Help choosing first crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bunt

Re: Help choosing first crossbow

Post by Bunt »

I was going to buy a Matrix 355 last year but it wasn't in the budget, then the Micro came out. Same price for either bow but the Micro comes with anti dry fire and the string bumpers where as the 355 doesn't. I bought a Micro this summer and I love it.
Last edited by Bunt on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zipline

Post by Zipline »

The flatter trajectory has me leaning towards the 380, that seems pretty important in the tight timber i hunt in.

Whats the difference between the matrix 380 and the mad max?
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Zipline wrote:The flatter trajectory has me leaning towards the 380, that seems pretty important in the tight timber i hunt in.

color :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I owned n traded a 405 fer the Micro Nitemare. I have shot several friends 380's. I owned a 355 n jus sold it to buy anudder Micro Nitemare 355 when they break out in the next 5 months. I am disabled but can rope cock mine but after several times i sit down in chair let my leg cock it. I have shot it 50 times in a day. Mine isn't as fast as the 380, 346 fps vs 374 fps. It is shorter, lighter more narrow. I jus love the much smaller platform it built on. Its doubtful i will buy anudder Matrix, but they are very good models no doubt about that
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Zipline

Post by Zipline »

How does the micro shoot compared to the 380s and 405s. Is there a big difference in trajectory and accuracy out to 50 yards or are they fairly similar?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Zipline wrote:How does the micro shoot compared to the 380s and 405s. Is there a big difference in trajectory and accuracy out to 50 yards or are they fairly similar?
Of course its not as fast as the 380 or the 405. It is very good at holdin its own. I have a Zeiss XB75 scope on mine. Scope has 75 yd marks n i have it set at 10 to 75 yds. I have a place wid a pond that gives me out to 80 yd shots. I will be usin all around the pond, :D My arrows weigh 372gr avg. Then my backup arrows weigh 395gr, i shall reach out n touch about a dz of them tick toters
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I have the Grizzly
I have dropped hogs with it the biggest was 180lbs
I am stepping up to a 355
If I was to do it again I would go with 380 between the 2 bows
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

My 1st crossbow was the 380 and it is very impressive! Whatever one you pick you will enjoy the accuracy and the punch they deliver. The cool thing about the forum members is that they will give you sound advise as you tweak your bow setup. :D Excals Rock 4 Sure!
Good luck with your season!

deertrx
PS buy a good target shoot different spots, or buy more arrows. :mrgreen:
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Of those 2 the 380, like has been said ADF, string stops, and more performance at nearly the same size platform,,, either one will do all you need,,,, but how many of settle for all we need,,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

I have a Phoenix an Equinox and a Micro and they are all shooters.
Microbuck

Post by Microbuck »

Have you held any of these in person? The reason I ask is because some folks are surprised at how big the matrix crossbows are. The micro to me is the perfect blend of size and power, IMHO. I'm biased though :mrgreen:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....Hey Zipline welcome aboard the Excalibur Express nice to have you chirping on in...I skimmed through the postings so if I repeat something said I apologize...In choosing a bow my suggestion is that you mosey on into a store and shoulder a bunch of what they offer and see how they feel...any of the Excalibur line will do the job for sure...but it really needs to fit and feel right.

...I own both the 335 and the 380...and lets just say being "majestically built" and towering in at 5'4" :shock: the 335 is the perfect package for me in terms of how it fits...but wouldn't you know...I shoot the 380 better than I do the 335...

....In any event, if money is not an issue there is no reason why two bows should be out of the question...after all don't we need a back up?

....wishing you the best in your decision making...

...Hey, if you plan on sticking around and becoming part of the family why not consider completing your registration and enter where you hail from...it helps up to help you and who knows, there might be a forum member right around the corner!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Zipline wrote:The flatter trajectory has me leaning towards the 380, that seems pretty important in the tight timber i hunt in.

In tight timber I would use my Micro, on open field edges and big wide open timber, I would take my Mad Max,, 380. The mad Max is just a limited edition camo pattern on the 380 Matrix platform, in Max1 camo.

If you haven't handled both I would before buying. I will be using my Micro for most hunts!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Welcome to the forum. Your age/physical condition needs to be a part of your decision making. I chose the M380 and it is Fast, Powerful and Extremely Accurate. I am not disappointed with my decision. The only drawback, for me, is at my age and physical condition I can not practice as much as I would like. 20 to 25 shots per session, but they are quality shots. You have chosen the best crossbow company to choose your crossbow from. Good Hunting.
BTW, Get a stringing aid. Danny Miller has them.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Had an Exomax and liked it, sold it for the 380 Matrix and absolutely love the 380. It is flat shooting and a tack driver. The power is crazy. I'm 63 and pulling the 380 is no problem at all if you are concerned about that. I have held the new Micro's and the small platform and narrow limb reach is impressive. Going from the Exomax with the wide limbs to the 380 was to me a huge difference in handling . However when going from a Matrix to a Micro it would be just as noticable. Like others have said hold the different models and decide for yourself as there is no wrong or right choice just what is comfortable to you. I will say however that the speed /power of the 380 is addicting and I certainly do not regret getting it in any way. Good luck.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger