New Micro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bunt

New Micro

Post by Bunt »

I just bought a Micro a couple of weeks ago, so far I'm not impressed with the accuracy but I love the bow otherwise. I have shot the 16" bolts and 150gr field points that it came with and the 20" bolts that I use with my older bow. I would say that the 20" bolts with a 125gr point are more accurate but it still is not grouping as well as expected. I'm sure this will shoot when I find the right combination, I just don't know where to start. Anyone out there with a similar situation or suggestion.
bob watkins

Re: New Micro

Post by bob watkins »

first off get some black eagle arrows 16 in 110 gr inserts you will be able to shoot almost any good head with this set up i shoot ramcats slick tricks and am now trying the helix these all fly great out of my mirco i also have a single stage trigger tech in it hope this helps
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I am still on the fence about what bow to buy .I am leaning to the 380 but the micro is something that has me thinking ,,should this bow not shoot well with the arrows it came with ,what kind of groups were you getting with the factory arrows ,I mean if it is shooting bad enough for you to come here with this problem I would like to know more ,,,it is a lot of money to spend and I would hope the factory would sell the bow with arrows that would shoot well from it with out the need to order custom ,,Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Bunt wrote:I just bought a Micro a couple of weeks ago, so far I'm not impressed with the accuracy but I love the bow otherwise. I have shot the 16" bolts and 150gr field points that it came with and the 20" bolts that I use with my older bow. I would say that the 20" bolts with a 125gr point are more accurate but it still is not grouping as well as expected. I'm sure this will shoot when I find the right combination, I just don't know where to start. Anyone out there with a similar situation or suggestion.

...quite frankly Bunt...you really have not provided much in the way of facts or specifics other than to say you are not happy...I have a 335 Nightmare and have found it to be extremely accurate. My buddy MCS (Mike) has one also and is using factory everything (16.5" Diablos and scope) and is hitting quarters out to 40 yards off a bench...

ANthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I have shot 15, 17, 18 and 20 inch arrows out of my Micro and never saw any difference in accuracy. Of course the POI might be higher or lower depending on arrow weight but still dead nuts accurate. Like every other Excalibur i have owned. I plan on getting 16.5 arrows made up with a 110 brass insert and aluminum nocks with low profile vanes to use in my Micro and my EM 355: keeping it simple with one arrow size for my two bows.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

are you using a rest or a fieldpod when shooting?
are you testing the accuracy using a single arrow and seeing how it groups with itself?
my micro is deadly accurate.
norm
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

A few suggestions:
-check all fasteners, especially scope mount and scope rings
-make sure your scope is perfectly level
-maintain a consistant brace height
-do a box test to see if scope adjusts properly and holds zero, read this link: http://www.opticstalk.com/box-testing_topic18840.html
-spin test your arrows, if you know someone with a premium arrow, try theirs
-shoot from a rest until groups narrow

There should be no reason you're unhappy with accuracy. It makes me think a fastener is loose or your scope is bad, but you haven't given us much info to help you. Good luck!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Good advice given :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:

Post by newbie »

racking up points wrote:A few suggestions:
-check all fasteners, especially scope mount and scope rings
-make sure your scope is perfectly level
-maintain a consistant brace height
-do a box test to see if scope adjusts properly and holds zero, read this link: http://www.opticstalk.com/box-testing_topic18840.html
-spin test your arrows, if you know someone with a premium arrow, try theirs
-shoot from a rest until groups narrow

There should be no reason you're unhappy with accuracy. It makes me think a fastener is loose or your scope is bad, but you haven't given us much info to help you. Good luck!
^this!
I have owned every series that Excalibur has made and my Micro shoots as good if not better to 50 then the rest. FYI I ditched the Easton shafts for a reason as many have here as well. :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome, and congratulations on your new bow. I agree with all these guys, shoot only one arrow off a rest to set the bow up, then introduce other arrows once all setup is complete to truly realize where the variables are coming from. If all fasteners are tight, you will find it is not the bow. Brace height plays a big role in accuracy!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Never been a big fan of the micro, but not because of accuracy issues.. Just not what i prefer. But to say its not a accurate bow is hard to believe... One thing about Excalibur bows... They are all accurate.. Like others have said you have a problem with screws, bolts, brace height, or you are closing your eyes before the shot....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

I'm using a large shooting bag designed for a rifle. Should I try something different like a bipod. I did find that the scope rings weren't tight and I thought that would fix the problem but it didn't. I did check tighten all the fasteners. The string has settled in and is just starting to touch the dampeners. What would be a good brace height for accuracy?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Get at minimum 1/8" off the bumpers, and a solid rest to truly evaluate the bow! Have fun, don't hurry, and enjoy the bow. it will do what you want it to do, hunt!
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

I just finished up shooting a few groups with the same bolt(quill). I'm getting a 3" group at 20 yards. Are these Easton bolts the problem?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

What are you using for a rest? If everything is good, and snug, brace height set, you should be able to get same hole accuracy at twenty yards with stix off your lawn! :wink: