Slooowww 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Re: Slooowww 380

Post by strum »

This a classic ..mine is bigger than yours scenario..
three or 4 guys get together for a shoot and decide to see whose is the fastest.. and someone came up short.
yes as i recall we had a big thread about this when the 380's came out. not many of them actually did 380fps .
if is was me , i wouldnt sweat it..but i can understand why a guy would feel like his bow wasn't preforming up to par. his best option is to ask for a higher deflection pair of limbs.
me .. i want to know i can drill the same hole over and over. speed is over rated in my opinon. what if he does all he can to win the speed war with yall and then yall take more deer this year than he did :shock: :shock:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

There would be a whole whack of happier people if chronographs were more expensive. :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Strum I resent that last post ! Are you saying a fast bow isn't as accurate as a slower bow ! I beg to differ ! If someone is willing to pay a 1000 dollars and get a bow shooting as slow as the model under it , All power to him ! That's his decision . But a lot of people demand it be what it's advertised to be !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
bubba

Post by bubba »

Thanks Boo and Strum for adding some humor to this thread... Smile.. Think with that said i'm gonna go outside, and sling me a few arrows with my hot limbed 355, which means nothing to anyone but me. And have a big grin as i walk to retrieve them........... Oh!! Right on 8ptbuk... Still grinning....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Boo

Post by Boo »

8ptbuk wrote: Are you saying a fast bow isn't as accurate as a slower bow !
If you're splitting hairs, what you think Strum was saying is right. Speed enhances irregularities and imperfections in a bow. But I don't think that's what he's saying.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
strum

Post by strum »

Boo wrote:
8ptbuk wrote: Are you saying a fast bow isn't as accurate as a slower bow !
If you're splitting hairs, what you think Strum was saying is right. Speed enhances irregularities and imperfections in a bow. But I don't think that's what he's saying.
not sure what i was saying :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

didnt mean to offend.. but conversely .go buy a vertical bow that shoots advertised speed. 90% of them do not ..and im talking very high end ones too..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I can understand both sides. I believe all bows should be rated with 400 grain arrows. Who shoots 350 grain arrows anyways? Not very many I bet. :wink:

If one is not happy with the performance, pickup the phone and make the call.

A friend has a 330 and it shot 307 FPS.

I have all my pre matrix bows and they are the same. It is the way it has always been. We are all under achievers.

I will leave it at that and be a fence sitter. But I know how I feel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CHEERS!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I guess another way to look at it also is that if the bow is not making speed, it could be an indication that there is something not right with it.

Difference in brace height from one bow to the next.
Distance from the chrono.
Is it the same string material?
Is it an older string that has been reserved?

Just throwing out ideas...

With that said:

The manufacturer has to establish a baseline in order to determine what it is capable of doing.

380 FPS is the baseline, so if it falls short, you have to ask why? The "given" speed of any bow is the result of the limbs, power stroke, arrow weight and string material used to measure the performance of the bow. Somewhere within that there could be a an issue.

What is the margin of error when testing for speed? 2%, 5% either way.. hot or slow?

For me, 15 FPS is a lot to give up on a "totally stock bow" if I were shooting the bow with the same 350 grain arrow and string as the manufacturer used in the advertising. I may not expect that 380 FPS on the dime but I would expect a very low percentage variable. 5 FPS either way is nothing and I could accept that, not 15 FPS unless something else is not on par with the other bows.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Boo wrote:There would be a whole whack of happier people if chronographs were more expensive. :mrgreen:
the old saying

"What you don't know will not hurt hurt you"
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

One thing many people do not think of is the fact that as soon as the arrow leaves the string at its top speed it immediately starts to slow down from gravity and air friction. It never hits the target at its factory rated speed. But a faster arrow does have a shorter flight duration so less time for the laws of physics to affect the flight.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Exomag6.5

Post by Exomag6.5 »

In addition to Don's comment about chronograph's being inexpensive is the flip side of that equation...not only are the entry level ones inexpensive they are of cheap quality and that CAN equate to inconsistent measurements...difficult to calibrate....hard to trust.

Peter has mentioned on several previous threads that the "330, 355, 380" designations on these bows are closer to an average of the speeds the bows are capable of under very controlled conditions by very experienced shooters...and every bow has the potential to be different.
I like the old things best....old friends, old knives, classic firearms, seasoned firewood, vintage wine and aged scotch.
Carved limb Exomag
Matrix 355
Too many knives. Favs-my Grandpa's Buck knife, my Dad's Schrade Sharpfinger and my DaGriz.
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

my 405 mega chronographs 398 fps with a 400 grain arrow shot over a Prochrono digital.

don't mean to stir the pot, but just letting you guys know.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

This seems like the perfect time to quote our beloved Awshucks, "Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!" :wink:

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Your paying for advertised speed when choosing your bow.... otherwise a 310 or 330 would cost the same as a 380 or 409... people deserve to get what they are paying addiitional $ for when putting out big bucks for more performance.....

just my $.02, for what it's worth.

Gene
Exactly this. I have the 405 but if it shot like a 380 (and I don't care how well it shot) it's going back.
Bubba I am with ya brother.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Sam, just Sam...

Post by Sam, just Sam... »

I am an admitted noob, new to excal, new to FPS, new to a lot. I used to hunt with shotgun and rifle, so jumping the string, fps, broadhead planing is all new to me. Take the following with a grain of salt.

I tend to be pragmatic in my view on life, it's a blessing and a curse. So pure pragmatism would say:

What are you shooting?
What FPS (translated into KE) would it take to humanely kill the thing?
Does my bow do that?

If you are killing targets with field points, guess what? Doesn't matter what FPS is goes, you value accuracy over all else. If you are killing Cape Buffalo at 50 yards then FPS (KE rather) matters real fast. I would do some research on what you want to hunt, what the average range is, and how many Ft-pounds you need at impact. To be honest the most important thing is when you are sitting in your stand or blind that you have full confidence in your set up, and you can take a shot with full faith that the freezer will be full at the end of the day. Also a 30.06 bullet at 186 grain going 2,800 FPS still won't kill a deer if you miss! FPS, KE, all that is second to hitting a kill shot... But what do I know?
Titus 2:11-14, 2 Cor 5:11-21,
Micro, not much done to it, pretty awesome as is.
Sam