Best Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fredd

Re: Best Scope

Post by fredd »

hawke scopes for me. would not have anything else.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I like the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) method of sighting. (fits my mindset when a deer is in the sight picture)
After multiple scope failures I let Danny Miller talk me into a Leupold VX1- 2-7x33 shotgun/muzzleloader scope. After A little experimenting with the scope I found I could use the variable power to adjust the duplex crosshair to give me 3 yardage marks.
I have switched to a Leupold VX2 1-4x20 (needed the VX1 for a muzzleloader) and it works just as well for me.
Sight in at 25 yards and the crosshair alone works fine for aiming on deer from 0-30 yards (on my Phoenix at about 290 fps). No confusion on which mark to use when aiming at a deer (yes - I've missed a couple using the wrong yardage mark with a "crossbow" scope). With the Leupold and the 25 yard sight in I've yet to miss a shot, and all shots have resulted in short blood trails.
Both Leupolds are plenty bright enough for me to use during legal hunting hours, too.
wabi
bman940

Post by bman940 »

Bubba is correct with his reply. Using Nikon's Spot On Program to dial in your crossbow is very simple. Obviously knowing the velocity of the bolt is extremely important. As with any program, the results will only be as good as the data you enter. I have chronographed bolts and found them to routinely be around 5-7 % less then stated velocity. Even using the given velocity of a x-bow we have had good enough accuracy to shoot an orange off a watermelon at 45 yards.
If you're looking for a reasonably priced scope for your crossbow Nikon's Bolt XR is defintely worth taking a look at.

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks everyone for all of your opinions. I truly appreciate it. I think I will consider the Nikon as it's more in my price range.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

No one has mentioned the Leupold X bones and I just made a trade for one :roll:

What are your thoughts on this model ? I'm thinking it will be a good match up with my M355 and move the Nikon Bolt to the Axiom with it's lower speed as I think the Bolt is preset for bows in the 300 fps range.

I have 8 Leupold's mounted on various Varmint and hunting rifles and they have never let me down... Beside I only live 45 minutes form their plant in Beaverton Oregon which is also a plus. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

L. E. Carroll wrote:No one has mentioned the Leupold X bones and I just made a trade for one :roll:

What are your thoughts on this model ? I'm thinking it will be a good match up with my M355 and move the Nikon Bolt to the Axiom with it's lower speed as I think the Bolt is preset for bows in the 300 fps range.

I have 8 Leupold's mounted on various Varmint and hunting rifles and they have never let me down... Beside I only live 45 minutes form their plant in Beaverton Oregon which is also a plus. :wink:

Gene
I spect the Leupold Crossbones is very nice scope. I jus like the Zeiss XB75 i have on my Nitemare cause its great glass n it has the yardage marked from 30 yds out to 70 yds . So its very easy to see what the yardage is with range finder n not be confused by a bunch hash marks
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

Gene, I just put a crossbones on my 355 and compared to the Nikon its the cats meow. I shoot a fairly heavy bolt, after shooting through the chrono I set the speed ring and presto arrows on target from 10 to 60 yards. Sharpness, and light gathering abilities are about the same between the two.
Have crossbows will travel
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

For me there is no best, or one scopes fit's everything,,,,, The Original XB-30 Pro leeft a lot to be desired, it used a 6 setting light intensity for green or red, that was to bright for the only time I use a lighted reticle,,,, before sunup, and after sundown. That last 30 minutes of legal hunting can be very dark on no moon heavy clouded, or heavy canopies overhead in hollows and thickets. These scopes all work with after daylight hours useable illuminated reticles, they do go dim enough, but the 2nd gen I have on the Lynx I would only use in snow when the lighted reticle is not intrusive to the background.

I have the 2nd gen. XB-30 Pro on my snow camo Lynx, love that reticle on snow, the circle is great for 30 yard zero, top of circle is on at 20, and bottom on at 40. the rest are close enough, maybe like 49, 61 72,,,,,etc The reticle after sundown on a snow background is not intrusive, it's perfect for me.

The Mad Max I have the this years version of the XB-30 Pro on it, they use the same reticle as the SR, very nice with a less busy reticle in dark backgrounds when using illumination, and the improved variable illumination strength on both these scopes is very much improved over the Original XB-30 Pro!!! I had the Tenpoint Rangemaster Pro on this bow last year because in early season and when the background was dark leaves woods and open dirt, the XB-30 I had on the Lynx was way to bright, and was a struggle to see my target at last legal light,,, this new model and the Tenpoint are the best I've found for lighted crossbow scopes that can be turned down low enough not to drown out the background.

