Little advice please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bcwn

Little advice please

Post by Bcwn »

Flat nocks, or half moon? What and why the difference? Does it affect how the string pushes the arrow.

Matrix 380
Zombie slayer 20" 393 grains measured on scale

Thanks everybody in advance
Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
Gregoire1960

Re: Little advice please

Post by Gregoire1960 »

Flat nocks are required to ensure correct contact with the string & reliable arrow flight. The flat threaded insert used as the nock also allows for easier arrow removal by way of an arrow puller.
SEW

Re: Little advice please

Post by SEW »

Bcwn wrote:Flat nocks, or half moon? What and why the difference? Does it affect how the string pushes the arrow.

Matrix 380
Zombie slayer 20" 393 grains measured on scale

Thanks everybody in advance
Brad
This is my opinion. Just opinion; but, until adequately explained otherwise, I'll stick with it. Here we go. On a crossbow that has a string that goes thru the entire power stroke centered on the arrow, an arrow rest or trough that allows this to happen and has an arrow retainer (retention spring) that holds the arrow there, a flat nock "can" be used. If a crossbow is marginal in having those characteristics, a moon or particularly , a "capture" nock is better. I see no reason a moon nock could not be used on a crossbow that advertizes using flat nocks. Even a capture nock provided it doesn't prevent the string full contact with the forward part of the string grove.
Now, with all that said, I prefer flat nocks. Why? The basic principle that the more consistent (symmetrical all around) the base of a projectile is, the more inherently accurate it is. A flat nock is much more even than a moon, or especially a capture nock.
I have a M380 & 405. I benchrest shoot them to 100 yds. Equal accuracy with the 2 bows. I shoot 18" Zombies, Blazers 4 degree offset, AL inserts(26g), 170g points, and flat plastic nocks(weigh almost nothing), but have 6 more of these arrows with plastic moon nocks. I can tell no difference in trajectory. Think accuracy is marginally better at 80-100 yds with the flat nocks(1 1/2" 3 shot groups, low to no wind, using wind flags every 20 yds.
Hope this helps.
Summary: use either in your Excalibur