My new 300 FPS Excal

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Scarecrow

Re: My new 300 FPS Excal

Post by Scarecrow »

longbow joe wrote:Sounds awsome . I been" weightin" my alluminums for a wile now with a weighted extra insert n a threaded screw addin n extra 50 grain . My little 330 blew thru a big bucks shoulder many a time . Might not be a rocket but it works great. My new 355 gets me back a little more speed i cant wait to connect with it.with the weighted bolts.
You put the extra weighted insert up front? or in the rear?
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

In the front to keep FOC real good
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Do you have a "Spotter" on the other side of the lake calling in your shots and walking them onto the target? :lol: :lol:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

There's so much power and energy there that this won't matter much, but, here's an observation I recently made with my new arrow recipe. I made up three arrows, for my hog hunt, weighing 600 grains each with 20% FOC. These were traveling at 319fps giving me about 135.6 ft/lbs of K.E.. My recent recipe is 511 grains with 18.75% FOC traveling at 348fps giving me 137.45 ft/lbs of K.E.. I think I like the idea of more K.E. and flattened trajectory. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats exactly why i have to see the highest KE at the fastest fps. Sometimes i go abit more on the weight even tho i lose abit of fps because the momentum is better over all. I have not tried to choot through wild hogs shoulders, their bones are much thicker n heavier.
Half Bubble Off BD360

wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

paulaboutform wrote:There's so much power and energy there that this won't matter much, but, here's an observation I recently made with my new arrow recipe. I made up three arrows, for my hog hunt, weighing 600 grains each with 20% FOC. These were traveling at 319fps giving me about 135.6 ft/lbs of K.E.. My recent recipe is 511 grains with 18.75% FOC traveling at 348fps giving me 137.45 ft/lbs of K.E.. I think I like the idea of more K.E. and flattened trajectory. :wink:

Paul
Wow,, this is the first ever I have seen any bow, using the same limbs, same string, same BH, or same tune, lose K.E. with a heavier arrow! I have tested heavy arrows with every crossbow bow I have owned the last 5 years. Compound and Recurve, from 325 fps bows to 405 fps bows,,, in every single case the heavier I went, the higher the K.E. in every single bow. From 380 grains all the way to 637 grains. I have never seen any bow shoot a lighter arrow, and gain K.E. If I ever did, after testing no less than 10 different bows, I would have to suspect an error with a chronograph.

Even on Compound bows over the years, the same exact bow, string, cams, limbs, with the same exact tune, the heavier arrow always proved two things,,,,, More K.E. and less FPS.From what I have seen in 30 years of archery, is if this possible,,,, then at some point shooting a lighter arrow will decrease speed???
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

longbow joe wrote:Image[/URL] My concockshon you can go way more weight on the screw if you want
Thanks Joe for the pics. I was wondering how you did it.
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

wildcatter wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:There's so much power and energy there that this won't matter much, but, here's an observation I recently made with my new arrow recipe. I made up three arrows, for my hog hunt, weighing 600 grains each with 20% FOC. These were traveling at 319fps giving me about 135.6 ft/lbs of K.E.. My recent recipe is 511 grains with 18.75% FOC traveling at 348fps giving me 137.45 ft/lbs of K.E.. I think I like the idea of more K.E. and flattened trajectory. :wink:

Paul
Wow,, this is the first ever I have seen any bow, using the same limbs, same string, same BH, or same tune, lose K.E. with a heavier arrow! I have tested heavy arrows with every crossbow bow I have owned the last 5 years. Compound and Recurve, from 325 fps bows to 405 fps bows,,, in every single case the heavier I went, the higher the K.E. in every single bow. From 380 grains all the way to 637 grains. I have never seen any bow shoot a lighter arrow, and gain K.E. If I ever did, after testing no less than 10 different bows, I would have to suspect an error with a chronograph.

Even on Compound bows over the years, the same exact bow, string, cams, limbs, with the same exact tune, the heavier arrow always proved two things,,,,, More K.E. and less FPS.From what I have seen in 30 years of archery, is if this possible,,,, then at some point shooting a lighter arrow will decrease speed???
Is there a question in there or was that simply intentionally patronizing? I believe what you've done is confuse kinetic energy and momentum. Momentum (P) is essentially mass(weight) x velocity or P.=M. x V. whereas k.e. is mass x velocity squared divided by 450240 or K.E. = W. x (V. x V.)/ 450240. This isn't my opinion, it just is. You do the math. :?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I knowed to usin the weight n velocity n speed at some pt you can reach an arrow weight thats too much n you start to lose KE. In a way thats ok like i said you jus pick up the main plus, thats momentum!
Half Bubble Off BD360

kysdad

Post by kysdad »

Boy, that sounds like that will pack a punch for sure.
Matrix 350 LE
Spynal Tapps
Spitfires
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

kysdad wrote:Boy, that sounds like that will pack a punch for sure.
Really when you think about an arrow pumpin 100 lbs + KE n hittin flesh n bones, sumpin gotstid to give ! I have heard mine hit n its sound like a ballbat hittin a fat ripe watermelon :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

[/quote]

Is there a question in there or was that simply intentionally patronizing? I believe what you've done is confuse kinetic energy and momentum. Momentum (P) is essentially mass(weight) x velocity or P.=M. x V. whereas k.e. is mass x velocity squared divided by 450240 or K.E. = W. x (V. x V.)/ 450240. This isn't my opinion, it just is. You do the math. :?[/quote]

Absolutely no question whatsoever, I know how my equipment performs, from a Phoenix to a 405 any bow tested from 380 grains up to 637 grains, these are the facts of how every one of my bows perform!

Maybe you are doubting what my equipment does,, I stated yours is a first, I never doubted or said your's didn't,,,, please don't insinuate I don't understand simple math equations, or I am making up my results!! I can, and have, there is many ways and formula's to determine KE,,,,, speed X speed divided by 450240 X weight, this is the Dwight Shuh formula from many years back, you may want to recheck the formula you are using, but it will be the same outcome, even for a 300 mag and a 180 grain bullet,,,, :wink:

I have done this math for over 40 years, trust me I don't comment on what I think,,,, If I ain't been there, done that,, I don't make the comment!

Again I stated very clearly, your is the only bow I have ran into with this outcome using less than a 637 grain arrow, which is as heavy as I shoot. I made no comment about anything heavier, and wouldn't. As I said I haven't been there done that,,,,,,,YET!

By the way you can also use this formula weight/450240 X speed X speed,,, same thing.. very simple math,,, or I couldn't do it!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!