed."

....and maybe you are about the same age as me so if your leaning to the 335 go somewhere where you can try out the cocking of that little "spark plug!"

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard.
another consideration would be, how much practicing you gonna do?
I have heard that the Matrix 355 is much easier on the body than the Micro if you spend all afternoon target shooting. So if you will mostly be using it for hunting then the micro would be a good choice, but if you want to target shoot all afternoon you might want to consider the matrix 355. Either one will be an awesome hunting machine. Shoulder and shoot both of them, then decide which one would be best for your intended use. :)

Ron
Last edited by BrotherRon on Tue May 26, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Micro. It is plenty of bow!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

BrotherRon wrote:another consideration would be, how much practicing you gonna do?
I have heard that the Matrix 355 is much easier on the body than the Micro if you spend all afternoon target shooting. So if you will mostly be using it for hunting then the micro would be a good choice, but if you want to target shoot all afternoon you might want to consider the matrix 355. Either one will be an awesome hunting machine. Shoulder and shoot both of them, then decide which one would be best for your intended use. :)

Ron
Good advice given !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

I do t shoot either so I cannot help in that regards. I shoot the Mega 405 and love it.

But

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO YOU AND ALL OUR MILITARY.
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

If you think the factory trigger is nice,,,,,try a Trigger Tech,,,, no comparison!! Maybe that is why I have between 150 and 200 shot's on a Danny Miller flemish string, and it barely shows wear. I have the Micro and 2-380's all have Trigger Tech triggers in them and the highly polished claws are worth the price of the trigger let alone the much crisper, lighter, less creep associated with the factory offerings, mine are all 2.5 lbs. Single Stage!!

I have both 335 and 2-380's as I said,,,, I love the little Micro and will be using it early season, 30 and 40 yard shots are no problem,,, and I have mine setup using a reflex sight, the Burris Fastfire. I am setup dead on at 30 yards and shoots top of red dot at 20, about 1" below red dot at 40 yards, I have shot this bow a great deal at every yardage imaginable from 10 to 45 yards and have 100% faith in shot placement with my 400 ish arrows off hand anywhere in that range for deer hunting. It is quieter, and with the extensive noise dampening I have done to this 7 lbs finished bow ready to hunt, will give any crossbow made a run for its money when it comes to being quiet!!! This bow is a hunters dream inside 40 yards!!! :wink:

That said,,,,if I could have only one bow,,,,,as sweet as the micro is,,,,,my 380's would be the ones I picked from to keep!!!! I have confidence in either one well out past 50 yards when shots are right!!!

I would not own either without the Guardian Anti-DryFire on them!!! I killed 4 deer the 4th week of January this year with the 380, below 20 degrees every day for the high, and with gloves on had absolutely no problem silently operating the safety with my thumb!!!

Welcome aboard,,,,and Thank's for your service, as well as all others who helped provide my freedom!!!! Have a weell deserved Memorial Day!!!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Great introduction and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're going to be a good fit with the many fine folks here. :D
With regards to the micro, it seems that all who have them love them. Personally, at 6' and 200+ lbs, I can cock it no problem but it's comparable to the 405 only 70fps slower. It is tiny and superbly balanced but for me, I changed my mind about getting one because I didn't feel the gains equalled the effort vs. speed. I have no doubt it's a sweet shooter though. If I had to choose I'd pick the M380 just because it is such a powerhouse tack driver....and I won't have a bow without the ADF as it's saved me more times than I care to admit. :oops: But, if you're looking at the micro or 355, my vote is the 355....but it's really the 380. :wink: Again, welcome.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
chenessfan

Post by chenessfan »

Hi and welcome.
I would strongly recommend you get the Micro. As the others have said, you are not going to find a bow that is easier to shoot and handle. And the size is just awesome. IMO there's absolutely no reason you wouldn't be happy with that bow, it should be everything you need. It's VERY accurate, like all Excals and due to its size and balance the easiest bow in Excal's line up for freehand shooting. Its only drawback is the cocking effort but that seems to be no problem for you.
And as Anthony has hinted at, the black Micros (Nightmare) tend to shoot 340+fps... at least one member here measured his at 349fps. So I don't think you'll notice any performance loss compared to the Equinox.

Regarding arrow length... a crossbow doesn't really care how long the arrow is it's shooting (as long as it's not in front of the limbs). I don't see a need for a longer arrow than the standard 16.5" (or 15" even) but basically you can go as long as you wish. That shouldn't be much of a deal breaker. Though I personally don't like it when the arrow protrudes too far.
Excalibur Micro Nightmare and Excalibur Phoenix

Also lots of swords if the arrow doesn't finish the job :D
MprBlackout

Post by MprBlackout »

380 is way to go. Less cockin weight, all the goodies (yes anti- dryfire has saved
me also) and fast.
If your around I-94 and 127, ring me, ill bring mine out for ya to shoot.
And yes ........ thank you sir ......have good weekend
380 BLACKOUT w/ T-zone 100
Tact handle, ACP trigger, Dr Stirrup w/ bumpers
335 Micro BLACKOUT & 355 Micro camo, both ACP triggers, T-zone 100'd, all w Lumi'd weight matched Zombies
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

The speed thing can be deceiving also, I look at like I have 90 lbs KE with the micro, with the 380 I have 112 lbs KE, the my Nightmare shot 342 fps with a 350 grain arrow, my 380 shot 381 fps with a 352 grain arrow. Just apples to apples. I don't see much difference in cocking effort between the 2.
Last edited by wildcatter on Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

If you could shoot them at say a cabelas you could make up your mind. I love my 355!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline