sighting in scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fredd

sighting in scope

Post by fredd »

i have a hawk xb1 scope. it is sighted in from 20yrds to 60yrds with 2'' groups and the speed dial is set at 280fps for the excal grizzly.my question is when i shoot at 70yrds im about 3'' high with the aiming point in the scope. should i adjust the scope or should i move the speed dial or just hold low at 70 and so on out to 100yrds .
TheBig1

Re: sighting in scope

Post by TheBig1 »

I have the XB30 Pro SR. Have you been using Hawke's ballistics calculator?

If not, download it from their site to your computer and phone.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

TheBig1 wrote:I have the XB30 Pro SR. Have you been using Hawke's ballistics calculator?

I am a bit confused. I thought the whole idea of a speed dial is that you dont need to use a ballistic chart...I can see the need with a nikon bolt with no speed dial, but why with the hawke?
norm
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

coolhl wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:I have the XB30 Pro SR. Have you been using Hawke's ballistics calculator?

I am a bit confused. I thought the whole idea of a speed dial is that you dont need to use a ballistic chart...I can see the need with a nikon bolt with no speed dial, but why with the hawke?
norm
With my scope, and if I'm not mistaken with the XB1, the speed dial is also your magnification. Adjusting this in anyway will throw off your POI. That is why their ballistics calculator is invaluable. I have it on my phone and if for some reason I need greater magnification greater than 2, I can change the magnification in the calculator and it will tell the new range calculations for each reticle.

It really sounds harder than what it is. Bubba taught me how to use it and it's so easy to use. I just needed help understanding what certain things were.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Your speed is set too low. I would go another 5 FPS, and go from 20, on out. If it starts to get low as you go out, it's set too fast! Hope that makes sense Fred.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

I am no scope expert but I am pretty sure the speed dial adjusts the magnification so that you are lining up your reticles the way you want them (20/30/40 yds etc....) the ballistics chart is if you are stuck on one given magnification (in the case you show 2X magnification)for whatever reason....
someone please correct me if I am wrong.
norm
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

coolhl wrote:I am no scope expert but I am pretty sure the speed dial adjusts the magnification so that you are lining up your reticles the way you want them (20/30/40 yds etc....) the ballistics chart is if you are stuck on one given magnification (in the case you show 2X magnification)for whatever reason....
someone please correct me if I am wrong.
norm
Ok, I'll go change it to x3 magnification and post.
Remember, the SPEED DIAL is the Magnification dial.

See the change in reticle ballistics? =http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstric ... a.png.html]Image
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

yes , and the whole idea of the speed dial is to line up your reticles with easy to remember numbers , like 20,20,40,50, not 20, 26,32 etc...once again, this is my understanding of second focal plane scopes with a speed dial , I could be wrong..
norm
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Well I may be wrong or not understand the exact question. I do know that on my XB30 you have to search the manual to find the speed that each magnification matches up with because the speed dial itself is exactly that, listed by speed.

For me, I found that x2 magnification got me to the closest matching distances. I'm not a scope expert either and I've only been playing with this new scope for a week. You see the results when I begin to change the magnification, it changes the yardage of each reticle.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If you have tall enough targets to allow for the arrow drop at 70 yards, probably 55" off the hip shot guess. Shoot dead on at 20 yards. Move this tall target, or stack two, three whatever you need to have about 60" Put a dot at the top of this target, and use the 20 yard to shoot at it. Yes the arrow will be LOW! Now, aim again at that top dot with the 20, hold it on there, and zoom until the 70 is on the arrow. Speed is set!!!!!! This method uses real results, not math, charts, or Voodoo. It works. :wink:
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

try sighting your bow at 20 yds for first reticle...
then shoot an arrow aiming for the same point at 30 yds using the second reticle.
you will be off a bit...adjust your magnification until the second reticle lines up exactly where the arrow actually landed...
from then on your reticle should line up at ten yard intervals and you wont need your ballistics chart,
at least that is how I do it.
norm
Last edited by coolhl on Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

coolhl wrote:try sighting your bow at 20 yds for first reticle...
then shoot an arrow aiming for the same point at 30 yds using the second reticle.
you will be off a bit...adjust your magnification until the second reticle lines up exactly where the arrow actually landed...
from then on your reticle should line up at ten yard intervals and you wont need your ballistics chart,
at least that is how I do it.
norm
This might work, but you really don't have a solid a reference point to double check against. In the method I described, you have two points to reference. :wink: In Machinist terms, it is the 1/2/3 method! You add reference points as you proceed, it is solid.
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Dan, I will definitely try your method, thanks, norm
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

coolhl wrote:dan beat me to the punch...his method I am sure is better
norm