rockyhollowhunter

Re: First crossbow deer need help

Post by rockyhollowhunter »

hate to hear swany ,you did the best ya could
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Sorry to hear.
swany66675 wrote:Made a few calls to try to find a blood tailing dog and had no luck. Although I may try to train my next dog to do this.
Most would be quite surprised at just how many different types of dogs can and will track a wounded deer. In my history, I've seen everything from what I refer to as "bootprint" dogs (about the size of your bootprint obviously) up through Shepherds, Labs and more work the job just fine. And quite a few without any type of formal "training".

My Big Boy is 1/2 Timber Wolf, 1/2 Husky. He was a natural to train for blood-trailing, and does excellent work. To date he has recovered nine deer, and has yet to fail when set on the task.

Well worth the time invested to train your pups in this regard.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
swany66675

Post by swany66675 »

Here is my new catahoula puppy, came down to a family vote. I fell in love with a female that was easily the most dominate, she was black with brindle legs. He was my second vote and probably a better fit for my family, not anywhere near as high strung. Once we decide on a name I'll let you guys know. Felt bad buying him once everything was done the two little boys there were sad and said their dad had been thinking about keeping him. He has a naturally bobbed tail.

Plan on training him for blood trailing and shed hunting.

Okay we settled on a Takoda for the puppies name, it is Chactow for "friend to everyone".
rockyhollowhunter

Post by rockyhollowhunter »

nice lookin pup there best of luck with him :)
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

So just how does one train a blood trailer?
884savage

Post by 884savage »

It's very simple and natural. Next time you shoot a deer and know it is dead, before tracking it get your dog. Put it on the trail, and encourage it to follow. Praise the heck out of it when it does as you want. Make that first tracking job simple. When it finds the deer, over praise it. Give it treats, a long lick of the deer, or whatever makes your dog the happiest. Do that 2-3 times and you have a dog that will not only track but love doing it. Most dogs are capable and many are even eager to do so.
swany66675

Post by swany66675 »

I plan on getting a half gallon of blood from the local deer processor to use to lay sent trails and scraps of hide. Plus I have a gallon bag of bloody leaves from the,deer mentioned above. Plus I will do what is mentioned above.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

woodmnctry wrote:So just how does one train a blood trailer?
I started my latest (145 lb 1/2 Timber Wolf, 1/2 Alaskan Husky) at a right early age - 6 or 7 weeks in fact. Used deer liver for the first month or so, and once he became proficient at that, switched it up to deer blood (frozen from the previous fall) and then eventually onto small pieces of hide / tails.

We start all of ours on a leash, which gets extended in length as the dog becomes more acquainted with the program.

It is best to vary the locations you practice in frequently. Some of the better dogs have a damn impressive memory of their successes in the same locale, and will begin to "predict" where the trail may lead rather than work & follow it.

Start off slow with fairly short trails (~ 30 yards or so). The "reward" at the beginning is priceless for future development IMHO. Tracking down and then getting to chow down on a piece of liver REALLY spurs their interest. Eventually run the lines out longer, and incorporate a few twists and turns after he/she has the initial line running down pat. I ended up with 4 - 500 yard lines wandering a great deal by the end of things. Something I still try to do several times a summer to keep him "fresh".

We also found that it was actually better when using blood to let it dry a spell before running it with the dog. They don't seem to stop and "localize" so much as they will on the fresh stuff.

Remember the treats when successful! And work them as often as you can without signs of them getting bored. Most "experts" suggest once every third or fourth day, and to change up the routine / location each time if at all possible. We found that works well.

Some breeds are better than others. In general we've found that a lot of the Mixed Breeds shine at this work, especially those with a "Good Nose" in their background.

Most dogs are Happy to Please, and this combines both their natural inborn hunting instinct with that aspect. This generally means developing a decent tracking dog isn't all that difficult a task.

Best of Luck with your pup! Methinks you and he are headed towards some rather FUN times afield, with the added Bonus that he may well find a game animal for you or your buddies when all other efforts have failed. No Prouder Moment! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Sorry to hear of the lost deer

I trained my great sane to blood trail. It wasn't legal here at the time. And I haven't had to use him yet.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
swany66675

Post by swany66675 »

Works as advertised.
Getting his reward (bowl of deer liver and dog food and a new chew toy) my wife set up at the end of the 1/2 mile trail that was laid down Saturday . Had him track the drag out as part of the trail, we were dropped off on another road so not to cross the trail on the way in.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I use a breed of small dogs here in Mo. Called Jagd terriers . They are very good blood trailers and very easy to train
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
swany66675

Post by swany66675 »

So its been a year.

Saturday archery opener.

Five yards here, I killed the larger doe almost an hour after I had taken this photo. They had walked right into me never giving me a shot.

It was to steep and to far to drag her where I was hunting so I boned her out threw her in the pack.

My Catahoula pup Takoda[emoji2]

BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Sounds like he ran out of blood. Tracked one like that myself a few years ago for my brother. once he ran out of blood he went another 30 yards. He was actually circling back and was laying next to a tree that made it very hard to spot him.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds like you learned from last year's mistake.
Congratulations on the doe!!!!!!!!

Good looking pup there, too.
wabi
rein1

Post by rein1 »

swany66675 wrote:So its been a year.
Your dog is larger then your doe you shot .... If this was the larger I hate to see the smaller one .. O well just messing with you .
Saturday archery opener.

Five yards here, I killed the larger doe almost an hour after I had taken this photo. They had walked right into me never giving me a shot.

It was to steep and to far to drag her where I was hunting so I boned her out threw her in the pack.

My Catahoula pup Takoda[emoji2]