fletching clearence

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JB'STAXIDERMY

fletching clearence

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

So i was shooting yesterday and was trying to figure out why i had to adjust my scope when i switched from field points to fixed blades. Im shooting firebolts out of my equinox. I use the ones that came with my bow to practice with and i bought a half a dozen to hunt with. Well i got to looking and the firebolts i got with my bow are fletched different than the ones i bought. ( the distance from the nock to the back of the vanes is farther on the ones that came with my bow verses the ones i bought) so the ones i bought are contacting the scope housing and i believe that was why they were shooting to the right instead of dead on. Once i rotated the arrow to where there was equal pressure on the vanes contacting the scope housing it was dead on. So my question is what is the proper distance from the nock to the back of the vanes. Also is it ok to have contact with the scope housing or do i need to refletch them to where there is no contact. Thanks for reading. .....
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
Drew

Re: fletching clearence

Post by Drew »

Depending on the broadhead, (fixed vs mechanical), most will require some small scope adjustments. The aerodynamics of a broadhead are not the same as field points so it stands to reason they would impact slightly different. People seem to like mechanicals as they are fixated on having their broadhead hit to the same poi as fp's :roll: and mechanicals are closer in profile to fp's.

I purposely moved my vanes back to a 7/8" offset to maximize steerage and control as I am shooting large fixed blade broadheads. That's about the maximum offset you can achieve. I noticed no difference in poi or reduction in accuracy when I moved my blazers back and they are definitely lightly touching the scope mount. They should touch evenly on both sides though if fletched correctly and I visually check to ensure this prior to each shot. I believe my original fletching offset was 1.25" if I recall. And you will notice I said "touch the scope mount", they do not deflect/distort. They are just touching evenly on both sides.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads