Quality inexpensive 3 D Targets for Crossbows ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GodsRanger

Quality inexpensive 3 D Targets for Crossbows ?

Post by GodsRanger »

Hi Guy ? It's been a while since I've been posting ? And I was looking through the Amazon on - line Archery 3 D Targets ? There's so many and so few reputable reviews on them ? Including a lack of Crossbow Experience ? Their either too cheaply made or too Expensive and Cheap ? The Reviews are very confusing ? I don't mind paying $140.00 + for a real good Target with options ? But, I really don't want plastic legs messing up my Carbon Bolts if I happen to suddenly move on a shot ? or blow Chunks out of the insert too soon ? Get pass throughs ? Or stuck Bolts!!!? So, do any of you Seasoned Crossbow Vets have any guidance for the new Kid ?
paulaboutform

Re: Quality inexpensive 3 D Targets for Crossbows ?

Post by paulaboutform »

Unfortunately the news I have for you is not good. There's no such thing as a good inexpensive 3D target. Previously McKenzie targets ruled the roost but it was miseryttrying to remove arrows from heavy poundage bows and they wore out quickly. Today, Rhinehart Targets are king and with good reason. They heal well, stop arrows easily, and arrows remove easily. This comes at a cost, literally. They are expensive. The larger the target, the more expensive it is. They are the only targets I would recommend getting though. Look for a target with a replaceable kill zone or cutout as it will be much more cost effective to replace just a section when necessary. Even though you can shoot broadheads at them I don't recommend doing it because you'll wear it out much quicker. Rather, get a rhinoblock or 18 in 1 rhino target for broadheads, it's the same material as the 3D targets but much less expensive. Also, be aware that there is steel rebar in the legs or some part of the targets depending what you get and hitting it with an arrow is a great way to break your arrow. That goes for all the manufacturers. This really is a case of you get what you pay for.
One other option, still not cheap, is I believe the Glenn-Del Buck. This has a replaceable kill zone that is the same as the Block layered foam. I hope this helps. I wouldn't waste my money on a great price target because I really think you'll hate it.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
galamb

Post by galamb »

In my province a small game licence is 25 bucks.

Coon, fox, coyote and skunk are "open all year".

Cheapest "3D" targets I could find :lol:

On a more serious note I have a Delta Bloodline Buck (the smaller of the two models with that name).

Given that it's about 40 bucks for the replacement core I only shoot at it for "fine tweaking" after giving the "bag target" the main work-out.

I have put maybe 50 shots in it over the past 3 years or so and it's holding up well (but haven't missed the target insert "yet", so can't tell you what a leg shot would do to it).

(edit to add - I only shoot a Vix II - don't know what a 405 Matrix would do to it as an example - probably tear it right up - hitting with 50 pounds of KE is a good thump - hitting with 100 pounds of KE is like taking a sledgehammer to a thumb tack)

I think I paid about 100 bucks for it at Walmart on the US side of the border (after the hunting season was over).
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

The Backyard Buck by Reinhart is very good and has a replaceable kill zone. The Kill Zone is about $50.00 and should last all season. I think that I paid about $160.00 for the whole target. That being said, the only good foam is the kill zone.
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
GodsRanger

Post by GodsRanger »

Thanks Paul! It's not that I don't mind paying for a high end Target ? But, if I do, I want to invest in something worthwhile ? And like you said Paul ? Replaceable inserts !!! I liked the reviews on the Reinharts !!! But, everyone questions the size of them ? Reinhart makes good stuff !!! And the reviews are mostly credible and very good!!! Easy on Bolts and healing ? I just wish they'd make something to Scale ??? But, Eye of the beholder I guess ? Thanks again Paul ! I will look for something more high end ! And possibly larger ? I can't help it ? I'm a realist !!! : )
GodsRanger

Post by GodsRanger »

Btw, Danny M. Convinced me to buy a reinhart 18 in 1 and Morrell 400 FP. When I adopted my Nightmare from him ??? They both had exceptional reviews from the Forum ! And several web sites !!!