FNG W/Plenty of Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: FNG W/Plenty of Questions

Post by xcaliber »

TheBig1 wrote:I appreciate your input Hillbilly. I'll definitely consider Muzzy's.
The folks here are superior to any other source of information for Excalibur's. Not only did you pick a great model, you joined the university of crossbows. We don't always agree, and I think that is a good thing for the reader, it offers reasoning, along with varying opinions based on real field use. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If'en yer short on funds make a slave string to use as a stringing aid. Take a good cord of high poundage n put a Bolin that fits real snug jus past the mag tip on each end. Once you slip it over the mag tips use rope cocker to pull it back into trigger n set safety. Now you can twist yer strig up fer brace ht. Keep the cord under the spring retainer as you cock it. These fixed BH's always show good accuracy, Montec G5, Strikers, Stingers, Snuffer SS N HellRazors jus to name a few. Make sure you stay wid min of 350gr total arrow weight you be good t go
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

TheBig1 wrote:I appreciate your input Hillbilly. I'll definitely consider Muzzy's.
:lol: A lot of good heads out there, to each his own :wink: . . .as long as it puts meat on the ground! :wink:
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Greetings. Welcome aboard TheBig1... Try the heads that you already have. If they don't do well for you, use what was suggested for you to try... First things first. Get the feel of your new bow, read your manual and follow the recommendations. Watch the instructional DVD, if you have one, or check it out on here... They were made/written by people, that have forgotten more about these bows, then we will ever know... Good luck. J.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard.
Some good info given here :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thank you everyone for your input. I'll be taking it all under consideration as I progress through my learning stage with this new crossbow.

One point of clarification, my package did NOT include broadheads so I'm starting from the ground up which is why I came here with my question.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Again, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and input on everything.

I just wanted to report that a buddy of mine at work who shoots an Axiom suggested the two bladed mechanical Rage broadheads. They were on sale at Dick's for $30 so I bought two packs with plans to return them if they didn't work. Well I'll be honest, they didn't disappoint. They flew true to form.

Now after some minor adjustments yesterday I'm hitting bullseye's at 50 yards. I couldn't be more happy with my Matrix Grizzly.

I did pick up a restringer as was suggested, learned what brace height is and how to adjust it, as well as picked up some R.E.D.S to install. Now all I want is a cheek piece which none of my local shops had for my particular model.

I look forward to the wealth of knowledge held by all here, thank you again.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Muzzy Trocar and Muzzy MX3 shoot like field tips for me. :D :D
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Cityboy

Post by Cityboy »

x2 on the MX3's
"never fry bacon naked"
nighthawk

Post by nighthawk »

Welcome, I use 150 gr. excal broadheads,and I just zero with those BH,and good to go.Seems to work for me.I've lost track on how many deer I've taken with this set up. I have taken deer out to 45 yds no prob. Good luck
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-Zone Scope
150 grain boltcutters