Hang-on & Ladder Stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Hang-on & Ladder Stands

Post by TheBig1 »

Hey folks, I am a member of an association and hunt 7,000+ acres of mountain land. We're able to leave our treestands out there year round if we choose to do so, which of course is nice. I'm looking for advice on the best bang for the buck for both hang-on and two man ladder stands. Next year I want to have about 2-4 of these hanging in various spots of an area or lining off a ridge line.

Of course I'm also thinking of comfort also for an all day hunt. If it matters, I'm 275lbs.

Can you tell me what you have and how you like it as well as what you think the best bang for your dollar is?

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
vixenmaster

Re: Hang-on & Ladder Stands

Post by vixenmaster »

I am 65 yrs old n the Hang-On's while great to hunt out of. They are wearin on me climbin 20' now. I have 2 makes n 2 styles, the flat platform fer yer feet isn't as comfortable as the inclined models. Ladder stands even the 2 man models are not set up well fer support of crossbows. Some are even poor fer rifles. I bought a 2 man Summit couple 3 yrs back, fer the price its no better than the Walmart specials at half the price! I am goin to the tripod wid the full 360 degree turnin seat this comin yr
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

For the money i would buy some climbers and that way if your stand isnt in that perfect spot you can move it to where it needs to be instead of having to get someone to come help u move a ladder stand or lock on ....
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
grouse

Post by grouse »

vixenmaster wrote:I am 65 yrs old n the Hang-On's while great to hunt out of. They are wearin on me climbin 20' now. I have 2 makes n 2 styles, the flat platform fer yer feet isn't as comfortable as the inclined models. Ladder stands even the 2 man models are not set up well fer support of crossbows. Some are even poor fer rifles. I bought a 2 man Summit couple 3 yrs back, fer the price its no better than the Walmart specials at half the price! I am goin to the tripod wid the full 360 degree turnin seat this comin yr
I have had a tripod stand for 4 years now and I love it! I also have two ladder stands on my farm which are nowhere as comfortable and functional as my tripod. The tripod has a 360 degree shooting rail and a 360 degree swivel seat so it is very safe and can shoot in any direction. I used 4 screw in earth anchors and ratcheting straps to secure the stand from high winds (the stakes it came with are not nearly good enough). I have a camouflage tarp that I secured to the shooting rail with zip ties. These are the best stands I have ever seen for crossbow or rifle hunting.
axiom
350 SE
Drew

Post by Drew »

Check out the Millennium M150, the most comfortable and solid stand I've ever used. Quiet too. I'm 6'1" and 225lbs and have plenty of room. Platform is giant and it's easy to hang.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Field & Stream and Dicks Sporting Goods have both types of stands on sale. I have also used the climber type stands which require a straight tree without branches for the length of your climb.

At this point of my life, since I 'm getting older and less flexible and monkey like, I am moving away from hang ons an toward ladder stands.

In whatever you choose, get something with arm rests, a rail in front and a good size platform. Put it in a tree with some good background behind you to help hide your movements. I generally try to locate next to some pine trees for cover. I used to use back up ratchet strap on the platform for safety. I just started lag bolting a bracket onto each side of the seat and into the tree to keep it in place. Metal brackets can't be chewed through by squirrels and give me additional peace of mind.

Ease of getting up into stand is best with a ladder stand.

Best of luck with your decision.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input. I do have a Summit Viper climber which I still plan to deploy when necessary but I'm looking into hang-ons and ladders for some semi permanence. If I realize I'm in a wrong spot with a hang-on I can move it myself and understand that with a ladder stand I'd need another person to help.

I'm looking for a 2 man ladder stand due to my kids going with me. Of course we'd have a life line, harnesses, etc...
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

There's a few nice hang ons and ladder stands out there for a decent price. I prefer to cut and weld up my own though. Not helpful to you though if you don't have the equipment to do this. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

j.krug wrote:There's a few nice hang ons and ladder stands out there for a decent price. I prefer to cut and weld up my own though. Not helpful to you though if you don't have the equipment to do this. :)
I don't but that's an idea. Why don't you throw a couple of prototypes and I'll meet you at the border. I'll use and review them to let you know what I think. :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I hunt a large tidewater swamp property too with 4 others. I found the ladder stand to be the most convient. As seen in pic. I camo em up real good i even wire tie whole saplings to em wen ur done there pretty discrete. I add one a year i actually have 9 stands now (talk about hoarding) the 49.95 dicks specials are great. Dont forget its easy to just put a strap on just above your ladder for an extra person . That way the extra persons outta the way dont forget a good chain n lock tooImage[/URL]
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

I love that idea Joe! I also love what you did with the place. I too plan on building my own collection of sorts. I want to start with 2 next year
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Chad,
I hunt a phenomenally smaller piece of private land (~10 acres) and get to leave stands year-round as well. I have noticed a couple things you may want to consider. I have a number of the Dicks Sporting goods hang on stands with climbing sticks and a couple ladder stands.

You mentioned comfort for an all day hunt. While I have done it, I wouldn't consider their cheap hang on stands to be comfortable in the least. I normally only hunt the first and/or last 3-4 hours most days so I just deal with it. The ladders are generally more comfortable to me.

I can move my single person ladder stand rather easily and it is 17'. My two-person stand is another story. It is a widow-maker. Each time it had been erected was tempting fate. The next time I move it will be to the dump. :lol:

Moving hang-on stands is a job! I use climbing sticks so those go up first then the hang-on. I stack sticks and have some stands up as high as 24 feet. Moving of hanging one is an off season task for me along with clearing shooting lanes.

If you plan to leave them year-round, plan on some annual maintenance. I've gotten rid of straps and turnbuckles as the primary attachment and went to galvanized chain. I only use straps with turnbuckles to help stabilize if needed. You don't want to find out the hard way what a squirrel will eat. I even replaced the steel cables that hold up the platforms with chain because I had noticed rust on some cables after a few years. Now all I have to do is let out a link each season or so to allow for tree growth and rest assured my stand will never fail.

Remember, with each additional stand you hang you increase the chances that you are sitting in the wrong one on any given day. Chose wisely! :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Duckhunt, thank you very much for that great advice. I want to start with 2 treestands next year in addition to my climber. Perhaps I will learn those lessons and limit myself to just those 2 in the end. They will both be spread out in the same approximate area of hunting, not different areas of the mountain. Each will be accompanied by a camera also.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Drew

Post by Drew »

Dunhams always has sales and you can easily find their 10% and 20% coupons too
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
pembertont

Post by pembertont »

We leave our ladder stands out year round as well. We have quite a few different kinds, but we moved toward Muddy Nexus Two Man versions this year and they are awesome. Here's a link:

http://www.gomuddy.com/product/the-nexus/

They are a little pricey but worth every penny, especially for big guys.
Excalibur Equinox
Shadow-Zone Scope
Flemish Fast Flight String
Zombie Slayer Bolts
Slick Trick 175's