rage 2-blade open on launch from 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: rage 2-blade open on launch from 380

Post by nchunterkw »

DuckHunt wrote:
nchunterkw wrote: FWIW, some research I did on over 500 bow kills shows that there is no correlation between BH type (fixed or mechanical), size (cut diameter), number of blades (total cut) or anything other BH parameter and the distance a deer travels after the shot. The median distance is 50 yds, with the 90th percentile being about 90yds.
I'm not sure that's totally accurate. All other things being equal (and they never are), a 2" cut 3-blade head should put deer on the ground faster than a 1" cut 3-blade head.
DuckHunt
That was my initial thinking too, but it's just not the case. I broke the data I had down every which way I could and there was just no difference. When you start to think about it, any BH does pretty massive damage to the lungs, so it appears that the damage is the over-riding variable.

Also, you may want to check out your arrows for the Exomax. That is usually the culprit of bad BH flight. That is if you want to change....but of course no reason to.

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

I had the opposite problem last spring with the rage 2 blade.shooting my phoenix my arrow went right through a nice tom at 20 yds and didn't open.The tom jumped up a foot in the air and then walked away with the other birds.when I found the arrow it hadn't opened.later in the season I took 2 toms with spitfires which I've used before.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

nchunterkw wrote:
DuckHunt wrote:
nchunterkw wrote: FWIW, some research I did on over 500 bow kills shows that there is no correlation between BH type (fixed or mechanical), size (cut diameter), number of blades (total cut) or anything other BH parameter and the distance a deer travels after the shot. The median distance is 50 yds, with the 90th percentile being about 90yds.
I'm not sure that's totally accurate. All other things being equal (and they never are), a 2" cut 3-blade head should put deer on the ground faster than a 1" cut 3-blade head.
DuckHunt
That was my initial thinking too, but it's just not the case. I broke the data I had down every which way I could and there was just no difference. When you start to think about it, any BH does pretty massive damage to the lungs, so it appears that the damage is the over-riding variable.

Also, you may want to check out your arrows for the Exomax. That is usually the culprit of bad BH flight. That is if you want to change....but of course no reason to.

Keith

I always liked a fixed head when hunting Bucks because you could take angle shot..But we never had Mechnicals before and I use them now BUT I only take broadside shot with them and have let go many bucks because of that could have been killed with fixed blade head....
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

You guys bringing up some great points about broadhead cutting width not being directly related to blood trail length.

I have been a handgun hunter for most of my life and we have found that an animals pulmonary and circulatory system only has enough pressure to fill about a garden hose size hole...So any hole that is bigger is wasted bullet energy and does zero to shorten blood trails...it doesn't even increase blood flow/loss!.

So we learned that after a 5/8"- 1" hole is achieved you are better off making the hole deeper.

This goes right along what you are saying from 500 kills showing larger cutting blade size does not shorten blood trails.....SO I would have to agree that you will be better served with a quality fixed head with "normal" cutting width...save the energy to allow for quartering or marginal hits...long wound channels are better, with complete pass-throughs being optimum.