Frustrating Day of Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Starvin' Hillbilly

Re: Frustrating Day of Shooting

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

TheBig1 wrote: I only wish that I didn't have 27 bolts to do. :lol:
yup! but outta that 27 yous gonna find some deadly stuff the fill yer quiver!
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

TheBig1 wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:Markin arrow/s is easy once you knowed what were talkin about. Jus take 1 arrow n only 1! Put one dot on any vane n jus one vane. Were goin to ck each arrow like this once we getstid hittin yer target. The dot makes no diff of which vane you put it on. Cause if'en it don't shoot right yer goin to the next vane n put 2 dots on it. Thats so you don't getstid confused

Thanks Brother, I think I do understand now. I'm sure once I try it I'll understand better between the difference of flying right or not. I have it now. I only wish that I didn't have 27 bolts to do. :lol:
You will be glad you have 27 arrows to work thru. You can figure about 14 will hit in same area. Thats unless you had custom arrows made n indexed, spined n weight matched
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Waif

Post by Waif »

The same actions help produce the same results.
One arrow at a time.
Keep an eye on your cocking the bow for consistency too.
Confirm brace height is where you want it, and fasteners torques are adequate before shooting.
Follow through as possible, and don't peek after a shot.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

A really good habit to get into is to conclude your shot by seeing your arrow in the target through your scope BEFORE lowering your bow from your shooting position. I hope that makes sense. The shot process doesn't just apply to compounds. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Paul and Waif, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to do so. After I tear it down to put the ADF on this week I'll be sure to check everything very well while putting it back together.

And then it's off to checking the bolts. These are 27 Diablo's that I have but I do have a dozen Spynal Tapp's on the way from Jerry at South Shore Archery. I've got a lot of work to do in a short amount of time to gain my confidence in my equipment.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I would follow all the advice, and wait to do the final tune with Jerry's arrows. Don't shoot at the same dot with those, and go through the same process of finding the arrows that don't repeat. You may not find any in Jerry's bunch, but still take the time to make sure the 4 that go into your quiver are the best 4 you have! :wink:

Good luck this fall!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks X, will do.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
center12

Post by center12 »

Had to figure out which vane went down on my Grizzly/Diablos combo, pretty amazing how much the impact point can change with a 1 vane rotation. Lots of fun figuring these things out.
New to the game.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Im pretty confident that the Arrows from Jerry will fix your problem !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

X2
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
grouse

Post by grouse »

You mentioned a new string. Did you check the brace height and adjust it if necessary?
axiom
350 SE
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

grouse wrote:You mentioned a new string. Did you check the brace height and adjust it if necessary?
Grouse, it's actually about 1/8" behind the line which will probably stretch down to the line. So that's not the problem. It was just a crappy day of shooting.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Basically what everyone is saying here is that you want CONSISTENCY in everything you do related to your bow.

Consistently put the brace height at the same point all the time. Put a mark on the side of the rail so you know exactly where it should be and can easily check.

You want the arrows to all come off the rail the same. Arrows flex when shot from the bow. The amount they flex is generically called the spine. Arrows also have a "weak" side and a "stiff" side. This is also referred to as spine, n general. You want arrows that all flex the same amount AND you want to orient them all the same on the rail (stiff side down or up). Custom arrow makers measure both the amount of flex and where the stiff side is and build arrows that will all match. Arrows made in bulk quantities (like Diablos) are probably not measured.

So you can improve your accuracy by either measuring everything on your 27 Diablos and then sorting by deflection and then refletching them all to align them to the stiff side - OR - you can try each arrow as is, putting different vanes in the channel each time you shoot. Just be sure to document where each arrow hits so you can group them in like groups when you are done. As others have said, it is amazing how different the impact point can be just by trying a different vane in the rail. All you are doing is orienting the stiff side of the arrow differently - but it makes a big difference..

As VM said though.....start the sighting in process with 1 arrow only and make sure everything is going well with that 1 arrow before you try to sort through all the others.

Good luck and have fun shooting....you have a lot to do !! :)
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thank you NChunter, I appreciate the tips. I will definitely be putting some time in to doing everyone's suggestions.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

Not sure if its been mentioned already but its possible your scope is pooched. I had a bad scope on my Micro and it was shooting all over the target. I sent it back to Excalibur and they replaced and my problem was solved. I also check each and every fastener on the bow as well.