Grimm reaper!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Buszone

Grimm reaper!

Post by Buszone »

Man Oh Man ! My son and his chosen mechanical Bh. Well on Sunday evening my son radio'd me that he just shot a nice doe 18yds. from his tree. Wow, I was excited for him as this would be his second ever bow kill. he is shooting a PSE VBOW that scales at 68LBs. 29" GT and 100 gr. Grim Reapers his first kill was with a good old Thunderhead.
Well my excitement rapidly changed to concern. He went on to say that the doe took 5 steps and is standing with the arrow sticking half out? He said the hit is a little far back and slightly high, So he shot again and once again she went 5 to 8 steps and now has 2 arrows sticking half way out!! She then went behind some tangles and laid down with her head up.
I said stay where you are be quiet and watch for her to death kick and then get down. :?:
Well 45 minutes later he radio's back that nothing has changed! :( So I said hold on "Thor and I are coming to see . Well, I get there another 20 minutes and low and behold the dang critter is laying with her head up?
I told him to be ready to shoot as I would circle behind her and try to make her run so the BH could finish it's job. I got within 5' and she gets up and walks off about 10yds. and stands broadside . I said shoot her again ,,, well he fires and I see the BH get complete pass thru. and the doe turns around now I can see one of the reapers stick out the other side!! the mechanical never opened!! any how I said enough >>>>>> and Finished it with "Thor" throwing his battle axe all over in 30 seconds. :)
We recovered all three BH's two never opened at all and one open 1 blade which broke off on a rib it was like shooting the doe with field points. Needless to say he was very upset :( I said that's why I stopped using MBH's because it's just something else that can go wrong so go buy a couple of fixed heads that fly great. I know guys swear by mechanical but give me a good solid fixed head that fly's straight off the string.
I also told him that he wont graduate from bow hunter school till he has killed a few with a rock or club as its not always pretty. :lol:

On a more positive note the wife of 38 yrs. on Sunday morning took "Thor" and his preferred weapon and shot a very nice 5pt at under 30 yds. and she watched him drop within 50yds. This was not her first deer but was her first buck with a bow! :D
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
Pickwick

Re: Grimm reaper!

Post by Pickwick »

Great job! Too bad about those Reapers. Sometimes we have to go through a tough lesson to learn. I have never had a problem with my Swhackers opening, (knock on wood) in fact they do the job really well! The thought of them failing though is always there. I like shooting Slick Tricks, they fly deathly straight and they always open :wink: . Congrats to your son and wife!
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Im glad that you got the deer but as far as the heads not opening....I know that after they pass through something they close so if it was sticking out then it would have closed along with the pass through. They dont stay open. Also, which ones were you using?
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I know I am gonna get flack on this...But I personally would not use GR's if the company called me and offered free stock whenever I needed them...too many parts...they fell apart in my hands :shock: ...in the garbage they went! :wink: ....JMHO

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Shot placement is the key to any shot.
Even with a fixed head if it's a bad shot you'll have the same results. My mech BH is the trauma 3 blade which if it doesn't open I get a 7/8" razor cut. If the shot is true I recover the animal, I've not had any problems with mech heads. A lot of problems are user error. I double band my heads like the rocket hammerhead just for insurance.
Good luck on you sons next hunt!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

I don't know the model but 100gr. Head with stainless point 1 3/4" wide when open. I do know when u have 3/8" hole on both sides the head never opened if it had where he put the last shots he would have had only needed to start gutting. I also agree with Anthony they are junk.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well congrats fer the kill n the recovery. This is a very sad story about some BH's that didn't perform at all as they were designed :(
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315

Post by newbie »

Double-double
Last edited by newbie on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!

Post by newbie »

Sorry about your bad experience but also glad you ended up finishing off the animal.

Ive used those complicated broadheads (for Anthony) without issue. I dont see how the couldn't open unless they were assembled improperly. I banded mine so they didnt open premature.
They sure left a massive hole in the 6 point i shot two years ago and he didnt go 40 yards.
Edit
If both arrows didnt go through at 18 yards they must have his some bone or shed energy pretty quick. Mechanical heads will close upon exiting the back side when stopped fast as well.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have some that were given to me, and they really look good. Assembly was a bit different from others, and the slots on the spring loaded washer must line up with the blades or they will not deploy. I'm still anxious to try them. Glad you got the deer.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

the blades on the grimms can close up after the pass through, youd think it didnt open at all but they do. ive seen some other mechanicals do that. with mechanicals i dont trust any high angles or too much quartering. wait for the broadside and sholkd be good to go..
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

Bizzare I'm a grim reaper nut an I use the razor tips they've never failed me.to this day I've not had a whitetail run more than 60 yards before the front knees buckle. One thing I do is break the spring in by opening an closing the blades numerous times then I place a Ortho dental band on them. I also shoot all my broadheads an compare to my practice head an they've remained sharp an undamaged. Many ask why I do that an its simple not all broadheads fly the same even if they're identical. My quiver has three broadheads arrows an one discharge arrow. Its sequenced from best flight to discharge arrow. Given more time im sure the doe would have bled out. But one must also keep in mind that deer can an will live on pure adrenaline till every last bit of life has dripped out
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I believe he said he had a 3/8" hole even where it passed through. To me that sounds like a broadhead that didn't open. I've had a rage three blade do the same thing.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

I'd check them heads an make sure the lil black cap on the bottom were aligned properly if not they wont open.. That's one reason I always test my heads an work them open an close a good bit.
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I can't wait to actually get to use one. Again, it is a bit confusing to compare to other heads. You must line up the blade channels or they will not open.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!