ExoMax, and matching Broadheads to it

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Shot placement will remain important, of course. A gut shot deer is just that.

In my jurisdiction broadhead size to be legal must be no less than 7/8". The heavier Slick Tricks are 1 1/8". I think that is pretty standard amongst manufacturers where the broadhead weight is 100 to 125 grains.

My point is that this standardization was adopted before the high energy crossbow came along.

Would a larger broadhead salvage a shot that was way off the mark? Not likely. However, in a shot that was marginal, if it were feasible, an extra 1/2" of cut might convert the shot into a clean, quick kill.

The point has been raised that less powerfull bows are available. Well, I'm not complaining about the ability of the Exomag or Exomax to punch through a game animal. What I'm trying to get across is that such energy is wasted if the arrow is being driven deep into the ground after a pass through. The energy would be better used in making a bigger cut. Burying an arrow into the ground after a pass through serves no usefull purpose.

There are mechanical broadheads on the market that have a bigger cutting diameter. Frankly, I still prefer the fixed style, especially now that there are some on the market that do fly truly the same as target points. I prefer to use only one type of hunting point, and one that could be used on moose as well. I don't see mechanicals as the answer, even though they have improved over the years.

The Slick Trick broadhead is available in 100 and 125 grain versions, both having a 1 1/8" cut. I'd sure be curious to know if they could hold the weight of the 125 grain to that level, but increase the cut by possibly 1/2". I suspect that the trajectory would still be fine, as would be the penetration.

More isn't always better, I know. I don't think it would be worse, here, and I suspect the gains would be real.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
BUCKSHOT

Just Wondering

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I would have to agree with some of the points at hand here!
If the broadhead was too large and effected your center of ballance, that would certainly effect your acccuracy, but that is easily overcome by making your arrow longer or using heavier inserts in the back e.t.c
In theory I would think that the larger the broadhead the more the possibility of snagging a vital organ or vein.
The thing that I am wondering, is that if you can get a pass through on a Deer, at say thrity yards with a Vixen or an Exocet perhaps you are wasting the energy of some of the larger bows by taking a shot that is too close! As Gary said "40 yards on a Deer that is not alert".
Therefore if you can get a pass through on a Deer with an E-Max at forty yards would that not be an efficient use of energy and allow more possibilities as far as the range of potential quality long shots go?
I have read a lot of threads on string jump e.t.c and I know there are risks to a long shot, all I am saying is that maybe KE supplied by the larger bows has been limited in use, by what we have learned from the smaller bows. Throughout the evolution of bows perhaps we are not expanding on the capability of KE at greater effective ranges!
Just wondering if that makes any sense!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

There's only one fly in the ointment on these arguements for wider cutting diameters. WIND! Wind will toss these arrows way off target. The faster the arrow, the more pronounced the effect of wind becomes.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Woodsman wrote:There's only one fly in the ointment on these arguements for wider cutting diameters. WIND! Wind will toss these arrows way off target. The faster the arrow, the more pronounced the effect of wind becomes.
Other then the fact of a well designed mechanical broadhead of which will fly as true as a field tip. From the 200LB MAG or 225LB MAX they need to be double banded or taped with a band of scotch tape. With this style of broad head you could get both speed, accuracy and larger cutting Dia.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

GaryL, yup! And the best of the lot are Spitfires.

http://www.newarchery.com/broadheads/spitfire.asp
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Tom

Post by Tom »

GaryL wrote:
Woodsman wrote:There's only one fly in the ointment on these arguements for wider cutting diameters. WIND! Wind will toss these arrows way off target. The faster the arrow, the more pronounced the effect of wind becomes.
Other then the fact of a well designed mechanical broadhead of which will fly as true as a field tip. From the 200LB MAG or 225LB MAX they need to be double banded or taped with a band of scotch tape. With this style of broad head you could get both speed, accuracy and larger cutting Dia.
I agree with both of these above statements. Wind on a larger cutting dia head will cause the arrow to wonder. Some mechanicals need to be double banded and they all need to be inspected regularly to make sure their devices to hold the blades shut will work properly. NAP spitfires told me that they have been tested to not open early up to 450 fps.

Now back to the meaning of this thread.

In my opinion, with greater speeds (exomax) you have the ability to choose, heavier for speed. This is sufficent in being able to give up some speed for extra weight and still be able to be fast enough to help eliminate string jump (speed is the only way to actually stop it, getting the arrrow there before the deer has a chance to react).

If you setup has great accuracy, then go with it, weither your heavy, light, large head, or small cutting heads. All these bows have way more then enough KE for deer. I shoot a 1 1/2" spitfire because it is large , but most importantly it is drop dead accurate.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]