Alberta Crossbow Permit APPROVED!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Alberta Crossbow Permit APPROVED!

Post by IronNoggin »

Been quite an interesting & lengthy process...
A Dozen Xrays of my left shoulder, handful of follow-up appointments, and finally a couple letters from the SawBones over to Alberta F&W. "Chronic Rotary Cuff Tendonitis & Impingement Syndrome" was the analysis. Long words to state the left shoulder is simply pooched.
But, I got The Call while out fishing, and confirmed via telephone. I GOT IT!! :D

The Outfitter I occasionally work for called, he's damn near more excited than I am!
Up for extremely Good Odds for a Mulie Buck - smack in the middle of our hunting concession! He then offered to cover the jet boat fuel, camp set-up etc while accompanying me on this hunt... IF I would agree to guide for several subsequent rifle mulie hunts in the same area. No Brainer!! :twisted:

Also packing decent odds for elk over there, and options on whitetails "if I'm so inclined". :lol:

Now simply awaiting the draw results here in BC to finalize the Marching Orders for the coming fall. Can't come soon enough!!

Stay tuned Folks. Might well be another interesting tale or two down the road methinks... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
dutchhunter

Re: Alberta Crossbow Permit APPROVED!

Post by dutchhunter »

right on nog I had no idea that alberta did not include crossbows in there archery seasons ,,best of luck this fall ,looking forward to lots of pictures and a real good story Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Congratulations Matt! :D To say I'm mildly jealous is an understatement! :mrgreen: For those not in the know, until recently crossbows were only permitted to disabled hunters in Alberta. They recently allowed them but only during rifle season, except for disabled hunters, who are permitted to use them in the archery season. Alberta has an almost two months of archery season, prior to gun season and also includes many areas with archery equipment that are LEH only for rifle. This is truly one positive spin on a brutal shoulder issue and I am very happy for you Matt. I could've nailed some beauty elk and mulies if I'd had my crossbow. Can't wait to hear all about it. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

So, to be clear, are crossbows allowed in Alberta in regular archery season for NON DISABLED HUNTERS?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi5 wrote:So, to be clear, are crossbows allowed in Alberta in regular archery season for NON DISABLED HUNTERS?
No, they are not.
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Well that is still some progress towards full inclusion for us crossbow lovers.

The question I have is how often to you need to "re certify" for the disability permit? It sounds like the whole thing was pretty drawn out and expensive with all the testing and dr visits.

I can only dream of that wide selection of hunting choices. I may have to think about visiting my cousins in Calgary more often :D
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Big John

Post by Big John »

One of these days Matt I'm coming out there to witness these beauty hunts, even if only to film.!
Great to hear this! I know you'll have an awesome time!!!

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:... This is truly one positive spin on a brutal shoulder issue and I am very happy for you Matt.
Many Thanks Buddy!
Truth be told, I've learned to live with the shoulder, and there is nothing anyone can do for it anyway. Kind of a Nice Spin alright to get the crossbow access over there though!

Hunted & guided in Alberta many many years. I well know what opportunities this will bring along, and am RIGHT Looking Forward!! :twisted:

If you are not "certified disabled" (HATE that term!) you can only use a crossbow in the rifle season. This permit allows for those who meet their certification status to get in on those overly lengthy regular archery seasons. My 380 is downright GRINNING! :D
bigredopie wrote:The question I have is how often to you need to "re certify" for the disability permit? It sounds like the whole thing was pretty drawn out and expensive with all the testing and dr visits.
My read is that once you have met their criteria (one of which is "will the applicant's condition improve within the next 3 years") that you should not have to re-apply for at least 3 years. In my case, the shoulder will never get any better. Should be good for life I'd guess...

While indeed time consuming (been a "pet project" for 2 years now...) it wasn't at all expensive. Even with it's many bugs & glitches, the Canadian Medicare system works well for funding such things. All I had to pay for was the $ 15.00 fee for the SawBones to complete and send off the final form required! :wink:
I can only dream of that wide selection of hunting choices. I may have to think about visiting my cousins in Calgary more often :D
Canada is Really a Hunter's Dream come true. BC offers more than can possibly be hunted in any given year. Toss in Alberta, damn near any other Province or perhaps even the Arctic, and the choices become downright Confusing to deal with. Just a little problem that I guess I'll have to learn to live with... :lol:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Big John wrote:One of these days Matt I'm coming out there to witness these beauty hunts, even if only to film.!
Big John: You will be MORE than Welcome my Friend!
In fact, I can Hunter Host you myself for Blacktails here on the Island, or Big Black Bears the same. Alberta is a little trickier, but there are ways if you want to get in on that! Damn Few I'd ever consider offering this too, but you're in the Front Ranks! :wink: Just say the word...

And Yeah - methinks there will likely be some FUN coming up!! :twisted:

Cheers!
Nog
Tom

Post by Tom »

IronNoggin, have you looked into the Canadian Human Rights and Disability Act.