Then on the Micro I go with a Tenpoint Rangemaster Pro,,, great illumination and the compact size with the 30mm tube give a great veiw before and after daylight hours, this scope only goes to 60 yards on the chevrons, but thats farther than I hunt. The red side is the only side useable at last and first legal hours, as the green side turns the whole inside of the scope green, but low and red is perfect! If I want to shoot out past that for fun I use the 380's anyway's!! This scope is at home on the compact Micro in my opinion!!!

The size and the lack of illumination is the only thing that keeps me from using the Zeiss,,, but in time I think we will see illumination,,, and when we do, you can be assured,,,, the weight will go up!!!

The Vortex XBR I have and someday may use it for something, but not a crossbow, way to big, to much power to be useful at crossbow hunting range, but!!! it has the best optics one could find, I find it a great scope if it could just be used under 3X and have all the aiming points on at 10 yards, or 5 yards intervals. But when one or two are on at 10 yards and then you have to remember some are at 5 yard intervals and so on it ain't set and forget,,,, the three scope I own are,,,,, and all fit my needs perfect under 3x magnification, so I have what I want,,, more field of view.

But whatever or whoever we are all lucky as today we have great choices for about anyone. After talking to Burris this summer we are going to see even more options in multi reticle crossbow dedicated scopes, as they are jumping into the crossbow scope arena soon,,,, it just keeps getting better and better!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

wildcatter
great review, very helpful, thanks, norm
bubba

Post by bubba »

Wildcatter, I have pretty much come to the same conclusions, about the Hawke XB-30 Pro Sr crossbow specific scope's. Not saying they are the best...But after,I feel was a good amount of time looking for the scope that fit my needs and all the variables i came up with the Zeiss XB-75. Even had one on lay away. And then i had the opportunity to look down the new this years Hawke XB-30 Pros, not the compact's or the older last year model. But the last two that have came out. Difference being one with circle dot zero and the other with the cross etched reticle. Other than that. Same improved glass, and the stepless rheostat with endless adjustability. I had looked at the older models. For me the improvements are what convinced me, to cancel the Zeiss. And go with the Hawke. It has and surpasses all wanted in a crossbow scope. And with that said if? The Zeiss ever comes out with a illuminated reticle ?... Smile...Well it will be just be a day late and a dollar short..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

bubba wrote: I had looked at the older models. For me the improvements are what convinced me, to cancel the Zeiss. And go with the Hawke. It has and surpasses all wanted in a crossbow scope. And with that said if? The Zeiss ever comes out with a illuminated reticle ?... Smile...Well it will be just be a day late and a dollar short..
We will remember you said that when they release that Illuminated model,,,,, :wink:

I'll probably be buying one when they see the light,,,,,,, pun intended,,,, :lol:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
Mason34

Post by Mason34 »

I just bought the Nikon Bolt today and so far I'm really impressed with it on my Micro. It is very clear and the spot on was well spot on. I had it zeroed in 2 shots!! I couldn't pass the deal up either I had a 20% off coupon for Dunhams that Dicks honored which took it from $149.99 down to 119.99 what a great deal and it didn't break the bank.. I also love the compact design of it on the Micro it's almost as if they were made for each other!!!
Micro 335,Nikon Bolt, Xcaliber(Dan) strings and 15.5 Zombie Slayers!!
Bow Hunt Everything!!!!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Congrats Mason34.... That Nikon Bolt i'm sure will serve you well.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
bubba

Post by bubba »

Yep ....Two times..........
Last edited by bubba on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Mason34 wrote:I just bought the Nikon Bolt today and so far I'm really impressed with it on my Micro. It is very clear and the spot on was well spot on. I had it zeroed in 2 shots!! I couldn't pass the deal up either I had a 20% off coupon for Dunhams that Dicks honored which took it from $149.99 down to 119.99 what a great deal and it didn't break the bank.. I also love the compact design of it on the Micro it's almost as if they were made for each other!!!
Thats a great buy Neighbor!!! I don't shop at Dick's but that's a deal that can't be beat!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!