What grain should I use

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Heusser

What grain should I use

Post by Heusser »

I just bought a matrix 405 and they come with 150 grain fieldpionts but I want to use 125 broadheads so I bought 125 grain field points does it affect that bow if you change from 150 to 125 and what do yall think about nap Killzones
Big D

Re: What grain should I use

Post by Big D »

With a powerful bow like that I would shoot a stiff arrow with 110 brass inserts and 125 broadhead. That would give you 235gr. up front for good foc. Example arrows would be zombies, executioners, and gold tip lazer 4s. My friend has the 405 and uses lazer 4s with 125 head and gets great flight. I have a 330 with executioners and 110 inserts and 125 head cant ask for better flight. Good Luck.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The stock arrows come with light weight aluminum inserts. See how your flight is at fifty to sixty yards. If you plan on staying inside of forty just for hunting I don't think it'll matter much. I wouldn't go any lighter with your current setup. When you have to buy more arrows I suggest going to the black eagle zombies with either 92gr or 110gr brass inserts. This will allow you to shoot pretty much whichever broadheads you choose. Congrats on your powerhouse of a new bow.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good advice there. With the 125 grain heads you should be around 375 total grains.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Heusser

Post by Heusser »

Ok we're can I find some inserts and how much shuoud the ones I get weigh yeah im at 375 what should I be at I would try to shoot out 60 yards is 375 of for that or should it be hevier
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Heusser wrote:Ok we're can I find some inserts and how much shuoud the ones I get weigh
I don't recommend getting them for your factory arrows. Removing the inserts is a whole different ballgame and you'll probably end up damaging the arrows. Use what you have now and when you decide you need more go with the zombies. It's your choice as to 92gr or 110gr. Both are excellent. Depending where you are you can order custom shafts or make your own. Either way, I recommend using the Arizona Rim E-Z fletch bolt with 2" blazer vanes at 18" with plastic nocks = deadly accurate combination. Btw....these far superior shafts are about the same price as the factory shafts.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Heusser

Post by Heusser »

So with the setup I have the arrows that come with the bow and the 125 Killzones will work ok with the bow and I shouldn't change anything right now is that right
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You should be good. Practice with the Kill Zones, I had about a 2" drift to the right at 40 yards with them.
Heusser

Post by Heusser »

Ok thanks for the help everyone
Big D

Post by Big D »

I use my four factory arrows for follow up shots if I drop a deer with a spine hit. I always keep one in the quiver. The weight difference between arrows only changes the point of impact a little not much. If you have the extra money you can buy some zombies or executioners off Danny Miller he sells them individually. I know my executioners were around $6 each they come with 110 brass insert and blazer vanes already. With that powerhouse your shooting my personal opinion is to shoot a heavy arrow with as much up front as you want its still going to be blazing fast and if you hit a shoulder blade you won't have to worry. So if you want you could buy 3-4 arrows and see how they fly. I will be surprised if you don't get better flight and better grouping with the heavier setup and higher F.O.C at longer distances.
Heusser

Post by Heusser »

Ok thank this really is helping anything any one else wants to say let me know
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Heusser wrote:Ok thank this really is helping anything any one else wants to say let me know
....Yes I do!

....WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

....stay active and you will find there is a ton of knowledge to be learned!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

amythntr wrote:
Heusser wrote:Ok thank this really is helping anything any one else wants to say let me know
....Yes I do!

....WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

....stay active and you will find there is a ton of knowledge to be learned!

Anthony :)
X2, and we just can't read enough hunting success stories either. :wink:
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

I have a m405 too and I did some refletching of both the Diablo and some executioners I have with a .003 stiffness. I used the Arizona EZ fletch Bolt and Boeing's fletching tape. Here's what I found:

1) That tape is the shiz man. Easy easy easy to use. Only hard part was at times getting the backer to come off. Will go get a gasket pick from Autozone to help with that. Otherwise... WOW easy. Seconds not minutes...

2) Deeper penetration even with the Bag target I have that was taking the arra's only about 4 inches with straight vanes, found the exicutioners almost wanting to pass through. The EZ fletch puts a great helical on the arrows that I feel very confident in using broadheads with the m405.

3) put just a minuet drop of super/fletching glue on the tip of the vane just to help adhere it on pass throughs.

Over all, the EZ fletch with fletching tape is the cat's meow for sure and a nice heavy bolt will be going the distance and will not be pushed around by the wind. Around 80 bucks to do your own fletching and you can order the bolts from your favorite person/vendor then it's just adding your blazers and off to the races.

Oh and the diablo's wanted to go 2" left and 4" high of POA compared to the exicutions... aluminum is lighter. My m405 wants to toss logs man...
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call