Compressed cardboard target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deepsouth

Compressed cardboard target

Post by deepsouth »

I have access to piles of cardboard. I was thinking about making a homemade target out of it. Heres the plan, 2x12 on the bottom, card board in between about a 1ft thick and however high I want it, 2x12 on top. Run allthread through the 2x12's and tighten down compressing the cardboard. this should stop a arrow out of my exocet 165. I have all the stuff to do this for free. Anybody ever try this? What do yall think?
Hi5

Re: Compressed cardboard target

Post by Hi5 »

Not good for broadheads.

For target or field tips, it could work. However, it will be hard to withdraw arrows stuck into the target. Most shooters would prefer a bag target that is filled with compressed fabric. It will stop an arrow and will allow the arrow to be pulled out with no effort.

Do a search here and you will find advice on how to make your own. It won't cost more than your compressed card board--maybe less, and will work better.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

This will work for field points, I've seen it with phone books. A friend of mine has a target exactly as you've described but has strips of carpet, not cardboard. Works like a hot dang and easy arrow removal. It's been shot with the M380 no problem.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
deepsouth

Post by deepsouth »

yeah not planning on shooting broadheads into it. Just field points. Hmmmmm carpet sounds good to may have to look into that.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

deepsouth wrote:yeah not planning on shooting broadheads into it. Just field points. Hmmmmm carpet sounds good to may have to look into that.
Just make sure it is fairly clean carpet or all the sand and grit will cause premature arrow wear.
Hank
kamont

Post by kamont »

Will work fine for field points, carpet clean or dirty if it has jute back it's hard on shafts. I used to use old 2x4 ceiling tiles, worked fine had to keep it dry. spent $100.00 for my 18 in 1 Rinehart and never looked back.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Cardboard done as you described works excellent for field points. Will last you years. We used to make them like that at our hunting club. You will be very happy with the outcome. CHEERS!