Farthest shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

halfbreed

Re: Farthest shot

Post by halfbreed »

....and to answer Chad's question ...under the right conditions and confidence at that time I would take the shot at long range. Thats just me though. Nothing but respect for everyone else's opinion and personal shot distances.
Matrix 380
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

halfbreed wrote:....and to answer Chad's question ...under the right conditions and confidence at that time I would take the shot at long range. Thats just me though. Nothing but respect for everyone else's opinion and personal shot distances.
X2, I could not have said it better.
If all the conditions are right, I would take a long shot in a heartbeat with my 405.
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Like has been said above, the conditions at the moment have the biggest impact on what an ethical shot is. Is the deer alone ? Are there Turkeys in the same area ? Windy ? Dew Point ? Agitated deer or relaxed ?

For the sake of arguement, Say an arrow that starts traveling at 330 fps and maintained that velocity would take .55 seconds to travel 60 (180ft)yards. Now remember that sound travels at 1,125 feet per second or 3.42 times faster than your arrow.

So in .16 seconds he hears the shot and has 4 more tenths of a second to react ?

So what can go wrong ? lol quite a bIt actually.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

O.K. IMHO, I am from the old school, I started bow hunting in 1960 :shock: and back then everything was the closer the better, we didn't have all of todays modern high tech equipment, so I am stuck with my old ways, :roll: back then if it was farther than 20 yds. we simply would not shoot..... now I hunt with a equinox,,,,, but I still can't bring myself to shoot at longer distances, but I did get cocky when I first got it and shot one at 32 yds. :oops: But to sum this up if you have the confidence that everything is right, and you can make a humane shot then by all means go fer it,!!!! :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Shotnbeer