Spitfire 100 grain broadheads for Diablo arrows.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BobbyR

Spitfire 100 grain broadheads for Diablo arrows.

Post by BobbyR »

Has anyone here tried 100 or 125 grain Spitfires or Rage xbow heads on the Excalibur Diablo arrows. I know that Excal recommends 150gr boltcutters, but I have about a dozen of 100 gr Spitfires for my vertical bow, and I was wondering if they would be accurate enough without putting in new inserts in the Diablo arrows. I haven,t gotten my broadhead target out of storage yet, but is it worth trying them, or should I just buy something heavier? These arrows will be shot at around 300 to 310 fps.
amythntr

Re: Spitfire 100 grain broadheads for Diablo arrows.

Post by amythntr »

....I have used and loved the Spitfire MAXX 100g on the Diablos and the Quills....
I have found no issues with the BH opening prematurely, I get full deployment of all blades, I got good blood trail and both a nice entry and exit wound...

....I recently switched over to the Toxics...Why....I found that they flew like my FT and wanted to try something else, also love the wound channel and just wanted to give them a try....but...I have a stock of the SF's and would gladly go back to them if need be....

Anthony :)

PS: remember you must maintain overall arrow weight at no less than 350g...how you get there is your business! Also, not sure if the vertical bow BH's are constructed the same as the CB ones...finally, the Mfgr...does not recommend opening and closing the blades more than 5 times before changing the blades...
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

the spitfires will work just fine. good huntin!
BobbyR

Post by BobbyR »

Thanks guys. My Diablo with the 100 spitfire weighs exactly 352 grains on my RCBS powder scale, and on my Hornady powder scale. I will try them out the first chance I get.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... They also make 100g practice tips!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

amythntr wrote:....I have used and loved the Spitfire MAXX 100g on the Diablos and the Quills....
I have found no issues with the BH opening prematurely, I get full deployment of all blades, I got good blood trail and both a nice entry and exit wound...

....I recently switched over to the Toxics...Why....I found that they flew like my FT and wanted to try something else, also love the wound channel and just wanted to give them a try....but...I have a stock of the SF's and would gladly go back to them if need be....

PS: remember you must maintain overall arrow weight at no less than 350g...how you get there is your business! Also, not sure if the vertical bow BH's are constructed the same as the CB ones...finally, the Mfgr...does not recommend opening and closing the blades more than 5 times before changing the blades...
I too have used 100 grain spitfires with diablos out of my Exomax and currently use them with BEE executioner quills. They fly great and have never let me down. 11 in the freezer the last two seasons!!
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Love the SFs, fly great and never faill to perform. Oonly broad head I've used for the past 15-20 years. After harvesting a deer I peel it apart clean, straighten glad, sharpen then reassemble. Mtg says don't open blades more than 5 times. All I do is pull the little clip out and then use a small rod with a round tip to push the dimple back out, presto, head good as new. As an experiment I marked a head as the one I would use for first (only!) shot at deer used same shaft also. Shot 9 deer with it before the last one rolled over on the shaft and snapped it. Put the head on another shaft and got three more deer, total 12. Last shot was pass through an tboned rock on other side and that finally did that SF in. Don't get much better n that in my book. currently shoot Equinox, factory bolt an 125 SFs. Gonna b pickin up a matrix 355 or 380 soon an will b shootin BEE 20 inch, brass inserts, blazers an 100 GR SFs will ride the front! Tons of great BHs out there, just happy w my SFs an feel no need to switch
On road, sorry for misspellings!

Semper Fi!
Matrix 355 - "Spike"
20 " BE Executioners, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" blazers
NAP 100 gr Spitfires
Wyvern Flemish String
DM Bumpers
Semper Fi!
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Trigger1212 wrote:Love the SFs, fly great and never faill to perform. Oonly broad head I've used for the past 15-20 years. After harvesting a deer I peel it apart clean, straighten glad, sharpen then reassemble. Mtg says don't open blades more than 5 times. All I do is pull the little clip out and then use a small rod with a round tip to push the dimple back out, presto, head good as new. As an experiment I marked a head as the one I would use for first (only!) shot at deer used same shaft also. Shot 9 deer with it before the last one rolled over on the shaft and snapped it. Put the head on another shaft and got three more deer, total 12. Last shot was pass through an tboned rock on other side and that finally did that SF in. Don't get much better n that in my book. currently shoot Equinox, factory bolt an 125 SFs. Gonna b pickin up a matrix 355 or 380 soon an will b shootin BEE 20 inch, brass inserts, blazers an 100 GR SFs will ride the front! Tons of great BHs out there, just happy w my SFs an feel no need to switch
On road, sorry for misspellings!

Awesome! Never occurred to me to to reuse after a kill with the replacement blades being so cheep!!

Semper Fi!
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

DRK
I don't replacce the blades unless they are really mangled. SFs have some of the toughest blades out there (for mechanicals). If damaged they usually just get a slight bend in them, easy to get them straight as a string in the vice an a pair of plires. If they get a twist in them they get tossed. There is juuuust enough width to the blades (cutting edge to back of blade) to b able to clamp a blade in my Lansky sharpner, with a few minutes work I can have the blade shaving sharp again! Always keep a set of spare blade just in case but vast majority of time can put them back in action. Of course if ur huntin rocky ground bent ferrels (sp?) will be the rule with many new heads needed.
Matrix 355 - "Spike"
20 " BE Executioners, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" blazers
NAP 100 gr Spitfires
Wyvern Flemish String
DM Bumpers
Semper Fi!