The act states that no company, government or agency shall block the access of a disabled person from partaking in activies which an able bodied person can. It also says that it is an "act of discrimination" if the person with a disability is treated differently then a person without a disability.

Acording to the CHRDA, requiring a disabled person to to fill out those "regs" to qualify to hunt with a hunting tool (a crossbow) to partake in an archery season because his disability restricts his use of normal hunting tools is an act of discrimination.

I have ben told by the Ontario MNR, the above is why crossbows are fully inclusive in Ontario.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Tom wrote:IronNoggin, have you looked into the Canadian Human Rights and Disability Act.

The act states that no company, government or agency shall block the access of a disabled person from partaking in activies which an able bodied person can. It also says that it is an "act of discrimination" if the person with a disability is treated differently then a person without a disability.

Acording to the CHRDA, requiring a disabled person to to fill out those "regs" to qualify to hunt with a hunting tool (a crossbow) to partake in an archery season because his disability restricts his use of normal hunting tools is an act of discrimination.

I have ben told by the Ontario MNR, the above is why crossbows are fully inclusive in Ontario.

Tom, I believe the caveat here is the government actually determining that a hunter is indeed legitimately disabled. At that point it's a go.

Paul

Tom
Tom

Post by Tom »

Tom, I believe the caveat here is the government actually determining that a hunter is indeed legitimately disabled. At that point it's a go.

Paul
Paul I understand that. But they do not require an able bodied person to prove that they can safely use a vertical bow (means they are treating the disabled differently).

The reason Ontario and many States fully include crossbows in regular archery seasons is just the above reason. I know some states, with the threat of a lawsuit, they backed down and included crossbows. Both Ontario and most States have basicly the regulations when it comes to discrimination against the disabled.

Years ago, I believe it was Alberta, a forum member was facing a bann from using his crossbow at his local range. When he showed up at a meeting with copies of the CHRDA and the threat of a complaint to the CHRDA they fully included crossbows.

The only way that they can actually premit a disabled person use a crossbow without being in conflect with the CHRDA is to open crossbows up to all people.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Congratulations, I recenty went thru a very similar process to be able to do the same thing here in Washington State.... I had to deal with the ADA section of the State fish and game department... I had to have my DR whom happens to be a VA Dr, certify following strength, mobility, and dexteritary tests, that my left Tricep was severed and non-operable. :roll:

As I understabd after talking with the ADA representative that as of now they have given these disibility crossbow permits to aprox. 400 archers here in WA.

I 'm looking forward to rejoining my friends back in deer camp during Archery season for the first time since my accident 3 years ago, September can't get here soon enough. :D

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Tom wrote:IronNoggin, have you looked into the Canadian Human Rights and Disability Act.

First I've ever heard of such a thing Tom. Most Interesting alright, and leads one to wonder why so many other jurisdictions still carry such requirements for crossbow use.
Tom wrote:The only way that they can actually permit a disabled person use a crossbow without being in conflict with the CHRDA is to open crossbows up to all people.
Although time consuming (and I will freely admit a little unsettling to have the "Disabled" label applied "officially") I did not find the process all that onerous. I realize that is not what you are getting at, rather suggesting their entire approach in this matter is "discriminatory" in nature. However I'd hazard a guess that challenging the relevant component of Alberta's Wildlife Act would be a LOT Bigger Hill To Die On as it were. Can't help but shudder at the thought of Lawyering Up to tackle a Provincial Government - might well make the process I've just gone through look like a stroll in the park methinks. Perhaps another may some day decide to Champion this cause? As for myself, I've had enough involvement with their bureaucracy for a spell, have in hand the Permit which will allow me to hunt with my tool of choice, and am merrily making plans to do just that. Perhaps a little "selfish" on my part, it's simply I do not wish to engage in another, much more serious round with them over something I already now have...
L. E. Carroll wrote:I 'm looking forward to rejoining my friends back in deer camp during Archery season for the first time since my accident 3 years ago, September can't get here soon enough. :D
Congratulations Gene! :D
I WELL know how you feel! For a great many years I would simply "pine for the old days" when archery season arrived. Then a Damn Good Buddy took me in hand, introduced me to the crossbow which of course re-introduced me to the whole Obsession of hunting with Pointy Sticks. Thankfully that occurred here in BC - a Province that openly allows crossbows in regular archery seasons / zones as well as archery LEH's. There have been some Fantastic times afield, and some damn great memories generated as a consequence, for which I simply cannot thank that Buddy enough for!

Given I have almost always hunted Alberta on and off, this was a natural progression to follow up on. When they changed their rules to allow those who simply cannot use a vertical bow to run a crossbow in their archery seasons, I made a very conscious decision to pursue that. Thankfully that milestone is behind me now...

And Yeah Buddy, Archery Season simply can't come fast enough!! :twisted:

Good Luck & Straight Shootin' this fall! Image

Cheers,
Nog
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

question can you use a xbow during gun season such as alberta spring bear hunt which i think you can use any weapon????