Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Thunderbird

Re: Black bear hunting tips

Post by Thunderbird »

Thanks everyone all this info is great :D If i study hard enough i should have it all memorized by opening day :lol: :mrgreen:
Mega 405 Vortex Big Johns custom arrows
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Good evening everyone !!! I have used Slick tricks ( grizz trick 100) for deer for the last couple of years they work great do you recommend them for bear ? If not what broad heads do you recommend ? My son is 13 and wants to give it a try with me however he wants to use his rifle which is a 243 do you think this is ample I have a 270 wsm as well but he finds it has to much recoil .What is your thoughts I appreciate all the feedback .Thanks Pete :D
Mega 405 Vortex Big Johns custom arrows
galamb

Post by galamb »

243 is fine for black bears.

A decent broadside shot and bye bye Yogi.

Hornady's 80 grain GMX Superformance or Full Boar would be a good choice in an "off the shelf" ammo.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I'd suggest putting a game camera on the bait. Put it 9-10 ft up aimed down and spray it with scent killer after you mount it. Metal box good idea if they make one for your camera - this prevents bears from munching it. Study the pictures and compare them to others online in books etc until you know a good bear from a cub. This will tell you what you have coming to bait. Most new guys get excited and shoot first bear they see. This is ok for young lad if your not seeing a lot of bears. But you may wish to shoot something bigger than a boo boo bear :mrgreen: It's the difference between a bear rug and a toilet seat cover! Big bears move slowly and will look at you like what the heck do you want. If you are using a 50 gallon barrel for bait, you are looking for a bear that is bigger than the barrel. If one comes in that makes the barrel look small - don't hold off any longer -SHOOT.
vodek

Post by vodek »

After three days they used to your scent.
Big ones not always will give you the best shot.
For big one, I will get the best shot as soon the coming in. It depends on the area and hunting pressure.
I always take the best or perfect shot. I take them clean
or not shoot.
Vodek
Moejeep

Post by Moejeep »

Great info...

I have bear hunted before, but this year I will be trying with bait.

I have concerns over bears braking my trail cam, will it be okay screwed to a tree or should I make a metal frame to attach around it?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Inexpensive bait is what you want, but something that bears like. You've received excellent suggestions. Bears do eat anything, and strong odour is important for attracting them to your hunting site.

However, there can be another source. If you or your neighbours have a baby in diapers, save the lumpy ones. You may find that you will often be insisting that it's your turn to do the nappy changes. Of course, you'll be making your baby happy, but at the same time you'll be building up your supply of bear bait.

I'ts a win-win. Best of all, you'll be building up merit points with your wife. :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Hi5 wrote:Inexpensive bait is what you want, but something that bears like. You've received excellent suggestions. Bears do eat anything, and strong odour is important for attracting them to your hunting site.

However, there can be another source. If you or your neighbours have a baby in diapers, save the lumpy ones. You may find that you will often be insisting that it's your turn to do the nappy changes. Of course, you'll be making your baby happy, but at the same time you'll be building up your supply of bear bait.

I'ts a win-win. Best of all, you'll be building up merit points with your wife. :D :D
Bear hunters get in enough trouble when non hunters find bait sites without turning area into a dump. Sorry but I cannot think of a more disgusting thing to spread over the woods than baby diapers. Please consider this $hitty advice and find another source of bait. We don't need this mess in the woods.

No disrespect meant to the poster suggesting this one, please think about your actions and if you continue this practice please don't recommend it to anyone.
Moejeep

Post by Moejeep »

That is discussing... It is bad enough cleaning the diaper genie for garbage day.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Moejeep wrote:That is discussing... It is bad enough cleaning the diaper genie for garbage day.
You're right. Just think of it though. Instead of having to make excuses to be able to go bear hunting, wouldn't it be better to have the wife encouraging you to go? :D :D :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

diapers? im gonna puke! :? say it again there is no magic bait. :lol:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Remember the post above..... they taste like what they eat :wink: ..... Forget the lumpy diapers. Fall bears eating dead or dying fish are bad enough.... I can't emagine how those diaper fed bears would taste :shock: :?
( Maybe if you squeezed your nose shut really tightly ...... not me ! ) :lol:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Hi5 wrote:Inexpensive bait is what you want, but something that bears like. You've received excellent suggestions. Bears do eat anything, and strong odour is important for attracting them to your hunting site.

That's both disgusting and hilarious!!!! :P

Since they're such foragers, do you think that it would change the taste of the meat?

If so I'm thinking that I should bait with donuts and peanut butter, MMM, MMM, MMM!!! :P
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Big John

Post by Big John »

Never take diapers into the woods! Never!
And I would hope that this is a joke only. If so, it should be stated as so.
Take in what is food only. Broken down by rain, and the area clean afterward. That is a true bait. The only thing dragged around the woods is kibble or popcorn or molasses.
Never anything else.
Come to my camp and see how clean the baits are, and area around it. And still get Bears no problem.
Nice clean natural woods Bears!
When we leave, you could not tell we were there! Even if you did a walk hundreds of yards around the baits.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]