DRY firing!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Nathan_armstrong

DRY firing!

Post by Nathan_armstrong »

What is everyone opinion on dry firing? Do you guys/gals think Excalibur bows can handle the odd one or two dry fires? Thanks for the help guys!
amythntr

Re: DRY firing!

Post by amythntr »

Nathan_armstrong wrote:What is everyone opinion on dry firing? Do you guys/gals think Excalibur bows can handle the odd one or two dry fires? Thanks for the help guys!
...Hi Nathan...welcome to the forum...you really do not provide a lot of information for us to help you...what kind of bow are you shooting, with ADF or without, partial or complete dryfire...have you already DF's your "?" ?...did it have an arrow in and not just pushed back enough, or no arrow...

....as you can see these are just some of the variables...help us help you!...others will most likely chime in...

...also, why not complete your registration entering where "you be from"...it helps us to help you better...that is, if you plan on sticking around the camp fire and being part of the sing-a-long!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

As stated... more info is needed.
Which model & size.
Factory or custom string?

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:

Post by newbie »

Well I can speak from experience that a vortex and a M355 can take a few dry fires.
My 355 was no worse off then the vortex other then the bent recoil plates. I just removed and hammered them flat.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

My older brown Vixen gets used for clinics to introduce new shooters, and many 3D tournaments - its been dryfired often. It held up amazingly well until one day when it just had one dryfire too many. New limbs on it and its business as usual. Love my xbow!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

VixChix wrote:My older brown Vixen gets used for clinics to introduce new shooters, and many 3D tournaments - its been dryfired often. It held up amazingly well until one day when it just had one dryfire too many. New limbs on it and its business as usual. Love my xbow!

....and you look way cool when you are in shooting stance also Moni.... :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The older models wid Dacron flemish strings did very well of survivin dry fires. Even the newer mag tips faired well. I can't say on the Matrix or Micro's as i haven't dryfired either of them :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

It should be avoided at all costs. The exo series can withstand it more so than the matrix line. ADF is good life insurance for the matrix, as well as string stops.

would I buy a bow that's been dryfired? yes, if it were an Excalibur.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
strum

Post by strum »

the deal is no dryfire is good. I have seen excaliburs take multiple dryfires with no damage and ive seen em damaged on the first one. the cool thing is, damage or not you wont be out of commission long. They are easy to fix yourself or if you choose to send it in for replacement limbs then that doesn't take long either.
And now with the anti-dryfire mech its almost a non issue.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Nathan_armstrong

Hi, and thank you Anthony. I'm shooting a new grizzly, it doesn't have the ADF and no I have not DF mine but one of my friends have the exact same set up and did fully dry fire his. Just thought I'd be a good friend and ask you guys here! You guys really seem you know your stuff!! And I'll finish it now :D
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Dry fired my exocet 175 and my 355 with no problems :D The 335 Micro to, but it has the ADF!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I think the Grizzly will be fine, but I would try really hard to avoid any dry firing going forward.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....Nathan, as with any DF or partial DF one must completely look over the limbs and string and assess as to whether the limbs has sustained any tell tale signs of damage...If there is none that "carry on"....however your friend must seriously consider the ADF....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Nathan_armstrong

amythntr wrote:....Nathan, as with any DF or partial DF one must completely look over the limbs and string and assess as to whether the limbs has sustained any tell tale signs of damage...If there is none that "carry on"....however your friend must seriously consider the ADF....

Okay thank you Anthony and everyone else :D you've been a big help! Now also he said something about it moved his scope ( not on the mounts just the sights) so he had to relight it... Is that common ?
pembertont

Post by pembertont »

Hello...new to the forum, but I've witnessed an Equinox and an Axiom dry fired. One threw the string and one didn't. Both survived unscathed and the scopes both worked fine afterward too. Excals can definitely take it better than any other xbow out there! Best hunting purchase I've made!

Tom
Excalibur Equinox
Shadow-Zone Scope
Flemish Fast Flight String
Zombie Slayer Bolts
Slick Trick 175's