Arrow Build?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Southern Comfort

Arrow Build?

Post by Southern Comfort »

So looking ahead and based on SEW's old post on FOC's i decided to try a new arrow set up this year shooting the FOC's. Here is my two part question and looking for advice.
(question 1)With a 18" Zombie, 26 gr. insert would the recommendation be blazer or flex fletch sk300 vanes. Blazer vanes come in at 6 grs a piece 1.987" in length, 0.568" in height. While the flex fletch are 3.0" in length X , .485" in height , 6.8 grains. I know the blazer come close to making contact with the bottom of the rail as this is the set up i am currently running now. The flex fletch is slightly less in height but 1" longer in length. Both should stabilize the arrow sufficiently but just looking for some hands on or experience testing opinions.
(Question 2) helical or offset.
Over all the arrow should weigh in somewhere between 390-400 grs, i ran a test today putting a 419 gr. arrow through my chronograph at 361 fps so deploying the FOC should not be a problem just looking for the best flight characteristics/best accuracy. Thanks in advance for any help.
Matrix 380 blackout
18" Zombies/92 gr. brass inserts
100 gr. Slick Trick Mag
18" Spinal Tapp's
170 gr F.O.C's
NChunter/BOO/ VixenMaster strings
Normous

Re: Arrow Build?

Post by Normous »

A helical fletch pattern would be my first choice. Paulaboutform has certainly tested helical against offset at longer ranges and found helical patterns producing tighter groups.
I use the 18" Zombie/FOC/Blazer/Helical with positive results two seasons now.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Adrein94

Post by Adrein94 »

Hello!!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Adrein94 wrote:Hello!!
Strange dude??? I personally have a right off set. I know most on this forum prefer a helical.. But in all of my compound, straight bow, and now crossbows i still shoot a right off set. And have no problems with 2 and 1/2" groups out to 60 yards.Now if a helical will give me 2" groups? Any how The right off set works for me. But would be interested to hear what some one like Paulaboutform has to say......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use a few jigs, depends on which vanes I'm using. Accuracy is good with either as Bubba said, to gain 1/2" @ 60 yards won't really change the game for me.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

X-2 on what Xcaliber said... 1/2" at 60 might change my mind....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bubba wrote:
Adrein94 wrote:Hello!!
Strange dude??? I personally have a right off set. I know most on this forum prefer a helical.. But in all of my compound, straight bow, and now crossbows i still shoot a right off set. And have no problems with 2 and 1/2" groups out to 60 yards.Now if a helical will give me 2" groups? Any how The right off set works for me. But would be interested to hear what some one like Paulaboutform has to say......
Hey Bubba, I'm hoping to get out some time before Boofest and do some long range testing with the helicals. I've shot them side by side with the offsets and they outperform them. Period. Throw fixed broadheads into the equation and you can't compare the two, the helicals were that much better....in my experience. If you're shooting 2 1/2" groups at 60yards, is that with field points? If so, try helicals, as Normous suggested, you'll be hitting 1 1/2" spots with broadheads(Toxics anyway). Btw., I also shot about a one degree offset from my compound for years and competed at a national level with some respectable results. I've gone to the mini fletcher and flex fletch 1.87 flp's (extreme helical) with my compound setup as well.
Sorry, back to the original post. Again, as Normous suggested, X2 for the helicals. I use 2" blazers because they work and I haven't tested anything else. I believe Flex Fletch has something comparable for crossbows. Look through their website and believe what they tell you, give them a call and talk to them. They're great to deal with and I've used their products for years. Be assured, if it wears the Flex Fletch name it's top quality...but I still shoot blazers. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Well Paul.. I will be looking forward to your findings, i consider you a top go to guy with any thing pertaining to a arrow and its flight...Thanks...