New Micro Owner, string advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Naters113

New Micro Owner, string advice

Post by Naters113 »

Hello all,
First off new to the board, on my second Excalibur. Started off with the entry level Ibex and brought down a nice ten point buck last year (first deer ever) and recently upgraded to the micro last week. I had the dynaflight on my last bow and am wondering if I should upgrade this string as well? I also see a lot of you have upgraded the trigger and would like to know more about this.

On a side note, I am a chiropractor and understand a lot of you may have gotten into crossbows because of back or shoulder problems to begin with so my expertise is at your mercy. Let me know if I can help and will gladly do so with advice, stretches, ergonomics, etc.

This board is so great just wanted to put my expertise out there in exchange for some of yours.

Thanks!

Nate
8ptbuk

Re: New Micro Owner, string advice

Post by 8ptbuk »

Welcome aboard Nate ! Trigger Tech are Great ! Once you shoot one theres no going back !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Naters113

Post by Naters113 »

Could you expand on why they are great, just trying to gain a better understanding of it all?
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Naters113 wrote:Could you expand on why they are great, just trying to gain a better understanding of it all?
less travel, and crisper break....
with stock triggers you feel more hesitation on the trigger and that makes
less experienced shooters like you and I get off target and flinch.
I think very experienced shooters will do great with either trigger but will admit the TT is more pleasurable to shoot.
welcome to the forum...
norm
Naters113

Post by Naters113 »

Best place to order trigger tech?
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

The factory trigger is very good but if you want the best a triggertech is the way to go. I do not own one but have shot one and it is awesome. A nice custom made flemish string is a fine way to dress up your bow and make it a smoother shooter. There are a number of great string makers on this forum. The two tools that every Excal. shooter should own and use is the rope cocker( for easier and more consistent draws) and a bow stringer to keep your brace height adjusted properly. And thanks for offering to share your expertise; I would be willing to also but being a grave digger I do not think I will get many takers.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Naters113

Post by Naters113 »

No worries Canoe, just use those legs when digging:). Thanks a lot for the advice!
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

canoe13 wrote:The factory trigger is very good but if you want the best a triggertech is the way to go. I do not own one but have shot one and it is awesome. A nice custom made flemish string is a fine way to dress up your bow and make it a smoother shooter. There are a number of great string makers on this forum. The two tools that every Excal. shooter should own and use is the rope cocker( for easier and more consistent draws) and a bow stringer to keep your brace height adjusted properly. And thanks for offering to share your expertise; I would be willing to also but being a grave digger I do not think I will get many takers.
i'm new to this stuff too. I will be buying first crossbow in a few weeks (micro). could you explain what "bow stringer to keep your brace height adjusted properly" means?
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

bobcat wrote:
canoe13 wrote:The factory trigger is very good but if you want the best a triggertech is the way to go. I do not own one but have shot one and it is awesome. A nice custom made flemish string is a fine way to dress up your bow and make it a smoother shooter. There are a number of great string makers on this forum. The two tools that every Excal. shooter should own and use is the rope cocker( for easier and more consistent draws) and a bow stringer to keep your brace height adjusted properly. And thanks for offering to share your expertise; I would be willing to also but being a grave digger I do not think I will get many takers.
i'm new to this stuff too. I will be buying first crossbow in a few weeks (micro). could you explain what "bow stringer to keep your brace height adjusted properly" means?
You will need a stringer to help you keep brace height where you want it to be as strings will creep( lengthen) some as they break in. Shooting with too high a brace height and you loose a few fps, shooting with too low a brace height and you put additional stress on limbs and limb tips. The stringer won't cost much and is something you ought to have in your kit. There is a recent thread about this and it contains a video on making one from strong cord. Might be worth a look.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If in the USA get a Danny Miller stringing tool, you can reach him by phone only.740-483-2312. If you go with the Excalibur brand, make sure it is the metal reinforced model. Wyvern Creations also carries Danny Miller tools, and if in Canada, Boo here on this forum is the contact for these tools.
Welcome aboard, and congrats on the new bow!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Smith123

Post by Smith123 »

Naters113 wrote:Hello all,
First off new to the board, on my second Excalibur. Started off with the entry level Ibex and brought down a nice ten point buck last year (first deer ever) and recently upgraded to the micro last week. I had the dynaflight on my last bow and am wondering if I should upgrade this string as well? I also see a lot of you have upgraded the trigger and would like to know more about this.

On a side note, I am a chiropractor and understand a lot of you may have gotten into crossbows because of back or shoulder problems to begin with so my expertise is at your mercy. Let me know if I can help and will gladly do so with advice, stretches, ergonomics, etc.

This board is so great just wanted to put my expertise out there in exchange for some of yours.

Thanks!

Nate
Thanks for your consideration. I'm a newbie here and this is going to be my first post. As you are a chiropractor, I would like to clear some doubts regarding some treatments. I'm having severe back pain and I just need to get rid of it by any means. I'm ready for any therapies or anything that would solve my back trouble. The doubt is that, When I consulted a physio of a nearby clinic called Physiomed in Toronto( http://www.physiomed.ca/ ), he told me that physiotherapy will be a better option to get rid of my pain. I'm not sure will that work for me. So I need a second opinion on this from you. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Boo

Post by Boo »

You should stick with what came with the string until you decide you want more. There's no point in buying a solution for an issue that doesn't exist.
Same goes for the Trigger Tech. Shoot your bow for a while to let the trigger sears do some breaking in and if want to satisfy the need for a better trigger then this is certainly one of the best options.
Keep in mind that the vast majority of Excalibur owners are happy with how the bow came and kill deer with no problems at all.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bubba

Post by bubba »

Like Boo say's a lot of members are satisfied with their bows as they are. I'm on my second bow from excalibur, and have found the stock triggers on both my Ibex, and 355 are fine.. I see no need for a trigger tech, if you have no issues with what you have, why change it. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2nd Excalibur...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)