exocet finally arrived

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deepsouth

exocet finally arrived

Post by deepsouth »

My exocet off ebay finally arrived the bow is in excellent shape. It's going to need a string and I'm going to change out the Tasco Bantam scope for a Nikon X bolt. It came with a one field point bolt and 3 broad head bolts. The broad head bolts are brand new and never been shot. The broad head bolts are Easton Magnum xx75 2216 with Muzzy 100 4 blade broad heads. The fetching is 4 inch veins. Right behind the the broad head is what looks like a small brass washer I assume this is for extra weight? The bolts have half moon knocks in them should I change those out? From reading here thesebolts seem to be set up right.
JimG

Re: exocet finally arrived

Post by JimG »

Excal used to be firmly against moon nocks. I'd use flat nocks if I were you.
deepsouth

Post by deepsouth »

Ok thank you I will get them changed out.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Be tick toter killen time fer sure :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Bought a Exocet awhile back myself and love it ! Also put a Nikon Bolt on it and its a great fit ! You'll be very pleased !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
deepsouth

Post by deepsouth »

If I can easily cock this bow by hand, which I can do, is it ok to do that? I've read several different thoughts on here about that. It seems to me if I place the sides of my hands against the barrel of the bow and draw it back it would be the same each time. Both of the sides of my hands ride down the side of the barrel of the bow preventing me from pulling more to one side or the other.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Even though you can cock it by your hands, you're get better accuracy using a cocking rope, plus it will cut the cocking effort by half the weight which is a giant plus. I tried using my hands some when I had a Vortex and my accuracy was ok a lot of lefts and rights though. I switched to a cocking rope and the accuracy was great. Congrats on your Exocet, my brother has one and loves it.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

You can take the moon nocks out and replace them with aluminum inserts. Just make sure the inserts don't have sharp edges (fine sandpaper will quickly cure the problem if they do).

I shot a Vixen for years and cocked it by hand. No accuracy problems for me, but I kept my thumbs tight against the rail when cocking it to prevent the string from moving sideways.
wabi
deepsouth

Post by deepsouth »

Wabi that's what I'm trying to explain.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The 165 Exocet was my first bow and we didn't have rope cockers back then. I had to use a rat tail file to cut a groove in the stock when the rope cockers first came out!
Like Wabi said, cocking by hand is no problem and causes no issues. I would take a contrasting coloured thread and tie it on the serving at the edge of the mainframe. When I cocked the bow I could see if the string was uneven or not.
If you decide it's a keeper look for a set of caved tipped limbs. They don't make them any more but you can use mag tipped limbs instead.
Have fun! It's a cool bow!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
deepsouth

Post by deepsouth »

Thinks Boo. I'm going to call the Danny Miller fellow on Monday to find out what weight bolts I should be using. Are the muzzy 4 blade broad heads good? From all the reading I have done on this sight,around 200 pages, this bow probably want work well with mechanical broad heads. I had thought about a heavier slick trick. What I have now I'm figuring around 350gr to 360gr bolts. From all the reading I've done I should be heavier ,around 400. No shooting over 35 yrs.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Boo, thanks for mentioning the tip of marking the serving to visually show the serving is centered when the bow is cocked. I always did that, but forgot to mention it.

I would suggest a 375-400gr arrow weight with that bow for a good compromise between speed & smooth performance (reduced noise & vibration).
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

wabi wrote:Boo, thanks for mentioning the tip of marking the serving to visually show the serving is centered when the bow is cocked. I always did that, but forgot to mention it
Mike, at our age if between the two of us we can remember most of it, we're doing really good!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
deepsouth

Post by deepsouth »

hey guys thanks for the help
bubba

Post by bubba »

Great advice given.. We are talking way before my time, Cocking by hand, a colored string to see if you are cocking level...You can really tell the old timers of Excaliburs.. Smile,, Nothing personal. Boo and Wabi, don't want you guy's beating me with your canes, and throwing geritol vitamins at me......Smile...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)