I just bought a zeiss xb 75. Nice optics
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
canoe13

Re: Scope Decision Time

Post by canoe13 »

The Nikon Bolt is my favorite scope. Just the right size on a crossbow and the optics are top notch. I tried a Hawke and switched back to the Nikon. Smaller scope but a better view.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

nchunterkw wrote:
wabi wrote: Something you might keep in mind as a new crossbow shooter is that in hunting situations you will not be shooting "rifle distances". So factor that I to the equation.
Its funny you say this because when I was looking at the Nikon Bolt XR Crossbow scope, I saw it has up to 32x power and I was like "what the hell?!" Almost all my RIFLE scopes are 3x-9x power adjustable so why in the world would you need a 32x scope for a weapon that isn't designed to make a kill more than 60 yards (and from what I have read that is pushing it and for experienced archers)?
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

So how does Zeiss optics compare to Leupold optics? Honestly I am the kind of person that usually buys whatever has the best "bang for the buck". Like if the Leupold was amazing and $300, and the Zeiss was 90 percent as good as the Leupold but only HALF the price... I would go with a Zeiss hands down. I have seen many products be just a hair less than the top product yet cost half the price... that is where "bang for the buck" is. Have you ever noticed when they sell computers they will have a top of the line processor (ex: 2ghz processor) for a premium price (ex: $200 up charge), but then the processor one step lower that is 1.8 ghz is half the price, even though it is only a 10% less speed. Bang for the buck.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

Ouch, Zeiss is more expensive than Leupold... just looked them up. I have always heard good things about Zeiss when in the market for a rifle scope, but I never looked into them. I have always had great results and been very happy with all my leupold scopes on my rifles. Is Zeiss worth the extra money over a Leupold?
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

Anyone own or shoot a Hawke 3x32 MAP Crossbow scope? If so how do you like it? How does it compare to say a Varizone? If its a decent scope, and better than the Varizone, it seems like for the price (under $70), its a great deal... again assuming it is of higher quality than a Varizone.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have a crossbones and a nikon bolt .the bolt would be perfect for your bow dosnt have a speed ring but it is calculated for a bow of 305 fps almost dead on for your bow. The nikon works great for my 330 i got heavy arrows draggin the velocity down to that level its perfect....i agree with others the varizones still a good scope shot one for a long time no issues.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

SLP82

"Its funny you say this because when I was looking at the Nikon Bolt XR Crossbow scope, I saw it has up to 32x power and I was like "what the hell?!" Almost all my RIFLE scopes are 3x-9x power adjustable so why in the world would you need a 32x scope for a weapon that isn't designed to make a kill more than 60 yards (and from what I have read that is pushing it and for experienced archers)?"

The Nikon Bolt is a 3X power scope with a 32mm objective lens.

Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

SLP82 wrote:Ouch, Zeiss is more expensive than Leupold... just looked them up. I have always heard good things about Zeiss when in the market for a rifle scope, but I never looked into them. I have always had great results and been very happy with all my leupold scopes on my rifles. Is Zeiss worth the extra money over a Leupold?
Zeiss glass is awesome ! Leupold makes one of the most durable scopes on the planet BUT falls behind when comparing the quality of glass to Zeiss !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
bubba

Post by bubba »

8ptbuk wrote:
SLP82 wrote:Ouch, Zeiss is more expensive than Leupold... just looked them up. I have always heard good things about Zeiss when in the market for a rifle scope, but I never looked into them. I have always had great results and been very happy with all my leupold scopes on my rifles. Is Zeiss worth the extra money over a Leupold?
Zeiss glass is awesome ! Leupold makes one of the most durable scopes on the planet BUT falls behind when comparing the quality of glass to Zeiss !
X-2 Well said there are a lot of crossbones followers that love them. But the Ziess smokes it for clear glass and bright optics, as far as i'm concerned the Hawke XB-30 pro Sr, Leaves it in the dust. Thats the new for this year Hawke pro. I looked and researched scopes for months, Before i decided on the new hawke pro. The only other scope that had my interest was the Zeiss, and i finally wen't with the Hawk for the lighted reticle, Do yourself a big favor look down as many as you can, let your own eyes decide... Ziess, Hawke xb-30 pro.. The best there is for crossbow specific scopes............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

Deerstalker wrote:
The Nikon Bolt is a 3X power scope with a 32mm objective lens.

Ah, I looked it up on Amazon.com and this is a direct copy and paste from it:

"Crossbow scope with 3 to 32x magnification and 32mm objective lens"

I guess someone just typed up the description wrong. Good to know. I will have to take another look at the Nikon after I play with the Deadzone for a season. The Nikon's price is on point for me.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

bubba wrote: Do yourself a big favor look down as many as you can, let your own eyes decide... Ziess, Hawke xb-30 pro.. The best there is for crossbow specific scopes............
Yeah I guess I just need to hit up Gander Mountain and Bass Pro and check them out. Luckily I am only about 20 minutes from both of them.

One thing I remember an older gentleman with much more experience and knowledge than me, told me that it is deceiving looking through a scope in a well lit building. He said the really big difference is noticeable just at the dawn and dusk when there is a lot less light.

Ive been doing some research on rangefinders the last 2 days, and all seem to work well but the big complaint I see that really separates the rangefinders is the cheaper ones won't work in low light, fog or rain. If white tail is mostly what you hunt and your piece of equipment doesn't work in low light... it is almost worthless in my book. Then again I saw someone simply say "measure your distances during the day and mark or remember where the land marks are and that is your "kill zone". Also seems like a simple solution.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
bubba

Post by bubba »

Sure looking thru a scope in all light situations would be ideal before buying, but not gonna happen at a big box store, My advice try and pick out a solid object in the store like a dark back ground and a light solid color, adjust the focus look for any distortion around the edges little imperfections, Fish eye effect, pay close attention. You should be able to separate the the worst ones, Then do it again with the ones you liked.. Take it home and test it again in all light situations, i'm sure you will get a return slip if the one you choose don't pan out. There are as i said a lot of decent crossbow specific scopes out there, but only a handful top shelf... It's all about what works for you and your wallet. Good Luck..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)