Speculation thread on the limbs breaking....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: Speculation thread on the limbs breaking....

Post by longbow joe »

I have a micro with a gazzillion shots on it no issues. I maintain a quarter inch brace off the bumbers and shoot a over 400 grain arrow i dont know if ive been lucky or the brace height heavy arrow is saving me.in a nutshell i think the massive stress on such a small limb is a recipe for trouble. I wouldnt mind if they just came out with a slightly longer limb n be done with it for good . Anyway just my 2 cents . I love my micro not sorry for ever buyin it! I had my m330 in the blind the other day n was wishin i brought the micro as i was bangin the sidesof the blind
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
marlinmonty

Post by marlinmonty »

I want my nightmare to be a lifetime bow like I have read so much about them . Never had good gear before and , I love this thing ! They will get them lined out and move forward .

A man has to trust his equipment . I am going to get a flemmish string this week . I have no problem doing my part . The darn thing flys Jerry's arrows like a lazer beam with 125 grn. tips .
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Always kept my BH a little more than an 1" from the front joint where front end meets the barrel. Went back to the older longer Excal crossbows as I used to have a 380 matrix that had an limb issue right out of the box brand new. But Excal and Dr. Danny Miller took care of that Bow for me. I love the older longer limbed Excal's just me I guess... Regardless Excal Crossbows rock as I've been shooting and a hunting with them since the Early 90's- Best Crossbow and company to boot !!!! :D :D :D
SEW

Post by SEW »

sagedoc wrote:I also wondered about using air rakes. My Equinox came standard with them, and I wonder if all older models came standard with them? I have ordered a matrix 380 in blackout and am having the air brakes from the get go.
I have both a 380 & 405. Trying to consider the physics of the situation, I've done 3 things, both mentioned on this thread, to help reduce the stress on the limbs: 1) Air Brakes, 2) Dr Stirrup string stops - string 1/16" into it and 3) using Dr Stirrup limb silencers. I think the first 2 measures significantly reduce stress on the limbs. At least they're certainly quieter and have less hand shock.
DMc

Post by DMc »

The fact that there are multiple micro users that have literally thousands of trouble-free shot cycles, proves this is not a design flaw. It is clearly not asking more than the limbs can safely provide.

The fact that there have been experienced users that have had multiple failures, proves that there is a problem. The sooner this problem is identified, the better, for all of us.
rnldcramer

Post by rnldcramer »

Peter has said many times on this forum that the new matrix series experience less limb issues than the longer old limbs.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

rnldcramer wrote:Peter has said many times on this forum that the new matrix series experience less limb issues than the longer old limbs.
Huh? I have been on this forum for 10 years, I don't remember ever reading of limb failure on the older bows without help from the shooter (dryfire, hitting a tree, overheating). None.
Now, it seems to be a daily occurrence with the newer bows. Not just from shooting, some are folding under the pressure of simply being cocked.
Same internet, same highway of information, and in some cases, the same shooters.
Understanding the newer bows are selling faster than the older bows, but there are a pile more older bows out there than new ones.
There is an unfortunate issue that exceeds user error.
I can't seem to find anywhere that Peter has said that, have a link to the thread?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Pydpiper wrote:
rnldcramer wrote:Peter has said many times on this forum that the new matrix series experience less limb issues than the longer old limbs.
I can't seem to find anywhere that Peter has said that, have a link to the thread?
I believe this may be what "rnldcramer" is refering to :

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 66#p552766

But if anybody should have first hand knowledge of the actual historical data I guess the nod has to go to Peter.

CC
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

colouredchameleon wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:

Have to admit the comment surprized me to at the time .
But if anybody should have first hand knowledge of the actual historical data I guess the nod has to go to Peter.

CC
Interesting. I can't seem to open the link, but I believe you.
Peter is a good guy, also the head of marketing, sounds like he is in damage control mode right now.
Sorry to say, I do not believe those statistics. I go off of what I have read in many places, and have for a long time. Until the Matrix series, or at least the shorter limbs, limb failure was unheard of.
I wouldn't mind a Micro, I think the thing is one of the best looking bows to date, but there is something wrong, it's all over the internet. Simply hearing Peter say it is rare, doesn't change all the issues popping up here, and other forums.
I am confident they are working on this continuously, even Excalibur knows building bows to sell is more profitable than fixing them.
Could not imagine what would be going through my head to buy a bow I need to carry a second (or third) set of limbs for.
Excalibur fan till' the end, but something is amiss.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I refuse to worry about Limbs breakin n splittin. Heck if'en i have to come Firearms season i will break-out my Pa's old 16ga n shoot a half dz tick toter fer freezer meat :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Waif

Post by Waif »

vixenmaster wrote:I refuse to worry about Limbs breakin n splittin. Heck if'en i have to come Firearms season i will break-out my Pa's old 16ga n shoot a half dz tick toter fer freezer meat :)
Hey Mister:
What kinda wads you loadin behind them arra's in that sixteen? :lol:
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Waif wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:I refuse to worry about Limbs breakin n splittin. Heck if'en i have to come Firearms season i will break-out my Pa's old 16ga n shoot a half dz tick toter fer freezer meat :)
Hey Mister:
What kinda wads you loadin behind them arra's in that sixteen? :lol:
Actually they have some type of donut thingy on those Brennekes, might be to clean as it goes :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Waif

Post by Waif »

L.O.L..
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

I can't seem to find anywhere that Peter has said that, have a link to the thread?[/quote]

Have to admit the comment surprized me to at the time .

CC[/quote]

Interesting. I can't seem to open the link, but I believe you.
Peter is a good guy, also the head of marketing, sounds like he is in damage control mode right now.
Sorry to say, I do not believe those statistics. I go off of what I have read in many places, and have for a long time. Until the Matrix series, or at least the shorter limbs, limb failure was unheard of.
I wouldn't mind a Micro, I think the thing is one of the best looking bows to date, but there is something wrong, it's all over the internet. Simply hearing Peter say it is rare, doesn't change all the issues popping up here, and other forums.
I am confident they are working on this continuously, even Excalibur knows building bows to sell is more profitable than fixing them.
Could not imagine what would be going through my head to buy a bow I need to carry a second (or third) set of limbs for.
Excalibur fan till' the end, but something is amiss.[/quote]
Here's the link from Peter that I was able to open:
"Good point but here are some facts. The percentage of limb failures is significantly higher on an Exomax than either the Matrix or Micro models. Its just the volume of sales for the new models far exceeds the Exomax. We have been testing the Micro limbs for almost 2 years, I have personally been hunting with one with no issues. Will we have limb failures? All bows have limb failures, I don't care what make or model it is. Limbs are the working part of the crossbow, if something is going to break its going to be the limb. Our goal is to reduce the failures. Our average limb failure rate is under 2% of total sales which is pretty good.

We realize any problem or failure in a product is a royal pain in the butt and we do everything to avoid it. But this stuff will happen, nothing is perfect.

With this day and age of the internet and instant communication when somebody has an issue its immediately blasted everywhere. The more people see these problems talked about the more they question the quality of an item. This is good and bad. It keeps manufacture's on their toes to make the best product they can and offer awesome customer service. The bad side is people may get the wrong impression of an item and avoid buying something that is actually an excellent product.

Sorry for the long post, but this is something we address everyday. People are mortified when they have an issue and the common response is "I did all the research and thought I was buying the best, and then _______ broke!"
People expect perfection and so do we, but perfection is an unrealistic expectation. We just need to learn how to deal with problems when they do occur, and that's my job. :D

Peter "
Matrix 380 Blackout
HHA Optimizer Speed Dial, Air Brakes, DR Kit, TriggerTech SS
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Interesting. Seems everyone who owns an Exomax doesn't have the internet to speak their voice.

If I Google "Exomax limb failure", nothing comes up but splinters, which is still a functioning bow, not failure.

Then I Google "Matrix limb failure", and you could spend a month reading.

One bow has been out almost 20 years, the other 2 years.
Something smells fishy about those numbers.
WMU 91
Boo string