Scope upgrade

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bunt

Scope upgrade

Post by Bunt »

I'm looking to upgrade the scope on my Micro, is it worth mounting a leupold or a Nikon or some other brand? I would definitely put new steel rings on it. I would like the same features as the Excalibur scope with speed adjustment and the aiming points in the reticle. Just looking for some advice on the pros and cons.
bubba

Re: Scope upgrade

Post by bubba »

A lot of members like the stock optics on there Excalibur bows, saying that i am not one of them. Personally the first thing i did was to remove them, I replaced the scope on my first bow the Ibex with the Nikon Bolt, and have never looked back, i feel for the money it's the best crossbow specific scope made. Scopes are of a continuous debate here on the forum, or any where else. Every one has their favorites and stand by them, some time's blindly defending them. So i say.. Look thru as many as you can. Let your own eyes be the judge. And how deep your pockets are..... SMILE... Here are my three favorites. 1. Nikon bolt, around 150.00 2. Hawke XB- 30 pro SR. around 230.00. 3. Ziess XB-75. around 400.00. Good luck to you. and may all your arrows fly straight.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

Just added a Vortex XBR Viper to my Matrix 380. I am very happy with this glass. First shot at 19 yards in basement range after installing the scope was dead on the bulls eye.
A vast improvement over the stock optic. I have Vortex binocs and have been very please with Vortex. Life time warranty like many of the others. The XBR came down significantly in price I paid $250 on Amazon, dropped shipped in three days.
FWIW...
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
bubba

Post by bubba »

Great choice, The bottom sure fell out on the price. Because of the m.o.a. adjustments instead of yards, but i don't see it being to hard to figure out. But was the big reason along with the price, not many were being sold, i hear the glass is among the best you can get. Please keep us posted on how you handle the m.o.a. vs yardage. I would very much like to hear all about it. Good Luck..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

Another question regarding the vortex. Did you have to buy the vortex offset rings?
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I suggest that you look at the Nikon Bolt for your micro. This scope is light, short, accurate, rugged and has a 3" to 4" eye relief. The Bolt does NOT have a speed ring and is NOT lighted. The optics are very good in low light conditions. I use my Equinox for hunting & have sighted the Bolt in for X-hairs at 25 yards and use them for all shots out to 30 yards. I use the first circle for shots over 30 yards and do not shoot at game over 40 yards.

Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Just bought a Hawke XB30 SR Pro for my Micro. Tons of eye relief, good in low light. Infinitely adjustable Lighted Reticle and cross hairs from 20 to 60 with posts out to 100yds!! Also has built in metal scope covers and the adjustable speed ring you are looking for.
For the money I think it is an awesome crossbow scope - but I like the lighted reticle for first and last light, or for when you are in dark conditions where the animal blends in. The reticle on this is bright enough to use in full daylight if you wish.
Great small scope and shipped to me from Wyverns for $249.90 with rings.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have a crossbones on my micro n a bolt on my 330 honestly there both really great scopes . The nikon dosnt have a speed ring its dialed for a 305 velocity your not gonna notice shootin 50 yards or less sight it in for thirty . N save 150$ on the crossbones . Just my 2cents
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ps if you chose the bolt get the rings deer stalker shows .weaver med. 12 screw tactical rings overkill maby.... but there worth it i have them on both bows
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

So if I narrowed it down to the leupold crossbones or the hawk XB30 what would you choose. I do agree that a shot past 35 yards is max but there are conditions that a longer shot is possible.
bubba

Post by bubba »

That's a good one... I own both, one is on my Ibex the other on my 355. The Hawke xb-30 is a higher quality scope, but the Nikon Bolt is no chump. Can't go wrong with either.....
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I chose the hawke for these reasons
lighted reticle
multiple aiming points

Crossbones tiny crosshair seemed like it would be hard to find in low light to me.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><