Best Location for Tree Stand?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DeerHunter850

Best Location for Tree Stand?

Post by DeerHunter850 »

I need some advise please.......I have access to a friends farm and I am trying to decide where the best place is to hang a stand. There is a large field planted with corn, east of that is a field of hay and east of that is a wood lot. The deer come out of the wood lot and head for the corn. Should I put the stand on the edge of the wood lot overlooking the hay field and corn or keep it in the wood lot about 25 to 50 yards?

Thoughts and advise please are appreciated,
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

First is the corn picked :?: If it is i would go about 30 or so yards in the woods, because the bigger bucks will scent check the field while still in the cover of the woods. Especially during shooting light.
RWK

Tree Stand

Post by RWK »

I would put the stand 100 to 150 yards up further in the woods because,bucks like to hang back till its almost dark before they come out to feed. Find a run between bedding area and the food. Good Hunting Rich
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

If your still stumped on what to do try this out!
Get where you can glass the area you want to hunt and the place you wont get winded or lets say the place with the least likely chance of getting winded and sit and watch for a few days...

try not to get to close to soon....or you may scare off the one you want!

hide and watch has always been a good tactic vs ramblin in on a 4 wheeler and makin a bunch of noise and settin up right on top of them....unless there is a 4wheeler on the property frequently ( farmer, cattleman, ect) there is always many tricks :wink:

watchin from a distance (binocs) and being aware of the wind at the time of deer movement can help a fella out alot.watch them see where they come from and watch where they go, which way the wind is blowin and time of day.... be patient..you only need one chance to make that one shot W/Excalibur....

BIG TIP..if you have to get close or you need to set a new stand close to an active area....If possible wait till its rainin cats and dogs-then get er done--still try to be quite and stealthy but the rain and storm will mask your noise and wash your scent away... :wink: my favorite time to hang a stand or scout... 8)
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

For evening hunting I have always gone by: start with the stand on the edge of the bush and move it in slowly as the days get shorter. This way you can stay out of the bedding area but still have th opportunity to get a shot before dark!
-Richard-
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

In a tree?!

Sorry, couldn't help it.
DeerHunter850

Post by DeerHunter850 »

Thanks guys, all good advise and I appreciate it.
johnbuck9

treestand

Post by johnbuck9 »

Even in a tree stand you must play the wind, I would lay back into the woods 50 yards just make sure your not too close too a bedding area like others mentioned your buck will lay back and let the doe come out first, the bucks will come out at last light, this way you may get a shot at one of those bucks, that are hanging back befor dark , but if the wind is not in you favor stay out, and hunt elsewhere, or set up several stands.