....just got my first pistol permit in Joisey (help!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R4fan

Re: ....just got my first pistol permit in Joisey (help!)

Post by R4fan »

If you buy any ammo, I usually check gun-deals.com. It is usually cheaper to buy ammo by the case, pay no sales tax and have it shipped to your door. If you order from Cabela's they usually have sales on ammo and they always have a promotion where if you spend $99, shipping is only $5 (just bought a Rinehart target from them, $5.00 shipped).

I don't by any ammo locally, it's cheaper to order it and have it shipped to your door. :mrgreen:

Also, the site has a list of all the ammunition in the caliber that you choose, and priced high to low by vendor.

http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/9mm+Luger

I order a lot of my ammo from Aimsurpus.com or SGammo.com
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

i have carried a Glock 22 (.40) for 25 years 4 mo. has been rebuilt 1 time, bet i got bout 15,000 rounds through it. They ain't got no romance to them but they work! dont let anyone tell ya that "one shot with their .45 will put'em down"! As a LE firearms instructor/ glock armorer who in hell shoots anyone once? a 9 and 380 will work:wink:
yer on the right path!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
amythntr wrote:....I just got my first pistol permit in Joisey...took less than 3 weeks (go figure in this Obama state)....

....Would like a little help with ideas for a possible selection of what to buy....looking for something small, yet powerful and fun to shoot...already told the Mrs. that I would like to take her and do some shooting....

....awaiting your suggestions (which I am sure will vary)....as a piece of information already MCS (Mike) has pointed me to the Glock 42 and 43 380 and 9 mill....

Anthony :)
Anthony, is this a permit to own or is this a carry permit? Not up on your state laws? May help in suggestive ideas..[/quote

.... Permit to own.... This is Joisey you know :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... Just as MCS told me... There is a lot to consider in making an "informed" purchase.... Probably the reason he owns 6 or 7 :lol: :lol: ...

..... I like the idea of getting a chance to getting to road test and kicking the tires on a few before settling in on that first one... Keep em coming, thanks!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Glock 26 is my ccw. I have a 45 Colt Gold Cup for show.
frisky

Post by frisky »

9mm ammo is quite reasonable priced . .$$
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Look at Hickock45 videos on youtube. He covers them all and good stuff.
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Anthony congrats on the permit I've carried a S&W .45 for over 29 years and would not have anything else as my main gun, as for back up I have carried everything from .380's to 9mm. I'm partial to all Smiths but like Sigs and Springfields and all 1911's. You need to really get out and see what you can grip and shoot the best. Good Luck and have fun shooting.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

I own a 9mm Smith and Wesson Shield I have shot it a lot and I have had no
problems with it.The recoil is light and its easy to break down for cleaning!
Congrats on your permit! I got mine a couple of years ago! Ron!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I didn't see this is not for a CCW, to start, and get used to shooting you can't beat a 4" 357, with 38 special brass. They are accurate and from mild to wild offer a lot of power options as you get used to a handgun, and can still realize how accurate out past 50 yards a handgun can be!

I can reload 38 specials cheaper than you can buy 22's, and can produce loads that will cut one ragged hole at 25 yards all day long. If I want wild, 175 grain SWC w/ heavy doses of H-110 or 2400 in 357 mag brass will get your attention. When you master that you can handle the fun stuff,,,,, like my SB in 45 Colt, or the FA 83 in 454 Casull, or even the encore in 460 S&W,, and that I can stretch it's legs out past 250 yards reliably on big game!! But you need something fun to shoot that don't break your arm or the bank and the 38 special is probably the most accurate target weapon of choice, or the 45 acp, both the most widely used for accuracy! The 45 can take a little more work for some to get used to it's recoil.

I hardly shoot my 4" 357 today, I am usually shooting 230 grain 45 acp's to practice with my CCW 1911. But prefer to shoot 340 grain 45 Colt loads or same bullets in the 454 casull, and love the 460 in my encore, or the 410's in the Ruger 480,,,, today I just love the big bores, but I will never get rid of the 357,,,, every handguner should have a 38/357 handgun,,,,,, they to me are the only centerfire to consider for a starter gun,,,, if target is your goal,, 6",,, if you just want to shoot and hit a pie plate at 15 yards maybe a snubby 2" BUT DON'T EXPECT TO LEARN HOW TO SHOOT AT ANY DISTANCE WITH A SNUBBY,,,, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!
Last edited by wildcatter on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:YouTube best reviews on guns, look for "hickok45"
X2 on that As Hickok 45 is as true blue as they come. Got to shot an AR in a 308 He Hickok auctioned off once out at the Gun club I go to. 380 and 9mm got a lot of punch these days esp 380 an don't forget the revolver for all the time ready to go mode if God forbid that should come about. Get what fits your hand the most comfortable and spend a lot of time at the range ....
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Starvin' Hillbilly wrote:i have carried a Glock 22 (.40) for 25 years 4 mo. has been rebuilt 1 time, bet i got bout 15,000 rounds through it. They ain't got no romance to them but they work! dont let anyone tell ya that "one shot with their .45 will put'em down"! As a LE firearms instructor/ glock armorer who in hell shoots anyone once? a 9 and 380 will work:wink:
yer on the right path!

-ken
x2 all the way. That is a lot of rounds through your Gluck-lol I mean Glock as they sure are awesome Handguns....
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

looking for something small, yet powerful and fun to shoot...already told the Mrs. that I would like to take her and do some shooting....
I'm going to stray from everyone else's suggestions. 1873 SAA (Single Action Army). Colt or one of the many other makers. Colt is more dollars of course. In 38 Spc/357 Mag. Get yourself a nice holster rig, a sombrero :D ....................and have FUN.

E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Anthony,

Congrats. I have had mine for about 38 years and it has only come into play twice... Once to foil a car break in and once to stop a tweaker I found going thru my shop looking for things to sell for drugs.... Both times they were held until police help arrived.

Neither time was it fired.

I found years ago that those of mine that are too heavy, or too big, just stay in the gun safe .. :roll: . We live out in the woods in a 2 story log cabin which is somewhat secluded. I prefer something accessable if ever needed.

I have found 3 that work for me under certain conditions..

1. Kimber crimson Carry II .. a 25 oz. ( empty weight ), 3" 45 acp with a Crimson Trace lazer built into the grip..... No guessing with this one as "it hits" where the red light is. Mine was also fitted with "Night Sites" and ambidextrous safety by special order from Kimber. A true man or varmint stopper with 8 rounds on tap. ( With one in the chamber and 7 in the mag. )... a great choice but a bit spendy. :shock:

2. Glock 19 compact 9mm very accurate, light, and 15 rounds on hand, plus one up the tube :wink: Never had a jam and totally reliable... Go's with me alot especially in the woods where cougar have been known to come into a cow elk call. :shock:

3. Best of all is my S&W M 49 bodyguard ... snub nosed 38 with a shrouded hammer on each side ( won't snag or hang up on clothing ) but which can still be cocked into single action mode and " Let down again " if shot is not taken... Its very light, while providing 5 shots with complete reliabilty and if the need ever arrives, it can actually be shot from inside a jacket pocket 5 times reliably ... A semi-auto does not offer this option as it will "Stove Pipe" ( will jam, as spent case can't clear the ejection port while in a pocket as it ejects )

Those are my choices after years of exprimentation.. I'm sure you'll come up with what's best for you....

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Anthony, whatever you end up with look into Trijicon Night Sights. Wouldn't own a handgun without them...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott