FPS, Does This Sound Right?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Re: FPS, Does This Sound Right?

Post by 8ptbuk »

Your fine on the speeds your shooting ! You've got a deer killing Machine !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

8ptbuk wrote:Your fine on the speeds your shooting ! You've got a deer killing Machine !
Well it wouldn't be so awesome without a kick the a$$ bow string that I've got.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Glad you like it ! I'm expecting some tailgate pictures here shortly ! Don't disappoint me ! Lol
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Demon Deacon

Post by Demon Deacon »

There are differing opinions, but I'm a fan of heavy projectiles, for bows, crossbows, and rifles for that matter. I shoot an Axiom with 150 gr heads on the Firebolts that came with it. I think the weight is in the ball park as your arrows. The Axiom is rated for the same speed as the Griz. Truth is the FPS loss has a minimal impact on trajectory at xbow distances. (In this case a few inches at 30 yards.) That heavy arrow will push straight on through a deer more effectively than a lighter one moving a tad faster. Plus, heavier projectiles lead to more efficient and quieter bows (if that matters). I'd say you got good advice and will be very successful.
Axiom...so far
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

No worries,that should prove a great combination.My Executioners are very similar weight and Ibex shoots similar FPS as the Grizzly.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Demon Deacon wrote:There are differing opinions, but I'm a fan of heavy projectiles, for bows, crossbows, and rifles for that matter. I shoot an Axiom with 150 gr heads on the Firebolts that came with it. I think the weight is in the ball park as your arrows. The Axiom is rated for the same speed as the Griz. Truth is the FPS loss has a minimal impact on trajectory at xbow distances. (In this case a few inches at 30 yards.) That heavy arrow will push straight on through a deer more effectively than a lighter one moving a tad faster. Plus, heavier projectiles lead to more efficient and quieter bows (if that matters). I'd say you got good advice and will be very successful.
Thanks Deacon, I guess all I did was learn some good information today by doing this. I didn't know any of this. I've always thought that everything revolved around speed.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Demon Deacon

Post by Demon Deacon »

No worries. You'll get different opinions. Obviously speed matters. I mean that's why we use a bow and don't just chuck it. But there are a lot of factors that go into picking a projectile. I'm new to crossbows but not archery or hunting. This debate happens all the time with rifle shooters. If you really want to learn do some reading on this forum and other sites about kinetic energy and momentum, weight and speed. I like pretty heavy projectiles at moderate speed with whatever I hunt. My hunting rifles are a 30-30, 45-70, 35 remington, 7x57 Mauser, and .50 muzzleloader. I obviously go the momentum route.

Enjoy the Grizzly. Would've been my purchase if they had been out when I bought my Axiom.
Axiom...so far
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I think Jerry did you a favor, that would be one smooth consitent quiet shooting combination, and like you were told will hit like a sledge hammer assuring better penetration and be less wind sensitive!!

I remember when I bought my Micro, everyone was talking about it being a 40 yards or slightly farther bow for hunting???? I went with a heavy Boo string, 40 strand,,, and 16.5" Spynal Tapps, 412 grains @ 310 fps,, with Firenock lighted D2 nocks installed,,,, this thing shoots lights out at 60 yards!!! Fixed broadheads, and chisel tips or COC's average about 1" groups slightly under, at 60 yards.

I say groups but shoot different bulls every shot to keep from ruining arrows, this is 60 yards with two different broadheads, a slick trick 100 grain Standard in the left bull, and a Magnus Black Hornet in the right bull. The Bulls are 2 1/2" overall and both arrows are right at 1/2" from center, the left one is just less than 5/8" from center and high. But as you can see I can hunt with either without changing my scope setting!!!

You won't do this with a 350 grain arrow, and the 380 grain arrows I have shot drift more in the same wind than these heavy slower arrows do. I have alway said 20 or 30 fps is not noticeable inside 40 yards,,,, I think you have a great setup, and a deer killing machine kudos to Jerry again!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Now that is what a lot folks overlook W/C! It's always windy in November, and late October too! Putting the arrow where you want it to go is the name of the game.
Nice Shooting Wild! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

wildcatter wrote:I think Jerry did you a favor, that would be one smooth consitent quiet shooting combination, and like you were told will hit like a sledge hammer assuring better penetration and be less wind sensitive!!

I remember when I bought my Micro, everyone was talking about it being a 40 yards or slightly farther bow for hunting???? I went with a heavy Boo string, 40 strand,,, and 16.5" Spynal Tapps, 412 grains @ 310 fps,, with Firenock lighted D2 nocks installed,,,, this thing shoots lights out at 60 yards!!! Fixed broadheads, and chisel tips or COC's average about 1" groups slightly under, at 60 yards.

I say groups but shoot different bulls every shot to keep from ruining arrows, this is 60 yards with two different broadheads, a slick trick 100 grain Standard in the left bull, and a Magnus Black Hornet in the right bull. The Bulls are 2 1/2" overall and both arrows are right at 1/2" from center, the left one is just less than 5/8" from center and high. But as you can see I can hunt with either without changing my scope setting!!!

You won't do this with a 350 grain arrow, and the 380 grain arrows I have shot drift more in the same wind than these heavy slower arrows do. I have alway said 20 or 30 fps is not noticeable inside 40 yards,,,, I think you have a great setup, and a deer killing machine kudos to Jerry again!!
Thanks Wild, again obviously a new guy who learns something new everyday on this forum. I love it! Now I actually have more confidence in my equipment due to this newly aquired knowledge
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Honestly my big heavy weighted 2219s with 125 gr. Spitfire come in at 459grains my 330 matrix n micro are probably slower than your bow.wait till you shoot a big ol buck n blow thru em. I know my arrows are are logs n i like it! As said before in my se pa very thick woods 40 yards is a long way i rarely shoot a buck over 25 yards its that thick . Next season try the lighter inserts if you want.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Another bedding area hunter! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

It is possible to change out your inserts and use the 92 gr. ones and come up with the same arrow and a weight of right at 395 gn... It's very close to 389 grns. I shoot in my 355 and they fly great and still exhibit sufficient speed and flatness.

My Axiom SMF which is in the same performance range as your Grizley shoots arrows in this weight very well and I would think your's would also. :wink:

just an idea,
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
ch312

Post by ch312 »

I just ran your numbers on a ballistics calculator and with your current setup the numbers are as follows:

20 yards: -9", 67 ft/lbs
30 yards: -22", 66 ft/lbs
40 yards: -39", 64 ft/lbs

If you were to switch to a 350 grain arrow, which should bump you up to 305 fps:

20 yards: -7", 68 ft/lbs
30 yards: -18", 66 ft/lbs
40 yards: -32", 65 ft/lbs

Everyone always says heavier is better, but one needs to look at the actual numbers to see which is actually better for each individual bow. In your case with a slower bow I would definitely switch to the lighter arrow/head combo as the trajectory is much better and the energy (penetration) is practically the same.

With the lighter setup your arrow will have 7" less drop at 40 yards while providing the same amount of kinetic energy. The very small increase in noise and wind drift won't even be noticed with the lighter arrow, but you will notice a big difference in trajectory.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

ch312 wrote:I just ran your numbers on a ballistics calculator and with your current setup the numbers are as follows:

20 yards: -9", 67 ft/lbs
30 yards: -22", 66 ft/lbs
40 yards: -39", 64 ft/lbs

If you were to switch to a 350 grain arrow, which should bump you up to 305 fps:

20 yards: -7", 68 ft/lbs
30 yards: -18", 66 ft/lbs
40 yards: -32", 65 ft/lbs

Everyone always says heavier is better, but one needs to look at the actual numbers to see which is actually better for each individual bow. In your case with a slower bow I would definitely switch to the lighter arrow/head combo as the trajectory is much better and the energy (penetration) is practically the same.

With the lighter setup your arrow will have 7" less drop at 40 yards while providing the same amount of kinetic energy. The very small increase in noise and wind drift won't even be noticed with the lighter arrow, but you will notice a big difference in trajectory.
That's great information to know, thank you. Since I've already bought them and the fact that I have no clue how to play with them perhaps the next time I order I'll try the lighter arrow.

Thanks again.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member