ExoMax, and matching Broadheads to it

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

ExoMax, and matching Broadheads to it

Post by Hi5 »

I'm wondering whether it would be better to down play increased speed, and instead shoot heavier arrows with wider cutting blades?

Flatter trajectory is nice, but wouldn't the killing ability be significantly better with a bigger cut? I don't know what a reasonable maximum would be, maybe a 1/2" or more is possible before penetration would be unduly compromised?

The old technology may not have been able to support bigger blades and heavier arrows, but the Exomag and ExoMax should be able to without a significant sacrifice in trajectory, wouldn't you think? I'm assuming that there is a consensus that for hunting the majority of shooting takes place between 15 to 30 yards.

Anyone else think that we are not using the full killing potential of our equipment?
Last edited by Hi5 on Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Hi5 my Max is doing 323fps, brace height @ 1 1/8" bolt weight @ 452gr - + 2gr on 6 bolts, 2216's with 4"vanes. Vanes are not my choice as I prefer feathers of which I did not have. I am more than satisfied with that speed using that weight of bolt. My low was 321fps.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

What I was getting at, Gary, is that maybe speed is not so important.

It gives a slight improvement to trajectory, true, but wouldn't a slightly slower arrow and a larger wound channel be more effective as far as hunting is concerned?

Wouldn't our bows be more effective hunting machines shooting heavier arrows (to get more penetration), and with the arrows carrying wider blades?

If most of our shooting while hunting is between 15 to 30 yards, trajectory is not such a big issue, is it?
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

IMHO - At the kind of KE that we get when we are shooting tehse g kinds of set ups it si probably a mute point to discuss "more effective"

We are way into overkill now, especially on whitetail deer.

Now if it is larger and /or dangerous animals with tough hides (such as Bill T's B Cape Buffalo) then I would say that we would want to step up arrow weight to get more momentum which is a big aid in penetration. But in that case I wouldn't go for a bigger broadead, but a two bladed one.

IMHO....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Hi5 wrote:What I was getting at, Gary, is that maybe speed is not so important.

It is for string jump, faster = better.

It gives a slight improvement to trajectory, true, but wouldn't a slightly slower arrow and a larger wound channel be more effective as far as hunting is concerned?

Yes to a point, but a well placed bolt is effective, a larger cutting blade would sure help.

Wouldn't our bows be more effective hunting machines shooting heavier arrows (to get more penetration), and with the arrows carrying wider blades?

Theoretically yes :!:

My views in your quote in bold :!: :wink:

If most of our shooting while hunting is between 15 to 30 yards, trajectory is not such a big issue, is it?
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Woody

I realize in the absence of actual testing that I am speculating about what is "effective" when talking about "wound channel".

However, with the excess penetration available using standard broadheads, wouldn't in theory at least, larger broadheads be preferable because they would be more likely to cause more bleeding? The wider the cut, the more likely to cut more of the vascular structure?

I saw an arrow that was stuck into the ground after a complete pass through on a cow elk. It was stuck. It was not just laying there. Impressive? Heck yes! But was it the most effective use of the bow's energy? I have begun to have doubts. The bow was just an ExoMag.

It seems to me that for deer that larger broadheads would make even more sense, since there is so much more potential for over penetration. Instead of the arrow expending its energy lodging into the ground, where it is wasted, why not have it used up making a bigger cut?

The new ExoMax has so much more energy available and I'm wondering if our thinking has caught up to putting it to its most practical use.
BUCKeYeHunter

deer reflex

Post by BUCKeYeHunter »

considering deer are excellent arrow dodgers i think i'd prefer speed instead gaing KE (which is minimal) at the sacrifice of arrow speed.even then IMHO any arrow over 500gr. would be a waste.in addition,most deer hunting experts i've hear say an arrow passing thru is much more lethal than one imbedded in prey.kind of like havin a splinter in your finger and when ya pull it out it bleeds.......................................believe what ya want we're all only part right.just adding a point of view.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

BUCKeYeHunter

(I hope I remembered your handle correctly)! I agree Kinetic Energy increase is not the goal. I'm talking about increased wound channel size. We aren't going to be able to "blast 'em off their feet".

I'm not even suggesting increasing broadhead size to the point an arrow predictably would fail to make a pass through.

All I'm getting at is that if an arrow can make a pass though on a cow elk and jam into the ground, wouldn't it be better to open up the wound channel a bit and have the arrow easier to pull out of the ground?

It seems to me broadhead design hasn't caught up to ExoMag, and certainly ExoMax, technology.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Hi5 have you checked too see what the largest cutting broad head is in dia. :?:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

If you get o good liver or heart or lung shot it dont really matter the size of the arrow or broad head that deer is going down. It all depends on the shot.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

GaryL wrote:Hi5 have you checked too see what the largest cutting broad head is in dia. :?:
Not really. I'm only interested in the premium types, such as Slick Tricks. No doubt there are custom or semi custom broadheads that can be found.

I just think it would be nice if the type that fly so well could be available in sizes suitable to the increased performance of the Exomag/max.
BUCKeYeHunter

broadhead selection

Post by BUCKeYeHunter »

some of these open up to over 2" and on an especially light arrow will spin incredibly fast....act somewhat like a combination switchblade meatgrinder that's goin about 310 fps.......what more could ya ask for?.........i don't think excals shoot harpoons,but i'm sure now that i've said it someone will try......... :lol: too much power? they do make other crossbows.
FlyingAce

Diminishing Returns

Post by FlyingAce »

Granted, I am a newbie on archery scene so practically I do not have much of to stand on, but logic would suggest that it would not matter whether you're shooting a 1", 1 1/2" or larger broadhead if you're shot does not hit the mark. After all, it is not going to matter how big wound channel is if you're off a couple of inches and hit the shoulder instead of a vital organ.

I understand your concern on efficiency, but isn't not true that the larger the broadhead the more weight in grains he you're going to be throwing through the air. In that case, isn't your bolt going to drop like a rock, more so than it already does, at longer distances as it loses velocity and kinetic energy thereby being more susceptible to wind gusts making my longer shots less accurate. Therefore, in my mind it becomes an issue of diminishing returns; larger wound channels or confidence in my maximum "effective" range. Again, this is just what makes sense to me, and I have no practical experience to back it up, therefore, am I all wet? I am ready to learn, if someone wants to tell me where I am wrong.
Jim Mace

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." Gen. George S. Patton

Flying Ace Enterprises Inc.
[url]http://www.flyingaceinc.com[/url]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Hi5 I know what your saying and it makes sense theoretically.

I will stay with my SlickTricks or Montec g5's and go for the best shot placement I can make. Using the Vixen or Exocet I would keep it to a 30 yard shot max, Exomag 200LB no problem on 40 yards on a un-alert deer. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
BUCKeYeHunter

ace.

Post by BUCKeYeHunter »

i think your theory holds water.