Which Excal makes the most sense for me?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Strider

Which Excal makes the most sense for me?

Post by Strider »

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and have been reading about all the different models, add ons, strings...well, you all know how much stuff there is out here about the bows! It can be a bit confusing.

I have a compound crossbow currently, and am looking to purchase a new to me Excal and pass my current bow down to my son. I am very much a newbie to recurve xbows. I know everyone has their preference, and I hope I am not asking the same questions as "what's the best caliber for deer hunting", and that is very subjective and people are downright passionate about their rifle calibers.

I like to shoot at targets, but the bow's main use would be for whitetail hunting in the lower 48. I also have the possibility of going on a black bear hunt in a couple years, so it would be nice to be able to use the same bow.

I'm a big guy, 6'4", so I would like a bow that is a bit longer (so it fits), and that has enough energy to take game cleanly, as well as be accurate and reliable.

My first inclination was to get the fastest bow possible (more power - Tim Allen style), and I almost purchased a Mega 405 available locally, before I just slowed the truck up, and decided to do some reading and ask some folks that know way more about these bows than I do, what the best choice might be for my intended use.

I am not opposed to buying a used bow, but not knowing much about them, I also am not aware of the lifespan of the bow, and what I would need to look for in a used model.

Thanks for any help and insight you guys may pass on to me.

J
Normous

Re: Which Excal makes the most sense for me?

Post by Normous »

Welcome, on the left side of the Excalibur site page take a look at " selecting the right crossbow". Maybe this information could help.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Strider

Post by Strider »

In my excitement, I did not make it all the way down the sidebar! I am reading it now. Thanks...
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Check your state laws regarding bows. I am in,Illinois and they have a max weight of 200 lbs. hate to see how many guys bought 405's and come to find out they can't use them.
Strider

Post by Strider »

I never looked for maximums. I just pulled up the regulations and in North Carolina we have minimum bow weights, but no current maximum weights are in the regulations.

I am leaning towards a Matrix 380 or 355 after reading through the sidebar.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You might want to consider an Equinox or Exomax. They are old school but there are a few new ones still floating around and you can get them for a song. They are more than fast enough. The founder, Bill Troubridge, killed an elephant with an Exomax.
I always cringe a bit when a newbie picks the fastest bow as their first bow, but the Bulldog would fit you well at your height. The issue being, and it's obvious, mistakes made with the higher poundage bows carry greater consequences.
Good luck in your search!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

RUN don't walk to the Trading Post right here on the Excalibur site... Elknut has a Very Nice 380 totally decked out and is letting it go complete for $625.00 with a TT trigger :shock:

:oops: I just went and checked and he has sold it since I talked with him. :roll:

Keep looking as the new models are out, and I have seen several great buys posted. Some guys are willing to sell their present models, many close to new, to be able to buy a new 2016 model. 8)

Be patient, and do a search of crossbow forums as there are additional sites that also have clasified sections. :wink:
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

My son is the same size as you and he shot my Matrix 330 and said it was very comfortable to shoot . Had no issue with it .
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

I'm new at this crossbow thing but reading what you said and looking for one that will comfortably fit you, you can always add a Stock X Tender, therefore most excal crossbows should fit. So if you ever decide to give it to your son he can use it too.

Excal Link:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalo ... -tender_ap
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
SwamperWI

Post by SwamperWI »

You've come to the right place for lots of great information. Last fall the guys I have gun hunted with for close to 30 years and I decided it was time to try crossbow. We did just enough research at the time to know we wanted Excalibur. One bought a Matrix 380, one bought a Grizzly, and I found a good deal on a new Matrix 405. After purchasing my 405, I spent a lot of time gathering information on this forum and the internet. I really like my 405 and I have no plans to change... I may add another someday...

That said, if I had done more research first, I would probably have purchased a Matrix 355 or 330. They have plenty of power, are a lot easier to draw, and are easier on equipment. Good luck on the search!
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX Scope
Dr Stirrup (stirrup & silencers)
Munch Mount and Hooks
18" Zombies
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I too would recommend an older model, the Equinox. Plenty of power, uses 20" arrows which are available everywhere, and provide good weight, and FOC due to the longer length. Being as tall as you are, there would be no problem cocking that bow, and problems associated with the Mag Tip models are rare. Also, as mentioned the price would be very easy to get you an opportunity to upgrade scope, and arrows.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

I believe their is a vortex new for 450 on the crossbowtalk classifieds.

Check out al flahertys website. They have the 350LE for 699CAD. Would come to about 530USD after exchange rate conversion. It is a great bow at a great price.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

380 would be my pick,,,, I've owned em all and the 380 is my favorite,,, I own 2 and they are not fer sale. That one in the classifieds was a steal, thats why its already gone! But they come up now and then in the classifieds. The 355 and 380 both in my opinion are the sweet spot in the Excalibur line! The 405 is a great hunting bow,,, but it isn't much fun on extended shooting sessions with it's heavy draw weight. I would suggest them this way

1) if you like extended shootin sessions and having them often,,, 355 hands down is a bow that screams shoot me, plenty of speed and power fer any game anywhere and a pretty easy to cock.

2) if you shoot a lot, and once in a while have extended shooting sessions,, the 380 is great bow that offers more speed and power than needed,, you may prefer the extra power it offers.

3) If you won't be shooting it much and want the baddest bow Excalibur ever produced with power to waste,,,, the 405 will work,,, but even a healthy man will tire cocking it by hand or crank fairly quick!

I have 2 380's fer hunting and love em, but love to shoot the crap out of the 355,,, I don't get tiered of cocking it and will use it hunting without sacrificing power to take anything on this continent!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Y25 on the Trading Post....500.00......"Purdy fine bow!" just a thought.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

flightattendant100 wrote:Y25 on the Trading Post....500.00......"Purdy fine bow!" just a thought.
X2 that would be a perfect bow!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen