Bro In-Law Gets a M380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

Bro In-Law Gets a M380

Post by Drew »

Well, my brother in law finally came to light side and got rid of his compound crossbow. He picked up a M380 off ebay for a great price. We picked him up a stringer at Cabela's employee sale last Friday as well. He's going to order some arrows from Southshore archery based on my recommendations.

Question, do the M380 claws and trigger still need work straight out of the box or have they improved them? I have a TT single stage on mine but I don't want to tell him to run out and buy one after just dumping cash on a new bow. I know my M355 felt like gravel and ate servings like the cookie monster. Even after polishing the latches it still sucked. So what's the latest on them?
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
TheBig1

Re: Bro In-Law Gets a M380

Post by TheBig1 »

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I can attest to the fact that my Grizzly which was bought about 3 months ago has already eaten a serving on my string and needs reserved.

I have to go to Don's website to learn how to polish the latches before I restring it.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Drew;
Your Bro In-Law purchased a Very Good Make/Model crossbow. I got my M380 in Feb. this year. The claws wore out the factory string in no time at all. I Did the Boo polish job on the claws and it improved them but they are not perfect. I am going to purchase a T.T. Trigger in Jan or Feb. next year. I want to see for myself if they are as good as other Forum Members say they are.
There are options for him to choose from. He may want to contact Excalibur company and see what they suggest. Hope this helps.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

The bow is my favorite Matrix, love the 380. The trigger tech to me should be bought the same time the bow is in my opinion, hell it should come with it!! It don't get no better! But as for the factory triggers and claws, both are a crap shoot, mine were not shot enough to now on the mad max but the Lynx was shot and was better feeling, and the claws seemed fine what little I did shoot it. The claws are an easy fix with a 1/2 hour or so of spare time, but I aint messing with the trigger sear that is resposible for holding 260# back,,, not when the SS TT is as good as we both have witnessed.. Good Luck and hope he enjoy's that sweet 380!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

380 be a decent Matrix fer sure
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats to your BIL on great crossbow purchase. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

j.krug wrote:Congrats to your BIL on great crossbow purchase. :)
Heck Yeah! :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Drew

Post by Drew »

I'm used to modifying my equipment to either tune it to me or just general improvements. It does suck though to dump near a grand into something and then still have to modify it so that it is "functional". It's not like this hasn't been a known issue for quite some time. How difficult is it to tumble the latches prior to installation? Cheaper for them to have us buy TT triggers I guess. :roll:

Excalibur...great crossbows....with lots of issues. That being said, I believe the M355/M380 are the best of breed that's for sure.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

I myself just contacted Excalibur yesterday about my trigger on my month old 355. Claws chewing up servings and trigger pull being way to heavy. I was hoping for a reworked one to exchange with them. Within just a few hours of contacting them, they replied they have none on hand to exchange. But if I send it in they would gladly go over mine and polish it. We have another month of archery here. So I'm sure if I don't take any unnecessary shots, this last sting will hold out until I can send it in. May just dump more money and be done with it and get a TT.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
Green380

Post by Green380 »

The 380 I bought a couple months ago doesn't seem to be eating servings. I've been trying to keep a close eye on it (I did nick the string and loose a strand on something but it clearly wasn't in the serving area.)
I'd like to get a TT of course, but at the moment it wouldn't seem like I need to.
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

First thing I did to my 380 was the TT -- awesome upgrade. That said prior to the install of the TT I did not notice any abnormal wear on the serving -- guess I got one of the good ones.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Keeping the brace height up and rotating the string to change the point of impact of the claw dramatically increased the serving life on my 355.
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
Drew

Post by Drew »

So the BIL finally mounted his new scope (he sold the OEM scope on ebay) and took some shots this wknd with Slick Trick XbowTricks. He's pretty torqued and couldn't believe how fast his new bow is. He was shooting a wheelie xbow prior and was maybe 300-ish fps (maybe) with the arrows he was using. So throwing arrows upwards of 350fps has him smiling ear to ear.

Too early to tell if he as a serving wear issue.

Now the only downside is his bow is faster than my M355 lol
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Drew wrote:So the BIL finally mounted his new scope (he sold the OEM scope on ebay) and took some shots this wknd with Slick Trick XbowTricks. He's pretty torqued and couldn't believe how fast his new bow is. He was shooting a wheelie xbow prior and was maybe 300-ish fps (maybe) with the arrows he was using. So throwing arrows upwards of 350fps has him smiling ear to ear.

Too early to tell if he as a serving wear issue.

Now the only downside is his bow is faster than my M355 lol
Drew, put the stock trigger back in your M355 and I'll take it off your hands!! Take that $$ and put it towards a new M380!! My offer $400.00 firm!!! Thanks for working with me :D
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott