Hunting with ghillie suit

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: Hunting with ghillie suit

Post by amythntr »

....I wouldn't dare post a picture of me in mine...I do like it however...As Storm Dragon said, If it ever gets cold might be interesting to try during winter bow....him, what about Spring Turkey?

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

the jackel gille suite will not catch on anything i walk through fields& brush nothing sticks to it. its different material than the bush rag
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

When i got my gillie it was the coolist thing sneeking out in it the first time . Its really sad when this type of thing is so memorable maby i need a better life . Or im just simple. Only another hunter would understand. Lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
manitou1

Post by manitou1 »

Been hunting off the ground with a ghillie suit and my recurve bow for several years. Harder to get drawn, but a rush when you lace an arrow through one.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

amythntr wrote:....I wouldn't dare post a picture of me in mine...I do like it however...As Storm Dragon said, If it ever gets cold might be interesting to try during winter bow....him, what about Spring Turkey?

I've been using a Leafy Wear suit for many many years and 2 yrs ago bought more of a true ghille suit from Gander Mtn. Deer seem to look right through me. They have no clue. I've done everything said on here so far. Just sit on a field edge, just sut against a tree, sit next to a fern or cedar, but mostly I try to brush in some....that is the best.

Anthony - yes they are hot, but I find it much easier to really hide in early season. By winter everything is down and all leaves are gone. You end up sticking out in a barren woods. They don't really know what you are, but notice something is different. However, if you had a bunch of evergreens you would be golden.

I plan to start hitting some thrift stores to find old fake Christmas trees and start putting them out as brush piles in my spots so I have cover for late season.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I use a Cabelas leafy Ghillie top only. Sit in blowdowns and love using it. Had numerous nice bucks around me this year while wearing it even had a 140+ buck chasing a doe around me at less than 5 yds at times and never saw me. In fact I bought my son and nephew Cabelas ghillie tops this year for Christmas.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

This sounds cool. I think I would like to try this style of hunting. I have had deer come in real close while I was turkey hunting and sitting in a brush pile. And that was just with regular camo and the wind in my favor.
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

It's my favorite way to hunt. You still need to play the wind and limit movement, although it seems to me that you can get away with a little bit. I try to only move when the deer are moving. If they are still, I am still
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

amythntr wrote:....I wouldn't dare post a picture of me in mine...I do like it however...
Anthony, the question was not about hunting in your "Girly" suit...it's "Ghillie" suit...haha just kidding! :mrgreen:

I feel like a democrap who is "skewing" an issue... :lol:
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
GunsiteScout

Post by GunsiteScout »

I have a coveralls in vintage tree bark pattern from the the early 90s. I get lots of laughs when I wear it at huntcamp. I might use them to try and make my own ghillie from scratch.