Scrapes and Rubs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sliver

Scrapes and Rubs

Post by Sliver »

Well,, was out this morning to do some final preperation for Oct 1... When I finally found what I was looking for...I knew they would be there,, Nice new rubs & scrapes.... Had the trees just thrashed up real good! anyway,, gives me something to think about :lol: :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
GaryL

Re: Scrapes and Rubs

Post by GaryL »

Sliver wrote:Well,, was out this morning to do some final preperation for Oct 1... When I finally found what I was looking for...I knew they would be there,, Nice new rubs & scrapes.... Had the trees just thrashed up real good! anyway,, gives me something to think about :lol: :wink:
Great :!: But now come's the hard but fun part!! :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I ran into 5 scrapes in a row along a tree line a couple of weeks ago. I thought this was pretty early for scrapes around here. I put my first stand up this morning behind my house, and will put up another this week across the road. The woods is sure beautiful right now, and the trees are full of those confusing fall warblers. Hundreds of them, and most species look so similar you can't tell them apart.
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

Set up my stand yesterday(near Watford) and saw 3 rubs within 10yds of my stand. I also saw a lot of droppings on the trail leading past my stand. Last year I saw the droppings in the same area and ended up shooting my first 2 bucks(a 5pt and a 10pt). Here's to hoping!
Butt

Scrapes and rubs

Post by Butt »

Went out yesterday afternoon to make a final check on my stands and put some apples out. I posted earlier about getting permission to hunt this new piece of land and put my stands up and found a rub afterwards just over from one of my picked locations. Now I have six rubs all out in front of my tree stand one tree is about 4 inches in diameter and tracks all over the place :D :D
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

I was reading in this months issue of North American Whitetail that bucks refresh their scrapes right after it stops raining. They recommend setting up a treestand downwind of a good scrape and then leave it alone until a day when it is raining. Try to watch the weather and be in the stand just before the rain stops or else the buck will beat you to the scrape. Sounds like it's worth trying, I'm going to try it out this year!!

Nick
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

I came accross a fresh scrape while grouse hunting. I noticed it had been sprayed with urine. I take it it was from a buck.
-Richard-
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Been in the bush nearly everyday for two weeks checking stands and game cams. Not one scrape or rub yet as of yesterday! I know there are deer in there, as I have seen them and the game cam is going of 2 to 4 times a day on both cameras. Does a mature buck start the rut later, as he is a big one?
When you whack them you better stack them!!!

Re: Scrapes and Rubs

Post by Guest »

GaryL wrote:
Sliver wrote:Well,, was out this morning to do some final preperation for Oct 1... When I finally found what I was looking for...I knew they would be there,, Nice new rubs & scrapes.... Had the trees just thrashed up real good! anyway,, gives me something to think about :lol: :wink:
Great :!: But now come's the hard but fun part!! :twisted:

The hard but fun part is not taking a poke at this young fella.

Saw him while waiting for mr. Bruin to arrive.

Post by Guest »

RichardS wrote:I came accross a fresh scrape while grouse hunting. I noticed it had been sprayed with urine. I take it it was from a buck.

Either that or you have some mad hatter grouse in your parts.

The rut is on up here in N. Ont. but the visible signs sure dont seem to prove it. Must be the heat.

Post by Guest »

Most all rubs this time of the year are not rut related but itch related.
Bucks are trying to rid themselves of dried velvet clinging to their antlers.
I saw a small buck still in velvet on the weekend.

Post by Guest »

I could be wrong but that yearling bull moose pic sure looks like he's still sporting velvet!!!!!!!!!!
gth

Post by gth »

It was a few weeks ago, but yes hes still in velvet.