Sense About Scents

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Sense About Scents

Post by Hi5 »

I'm skeptical.

Activated charcoal clothing, and cover scents make me suspicious.

Molecules which activate a sense of smell fall off us constantly, are rubbed off onto whatever we touch, and are carried off downwind. These molecules are in our spit, our urine, our breath, they fall off our hair, our skin and our clothing. Game can tell a human has been walking on a game trail. Like a tracking dog they pick up faint scent. If the human stink is really strong, the human likely is still nearby.

Unless the charcoal suit supresses all human scent, which is impossible, or unless the cover scent is so strong that it overwhelms the human scent entirely, which is itself suspicious, game will be alerted.

Come to think of it. wouldn't the use of cover scent be analogous to a person laying on deodorant day after day, never bathing? The smell would be B.O. and deodorant, wouldn't it? As to the charcoal suit, well, you need a scuba tank also...not for oxygen, but to collect exhaled breath.

Soooo. Does cover scent help? Does a charcoal suit help? Not likely that much. Do they hurt? Only the pocket book.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
A.W

Post by A.W »

All you can really do is reduce your scent as much as possible.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

A.W wrote:All you can really do is reduce your scent as much as possible.
This is true A.W. also I think Hi5 is right. As for the places I hunt myself the human smell is all around as the areas are fairly populated, by this I mean within a few miles in any direction their are people working the fields, kids playing, ATV's, and of course hunters of all types IE: coon, rabbit, bushy tails, ect., So I think any money spent on trying to hide your scent is wasted.

That being stated if I was hunting a true wilderness I would then have some concern about human scent and be paying very close attention too which way the wind was moving and try to use it to my advantage along with any natural cover that I may be able to use as concealment. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!