Newbie Broadhead Review (Rage)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fergie

Re: Newbie Broadhead Review (Rage)

Post by fergie »

LOL
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Lol Nice one Chef!
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
JimG

Post by JimG »

I'll do yah one better..............why can't y'all just shoot Boltcutters????? Seriously!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Chefrific wrote::lol:

Chef, which Ramcat's do you recommend?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

TheBig1 wrote:
Chef, which Ramcat's do you recommend?
I'm shooting the 100grain from my micro.
16.5" BEZ's
92g inserts

Shooting insanely good.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

The 100gr G5 Strikers shoot exact same point of impact as my field points out of my 380.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Fergie thanks for the testing and info on the rage. I am currently using the crossbow-x 125. I have taken 25 deer with regular rage, 1 with rage extreme, and last year I took 4 with the new crossbow-x 125. I believe some hunters are using the new shock collar which is on the new rage heads incorrectly. I know a local archery store owner that was telling his customers to place the blades on the slits of the shock collar. He had no clue there was tiny arrows on the collar that line up with the blades. My point here is that incorrect info could lead to problems with the new rage head especially opening early if the blades are not lined up. I have read a lot of bad reviews on this forum and others about rage; however, could it be that these shooters are not using the heads correctly? The 5 deer I shot with the rage last year all died under 30 yards. I have been blessed to take 70 deer with x-bows over the years and all them with mechanicals. I also like heads that fly like field points; therefore, Is the reason I shoot mechanicals only.

BIG D
Last edited by Big D on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Big D, that's a good point and information that I did not know as far as the shock collar placement. The directions included in the package didn't say anything of the sort. I don't know what the problem was with mine, but unfortunately there was a problem. I really did want them to work for me, but at 50 yards shooting about a foot lower than my field points, I couldn't take the chance, I had to move on and try something new.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Big D

Post by Big D »

There should have been a small colored piece of paper in the package that shows you how to line the blades up with the shock collar. This paper is very small and most probably throw it away without noticing. If you lined up the blades incorrectly and the opened prematurely it makes sense you missed by a foot.
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Interesting how polarizing most Rage discussions are. I've used them in the past with no issues. That said I have been lucky to keep my kill shots to under 30 yds in recent years.

For me, it's all about confidence. If you have any doubts about any equipment you shouldn't be using it while hunting. I guess that's why I've moved to Spitfires in recent years.
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Big D

Post by Big D »

Spitfires are another great choice. As I stated earlier I have harvested 70 deer with mechanical broadheads. First 15 with buckblasters next 25 with spitfires and the last 30 with rages. I know a lot members do not like rages but they are my favorite head especially the new crossbow-x because of the shock collar. I have lost deer in the past; however, I personally think it has to do with other factors like shot placement and not the broadhead. I think most hunters including myself like to blame equipment for lost deer instead of blaming themselves.
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

Chefrific wrote::lol:

hahaha
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
fergie

Post by fergie »

good point about the shock collar, when i first started using them when they switched to the shock collar, the instructions are vague and I thought they wanted you to line up the inside blade with the slit in the plastic shock collar....... I tried and looked at it for a second and as soon as i thought about it I knew it wasn't right and lined up the inside of the blade with the middle of the plastic pedal of the shock collar and pushed down on the blades as if they were entering something and watched the shock collar plastic breakaway like a pedal..........
don't know if that makes sense or not but I have full confidence in these broadheads. actually me, my father-in-law and a friend of mine that all hunt together at my house here all practice with them out of an exocet 200, exomag and my m380 and have shot numerous deer with them. we all have full confidence in them.
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Rage heads have burned me twice, no more! I like fixed heads, but i am resolved to try the the Spitfires this year. I have had very good luck with Cabelas Laser Strike 2 mechanical heads, and NAP Shockwaves. Both use an "O" ring, and do massive damage. I'm also a big fan of NAP Thunderheads, and soon to try the Muzzy 100's which so far fly perfectly from my M-330. My buddy uses Slick Tricks, and can hit a dime at 50 yards, never lost a deer! Just saying. 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
fergie

Post by fergie »

don't forget when you use a broadhead with a rubber o ring that the rubber deteriorates over time, whether it's a rage with rubber o ring or any other brand. the bands dry out and break easily over time and I sometimes think that is the problem sometimes with some mech broadheads and people having premature deployment of the blades. my father-in-law and other friend still use the older rage two blade with rubber bands and coat them with olive oil and replace them every once and awhile............