Newbie with Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ccamp200

Newbie with Questions

Post by ccamp200 »

Hi All-

FNG here. Just ordered my first crossbow - Matrix 380 Blackout - and wanted to introduce myself. Planning to use primarily for deer hunting but also target practice.

I am planning to order the additional things I think I will need - was thinking of these, but I don't know what I don't know - please advise if I don't need some of these things or if you'd recommend others:

1) Target(s) - Have been eyeing these made by a local guy - https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/sgd/5128699670.html - has anyone ever used anything like this? Any feedback on such a target would be appreciated.

2) Strings - Danny Miller Flemish

3) String changing stringer

4) Additional arrows BE Zombie Slayers from what I read on here - how many does one need? I see conflicting reports on my 380 - One place I saw said 20" and another said 18" - can someone please confirm and where is the best place to buy these?

5) Danny Miller Arrow Puller Pliers

6) Excalibur Serving Wax - or other?

7) Excalibur Rail Lube - or other?

So is all this necessary and what else will I need for the every day care and feeding?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Exekiel 22:30 - And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

Black Matrix 380 "Meat Maker"
Boo

Re: Newbie with Questions

Post by Boo »

You can order the the BEAs (Zombies) from Danny.
Ditch the rail lube and get some silicone spray. Spray a rag with the silicone and give the rail a good rub to clean the deck. Then flip the rag and dry it off. Dirt will slide off. I use a micro fiber cloth.
You haven't mentioned broadheads so I'll suggest Slick Tricks and G5 Strikers.
I haven't used the blob but from what I've read, they are a bit abrasive. Either way, foam targets will rip away at your decals and make them unsightly so you might want to remove them with acetone.
Have fun and welcome to the forum!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Blob is an awesome target FOR BH's. NOT for FP's. If you shoot a ton of BH's yes it can be abrasive but for normal use they can't be beat IMHO. Been using one for 2 or 3 years not sure but it's awesome. And I still have NOT had an arrow poke out the back.

Oh my 405 takes 18" arrows and sure yours will also.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

ccamp200 wrote:Hi All-

FNG here. Just ordered my first crossbow - Matrix 380 Blackout - and wanted to introduce myself. Planning to use primarily for deer hunting but also target practice.

I am planning to order the additional things I think I will need - was thinking of these, but I don't know what I don't know - please advise if I don't need some of these things or if you'd recommend others:

1) Target(s) - Have been eyeing these made by a local guy - https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/sgd/5128699670.html - has anyone ever used anything like this? Any feedback on such a target would be appreciated.

2) Strings - Danny Miller Flemish

3) String changing stringer

4) Additional arrows BE Zombie Slayers from what I read on here - how many does one need? I see conflicting reports on my 380 - One place I saw said 20" and another said 18" - can someone please confirm and where is the best place to buy these?

5) Danny Miller Arrow Puller Pliers

6) Excalibur Serving Wax - or other?

7) Excalibur Rail Lube - or other?

So is all this necessary and what else will I need for the every day care and feeding?

Thanks so much for your help!!
....nice intro ccamp200, well done and welcome to the family...yes, we are a family in that we all help each other, learn from each other and share our experiences with each other...why not complete your registration so that we know where you hail from... This also helps us in helping you...

.... You have picked up a mighty fine crossbow in the 380.... I own one and love it....18 inch arrows are the ones that will come with your 380 and that is the length that most shoot...

..... ZS' are the current best arrows that you can shoot out of that rocket launcher...

..... Probably the best thing you could do is contact Dr. Danny Miller... He holds a Phd. in everything Excalibur...search his name for his phone number... He is out of Ohio...he will direct you in really what you need and won't try to sell you anything extra... He might even tell you to hold off on a Flemish until you gat accustomed to what you have....

.....again welcome aboard and ask away!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ccamp200

Post by ccamp200 »

Gentlemen-

Thanks so much for your responses. I actually spoke with Danny today before I ordered - will be calling him again to place an accessory order. Don't want to bug him too much and would like to get to know you all.

So, your continued advice will be most appreciated and I look forward to being able to return the favor some day.

Will gladly complete my profile once I figure it out - until then, I hail from Newnan, GA.
Exekiel 22:30 - And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Welcome aboard to the forum and Excalibur.
The Blob target is an incredibly strong target for broadheads.

The Blob will hold up for years of broadhead shooting and comes with a one year pass through warranty as long as you are not pounding the same spot over and over. The target weights roughly 80 pounds but is worth the $$ and weight.

Another option for a broadhead target is the Rinehart 18-1. This target is a little less expensive, physically lighter and is kind of an octagonal ball.They make a small discharge round ball target too and the larger one. If the 18-1 is your choice make sure you grab the bigger one. They are roughly $129.99 here in Jersey, and the Blob is 24x24x10 and cost $140.00 delivered ( http://www.blobtargets.com/24qx24qx10q-blob-out-of-box ).. I have both targets...

If your primary target use is going to be a stationary target, the Blog is definitely the way to go.

However be advised in advance, if you shoot field points into the Blog be prepared to put some serious effort in pulling that field point arrow out unless you pre-lube them first. if you lube the first 6" of the field point arrow it is not a big deal pulling them out. Warning: The Blob targets are not a pretty looking target, they do not come with aiming dots on them either. Just so you know. They are made of recycled industrial materials and I believe formed by being poured into a massive mold. That is why they appear kind of unfinished..BUT THEY SURE DO WORK.

Remember to adjust your brace height to where it sits at least 1/4" back off the rubber bumpers. I'm not sure if there is a rail line etched in that model for a reference so a 1/4" is a good place to be back from the rubber bumpers. I'm sure those in the know on the 380 better than me can advise you more on that.

The Danny Miller flemish strings are great. Almost no string stretch once they break in, which might be 15-20 shots. The center serving is incredible and lasts a long time. I do not have his rubber bumpers, but from what guys that do have them say they are great.

Good luck on an incredible bow..Pics and posts from you are now expected once you are squared away,, :D

As a side note: where did you order your bow from?

Wow, I just checked out that link you posted from craigslist.. For $60.00 each and he delivers up to 30 miles way, I'd get two, Damn, Id drive the 30 miles to grab two at those prices.. That is a no loose deal for you on the Blob targets..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome aboard, looks like you know what you need, and all of the advice mentioned is good advice. I would shoot the bolts you plan to hunt with using broadheads, and put them in the quiver, practice a lot with the other ones once verified accuracy with BH's.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ccamp200

Post by ccamp200 »

Boo wrote:You can order the the BEAs (Zombies) from Danny.
Ditch the rail lube and get some silicone spray. Spray a rag with the silicone and give the rail a good rub to clean the deck. Then flip the rag and dry it off. Dirt will slide off. I use a micro fiber cloth.
I haven't used the blob but from what I've read, they are a bit abrasive. Either way, foam targets will rip away at your decals and make them unsightly so you might want to remove them with acetone.
Hey Boo - thanks for your response - can you please be a bit more specific on the silicon spray? What is the brand? where do i get it? Thanks!

ccamp200

Post by ccamp200 »

Boo wrote:You can order the the BEAs (Zombies) from Danny.
Also Boo, i did leave off broadheads.... what weight field tips came with my 380?and, assuming im shooting zombie slayers, what brand /weight broadhead is most likely to minimize scope adjustment?

as i am brand new to this, i want to keep it as simple as possible....Thanks!

Boo

Post by Boo »

I use automotive silicone spray. If you shoot field tips into a foam target, spray the same stuff on the first 2" of the arrow to make extraction much easier.
The field tips that cane with in the kit are 150 gr. You'll want 100 gr tips if you buy BEAs wit brass inserts.
If you want to minimize scope adjustments between field tips and broadhead, get the 1" standard Slick Tricks or go to any compact mechanical like Excalibur's Exacts. Both afore mentioned broadhead are 100 gr. Squaring the front insert wiĺl help.as well.
ccamp200

Post by ccamp200 »

Thanks Boo!

Sorry for bugging you again with a noob question, but what do you mean by squaring the front insert?

Thanks!

Boo

Post by Boo »

It's a tool that re-cuts the front of the arrow (insert), square or 90 degrees to the axis of the arrow shafts. This reduces the broadhead's ability to steer the arrow. http://www.lumenok.com/#!online-store/c ... y=11897800
https://youtu.be/lrfTScT1Znc
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Way it was described to me with the steering of the arrow . Put your hand out the window of your car . Tilt your hand up or down even slightly . It doesn`t take much . Same goes for the broadhead . If it is not square to the axis as it rotates . The arrow will do a circle rather than a spin . :shock:
That is the reason as well for fletching on the back of your arrow . With a perfectly turned bow you can shoot fieldtips with no fletching for a short distance . But when you add a set of wings out front . You need to steer the rear end inline with the front .
Remember there is no dumb questions when starting out . :)
So ask away . School is in session . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your 380... They are a super bow. And like said there is no stupid questions.. Good members here that are always biting the bit to help. A family for sure..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: