Deer decoy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Buszone

Deer decoy

Post by Buszone »

General question anyone using a decoy and if so how/when are you using it? I have been using one (buck) for 3 years but about half the time that I put it out the deer freak out. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
I'm just starting to see pre rut action here in Wi.

Thanks in advance
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
ko4nrbs

Re: Deer decoy

Post by ko4nrbs »

Worked good for my buddy.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=59461

Check out the videos on You Tube and the reviews for the many decoys out there, i.e. Bass Pro, Cabelas, Amazon, etc.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
SEW

Post by SEW »

For bow hunting, decoys have normally been counter productive for me. However, during the rut doe decoys in a wide open field, can often get a buck to come near. Does frequently stay well clear of decoys. Bucks will normally stay with their does if they see decoys. I don't normally use decoys.
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
dewy

Post by dewy »

I've had good success with them. Took a real nice buck with one last year. The smaller bucks will come into investigate while the does will tend to stay away. So if your looking to kill does you may not want to use it. I'll be putting mine out starting the last week of Oct into the 1st week of November. After that it will go back into hibernation for another 50 weeks.

Here is a link to the hunt were I used mine last year:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=55256
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I've had mixed results. I once had a doe come and lick my decoy, and then it ate beside it for 10 min. I've also had a doe stare at it and get nervous and stomp and blow and walk away, though it may have been my scent since the wind was going in different directions.
One important thing is to keep it totally scent free, I also connect a fishing line to the tail to give it movement, and a scent pad with urine on it. I think the tail movement is key, deer do not see the best but pick up on movement real well. On many occasions when the wind was in my favor I have come across deer and they look right at me but cannot smell me and I move my arm and flick my wrist like a tail on a deer and the deer goes back to eating, many people do not believe that, but I've done it many times.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Some use these other than full bodied decoys.
http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Waggin-Whi ... B00AU6GHI8

I use a couple of Tinks inflatable ones because they are so easy to get in and out of the woods.
http://www.amazon.com/Tinks-Miss-Novemb ... table+deer

http://www.amazon.com/Tinks-Mr-October- ... table+deer
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
galamb

Post by galamb »

I use a doe decoy, in the rut as part of my overall strategy.

I hunt fairly dense hardwoods, so unless a buck actually tripped over my decoy, it would never be seen from any kind of distance greater than say 50 yards - so I don't use it as an "attractant".

I'm a "scent junkie" - aside from putting out feed and minerals (both loose and blocks) ALL Year and using curiosity scent sticks in the early bow into pre-rut, when it's coming into the rut I hit them with doe urine, doe estrus (two different liquid scents plus the smoke sticks), tarsal gland scent, and doe pheromones.

(and yes, I do get a buck practically every year "despite" my perfume factory, even if not because of it - I can't say all the scents "work", but they sure don't seem to scare "everything" away)

The value I see with the decoy is - if my scents get Mr. Buck to come close "thinking" there is an estrous doe nearby, once he spots the decoy that maybe gives a "confirmation" of what he is expecting to see and gets him in the last few feet I need for an unobstructed shot.

I used a McKenzie (solid) decoy for years, but it was a hassle to cart around (and possibly dangerous on public land humping a "whole deer" in and out). I switched to one of the inflatable does (Tink's Miss November) - easier to handle/pack in and out.

Decoys are one of those things you just have to try as part of your bag of tricks. I have never seen any advantage/results from early season decoys. Likewise, ratting "never" has shown any results in my area although it works like magic elsewhere...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

just started tonight to use a decoy . seen no deer in the field tonight. got a buck in area and he does not want any other deer in way , just hope he comes into the set up .only time will tell.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have an inflatable decoy called "EZ DOE", what makes it neat is there is a small removable box that the tail is on, it is remote control, push the button from a stand and the tail moves in a way that comforts other deer. I just use the tail and box, bungee it to a tree. An experienced hunter on this board once told me he uses a white feather and fishing line for the same effect.
I don't use it often though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I killed my second archery doe hunting over my 3D deer target twenty years ago. It was early season and I was hunting in fairly open timber. Some doe ran up about 75 yards away and stopped. After they settled down and started to browse I hit a doe bleat call and got their attention. Once they say my 3D target they turned and headed my way like they were on a string. Once they got within about 15 feet of the decoy the lead doe could sense something was amiss and turned to depart giving me a quartering away shot.

That's the only time I've taken a decoy so I guess I stopped while I was ahead. Its also a bit inconvenient and potentially unsafe to walk through some woods carrying a deer. I could imagine other cases like a field edge where they could help close the distance gap like I did.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

My husband has had good success during the shotgun hunt (1st week in Nov. ) with the Renzo decoys.

I've personally had mixed results - older does seem leery, younger bucks came in alert.

I no longer bother carrying it out into the woods with me - now I hang a small piece of toilet paper on a branch at about 3' high about 10 yds out to catch the attention of deer that might come in (and distract them from me and any movement I might make).
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

took the deek out last night and a doe and 2 fawns came out with no problem had her at 23 yds. later on all deer spooked . my be just a tad early for it . or maybe it was the buck decoy .
W.M.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

w migure i was thinking of makeing a rump mt and put on a tree near my stand what do you think??
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

VixChix wrote:I no longer bother carrying it out into the woods with me - now I hang a small piece of toilet paper on a branch at about 3' high about 10 yds out to catch the attention of deer that might come in (and distract them from me and any movement I might make).
Moni I sure hope you're not using all Tim's lucky toilet paper?? :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads