Best Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Best Scope

Post by TheBig1 »

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what scopes everyone has and what your feelings are on the best scope? Now of course I'm not talking about the Zeiss line of products, but lets be reasonable in our suggestions.

I'm asking this question for future use as I'm already broccoli deep in trouble. :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
bubba

Re: Best Scope

Post by bubba »

For me it's simple. With all the research i have done, and let me say this...This is my opinion because you will find out people can get real touchy on this subject. But at the top for me there is only two. The Hawhe XB-30 Pro Sr crossbow specific scope, and the Zeiss XB-75. And on the second shelve, the Hawke XB-1 and the Nikon Bolt. If you want numbers and my reasons shoot me a P.M. be glad to answer your questions... Good luck..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Bubba, I'd have to say that out of the four you suggested probably the Nikon Bolt would be in my price range. I was actually looking at this earlier before I posted the thread. I like the scopes with the multiple reticles instead of just one reticle.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have a Nikon Bolt on my 355 and am very satsifed with it's clarity, percise adjustment capability and quality. But then , I'm pretty happy with the Excaliber Vari-zone as I have two mounted up and they are serving me well and trouble free...

Had I more $ to experiment with I may of made different choices, but staying within my price range, these are pretty nice. :D

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

L.E., after reading some reviews on the Bolt, do you find it difficult or a pain as far as the dots are concerned? There were some complaints that they're hard, if not impossible, to see in certain low light conditions.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

The light issue with non illumiated scopes for me is an issue as I get older. However, I raise the scope to a "lighter area" above the target and then lower it to the correct circle for the particular range and it's working pretty well.... Do I wish it had a lighted recticle capability... :wink: That would make it the best scope out there regardess of its price point.

Using to pre-set referance points takes some getting used too also, but overall I'm finding it pretty easy to make the adjustments and it's preforming to all of my expectations.

BTW, as I'm not sure what bow you are thinking of putting it on ? I might add that the yardage reference circles are set up percisely for bows in the 300 fps range, at 10 yard incriments beyond 20 yards ( but work very nicely with others you just need to become familiar with it and where she hits at the speed your bow shoots )...

I did find the Nikon Spot On chart very helpfull and accurate. All you need to do is enter the speed of the bow and arrow weight and all of your marks are referanced for your particular bow... To use it and almost every other crossbow specific scope, to it's full potential a range finder is recommended. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

TheBig1 wrote:Hey everyone, I was just wondering what scopes everyone has and what your feelings are on the best scope? Now of course I'm not talking about the Zeiss line of products, but lets be reasonable in our suggestions.

I'm asking this question for future use as I'm already broccoli deep in trouble. :lol:

Its really hard to find a crossbow only scope thats got everything! My Zeiss has great glass/clearity & best reticle. What it doesn't have most ppl. is the Illumination n bein small sized. So where do we find one that has it all ? Nikon has no Ill. nor does the Leupold crossbones. The Hawkes don't come close to the Zeiss, their best one has the Ill. & i think many ppl. like theirs, they sure weigh in heavy
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks a lot everyone for your input. At least all of this info points me in a direction.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

There is no better buy right now than the Vortex XBR cross bow scope. They are clearing them out at 1/3 the cost. Reticle graduations are in minute of angle not yards. Anyone that shoots rifles understands MOA. Much better than yards as far as I'm concerned.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Hunt, Amazon has this scope marked down from $700 to $250. Holy Poop!!!
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Some like the Vortex scope others like me run from it. Fer those who like the reticle layout its great scope. Fer myself its way to cluttered to hunt deer n hogs in this thick timber, may get confused wid all the markin's :lol: Its a very good crossbow scope, i don't knowed if'en you can really use the 10x in the woods/timber huntin, but fields it would be useful
Last edited by vixenmaster on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

bubba

Post by bubba »

I agree with mike on this one, Vortex is a mighty fine clear optics, but m.o.a. markings are just more than i want to handle, the price drop is unreal.. But the reason for it? no one was liking the price and only a few were being sold, now the price dropped and more people bought them, but the returns and reviews were mostly due to the Fixed m.o.a. reticle. Just to confusing. But hey if you have no issues with converting m.o.a. to yardage.. Then this would be a great scope to consider...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

The Nikon Bolt Xr is light, short, accurate and rugged with a 3" to 4" eye relief. I use mine for hunting & have the cross hairs set for 25 yards and I use them for all shots out to 30 yards. 1ST circle is for shots over 30 yards and I don't shoot over 40 yards.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Deerstalker wrote:The Nikon Bolt Xr is light, short, accurate and rugged with a 3" to 4" eye relief. I use mine for hunting & have the cross hairs set for 25 yards and I use them for all shots out to 30 yards. 1ST circle is for shots over 30 yards and I don't shoot over 40 yards.
Y'all i do think the Nikon is very decent scope. Fer many it would be great wid Ill. If'en they set it up fer abit faster crossbows also. I may end up gettin one of them to put on Banshee
Half Bubble Off BD360

bubba

Post by bubba »

vixenmaster wrote:
Deerstalker wrote:The Nikon Bolt Xr is light, short, accurate and rugged with a 3" to 4" eye relief. I use mine for hunting & have the cross hairs set for 25 yards and I use them for all shots out to 30 yards. 1ST circle is for shots over 30 yards and I don't shoot over 40 yards.
Y'all i do think the Nikon is very decent scope. Fer many it would be great wid Ill. If'en they set it up fer abit faster crossbows also. I may end up gettin one of them to put on Banshee

Mike all that's needed is to use your computer and go to the Nikon web site. To their ballistic chart type in the speed of your bow, weight of broad head and complete arrow weight. and all the numbers you need will come up, you can use different 0 points 20 yards 25, 30, whatever fits your set up best. Look it up its simple and sweet....