New Day = New Deer #3 in the cooler

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

New Day = New Deer #3 in the cooler

Post by nchunterkw »

Last evening I went to my "micro" spot. Not because I use my micro there, but because it is a tiny little piece of land I have access to. But it backs up to bigger woods. Early Aug. before season I put out some minerals there along with some "3Day Harvest" and a camera. 600 pics in 3 days then it kinda went dark. BUT....a few pics had a giant on there. I put a feeder there and it seemed to scare everything away. So I pulled the feeder and left it alone for a few weeks and just hit it yesterday - hoping to duplicate the early Aug behavior. I put some minerals and 3 Day down and got setup in a nice natural blind and my leafy suit. Saw a couple but nothing came in. Wind was wrong for them to really pic up the scent of the stuff quick. But I figured someone would stumble on it in the nighttime and today was to be colder, so I went back this evening. I put out 3 wicks with Code Blue Doe Estrous and waited. Wind was crossing, but not really blowing towards the big woods. About 4:15 I pull out my phone to check the time and ...wait....what was that. DEER! OK put the phone down, slowly get ready to move the bow to the monopod.....wait for the deer to move....there walking...up goes the bow...still undetected...lets wait. One come is straight on and hangs up around one of my wicks. She is a doe and just decides to turn around and cross the creek. Other one (doe) stays on the other side of the creek and I watch them both just feed along the ridge for 10 more min. Oh well, at least seeing deer again (been a dry spell....well wet spell raining almost everyday it seems of no deer). It's really just getting prime time so lets just see what happens. A buck could chase them back down the hill and towards me. I can see the ridge to my left, and the creek is to my left too and about 4 ft below where I am sitting. Also left is some thick stuff I can't see well through. 20 minutes after I saw the first deer, BAM! one seems to literally jump out of the creek onto my side. I'm sure it came down the hillside but I couldn't see it. About 45 yds out..starts walking up goes the bow...still good undetected.....walking towards me. Right under a wick...30 yds....perfect...but facing me....a few more steps to me.....25yds.....slightly quartering now.....HONK HONK HONK! Geese flying by. The deer is intrigued by the geese. looking around, then up. Stomps it's foot at the geese. OK,....it seems more agitated now....it's quartering so.....Micro barks, Nu Fletch shines, and Whack, the RAMCAT slams home right where I wanted it between the neck and shoulder, mid level. Deer does and about face heading for the hill. Crashes in the creek, gets out, stumbles a few yards crashes, up crashes again and is done. Chris Berman could have called it....rumblin' bumblin' stumblin'...didn't go 30 yds. I immediately thank the Lord for His blessings, wait a few minutes, begin to pack up, retrieve my wicks. I can see the deer so again no tracking but I look for blood. Wow. Lot's of blood right where I shot it and a good blood trail even though guts were hanging out it's side. Wasn't sure on the arrow since it was a quartering shot so I go get the deer and drag it to my side of the creek. No arrow. Ok cool got a pass through. Let's see if we can find the arrow. There it is 25 yards away stuck in a tree. Upon further review, the Ramcat is not visible it is so buried in the tree. Can't even see the insert. How far is this thing buried in there? One tug on the arrow and the ferrule snaps right at the insert. So I got my arrow back but lost the BH. Needless to say I am pretty impressed with these broadheads so far and will be buying more. Home by 5:30, deer skinned and de boned by 7:00.

How was your weekend, Keith? Well, let me tell ya about it.....it was pretty durn good.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
GrassyKnoll

Re: New Day = New Deer #3 in the cooler

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Congrats to you and a good write up..Thanks.. :)
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
bubba

Post by bubba »

Damn Keith... You are really putting the hammer down on the deer population..Smile. Congrats again bud, and enjoyed the story. How is your freezer coming along? i would think it's about to the top. good going...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer deer n good story
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

Congratulations!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on putting deer #3 in the cooler. Great tale of the hunt too. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the harvest you will be eating well this winter.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Thanks Everyone!! As a member of Backyard Bow Pro, much of what I shoot goes to the shelters, or others in need. BUT...I did have fresh never been frozen backstrap last night for dinner. It was ummm......durn good. :D :D

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Congrats Keith!! Micro's and RamCats are for sure a deadly combo :D
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Buszone wrote:Congrats Keith!! Micro's and RamCats are for sure a deadly combo :D
I'm totally sold. Buying more today
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

woke up to read a nutter good hunting story! . . . congrats!
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
john g

Post by john g »

Thanks for posting that story. You did real good.

Garry