Just for fun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Troubleshooter

Just for fun

Post by Troubleshooter »

A question, just for fun...(totally no use at all)

Sometimes i wonder how far my bolt will reach, shooting it as far as possible - without a target. I don't have the field this size to use, so i can't try it myself.

I shoot a 380 and 400 grain 20 inch....i think it will travelling (just a guess) 1000 yards before it lands on the ground.

Someone an idea?
Czy_Horse

Re: Just for fun

Post by Czy_Horse »

You caught my interest so I did the Google thing and found:

"The furthest distance shot with any bow is 2,047 yards (1,871.84m). (*Note- 1 mile = 1760 yds*) This was shot by the late Harry Drake in 1988 using a crossbow. The furthest with a hand-held — and pulled — bow is 1,336 yds 1' 3" (1,222.01m) , shot by Don Brown with an unlimited conventional Flight bow in 1987."

I was unable to find any more info on what crossbow he used but I think attempting to breaking the record sounds like a fun BooFest activity :mrgreen:

Czy_Horse
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

Wow, that's much more than i aspected. Thank you for finding this information and sharing it!

1988...it must have been a very fast crossbow for that time, but nowadays crossbows are much faster.

So, maybe my 380 can also reach more than a mile(?)

Also thinking about crossbows like the Skorpyd 175 now...these bolts must reach a very large distance than.

Thank you for your info - very interesting to hear this!
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

I just found some information on a old piece of forum from the year 2009:

Person 1: 377 yds. Shooting a DXT, 63#, 283 fps with a 360 grain arrow

and:

Person 2: Elite GT500, 30 inch draw, 70 lbs, 2 inch blazers, a field tip and 360 grain arrow. Optimum angle is 38 degrees and I get around 500 yards.

...that's way less than the world records offcourse, but i aspected more. Even from the 283 fps bow, which is not a fast bow ...377 yards is not a long distance.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Over a mile?? WOW...I would never expected the distance to be anywhere near that long! :shock:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I did this exact thing after a bison hunt in Neb. The outfitter is also a long range Sharps shooter and he had us out shooting his Sharps rifles....what a blast. Anyway, we were about 380yds from the target (life sized buffalo made of 1/4" steel) and we all wanted to see if I could reach the target with my crossbow. I was pretty confident...my buddy and the outfitter less so. Arrow was a Easton FMJ with blazers and 100gr tip with brass insert. Total wt was around 525gr. I lined up with the buffalo and raised up to about 45 degrees or so and let 'er fly! We could not find the arrow due to the weeds. The Outfitter found it 2 weeks later about 30 yards past the target. So it went around 400 or 410yds....and that was 525gr.

Oh yeah...shooting my Vortex so the launch speed was probably around 290or 295fps
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

nchunterkw wrote:I did this exact thing after a bison hunt in Neb. The outfitter is also a long range Sharps shooter and he had us out shooting his Sharps rifles....what a blast. Anyway, we were about 380yds from the target (life sized buffalo made of 1/4" steel) and we all wanted to see if I could reach the target with my crossbow. I was pretty confident...my buddy and the outfitter less so. Arrow was a Easton FMJ with blazers and 100gr tip with brass insert. Total wt was around 525gr. I lined up with the buffalo and raised up to about 45 degrees or so and let 'er fly! We could not find the arrow due to the weeds. The Outfitter found it 2 weeks later about 30 yards past the target. So it went around 400 or 410yds....and that was 525gr.

Oh yeah...shooting my Vortex so the launch speed was probably around 290or 295fps
290 fps / 525 grain arrow and 400(+) yards. That's impressive. Thank you for telling this nice story. It was fun reading it.
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

I bet atmospheric conditions play a big part too. Like I think you could get a lot more distance if you were at a higher elevation with thinner air, humidity may even play a factor.
Real cool thread!
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

My brother and I shot for distance on a field with my Equinox using firebolts and 150 gr. field points.The results were about the same as nchunterkws. It was a bit worrysome watching the first one disappear let me tell you. :shock: :lol:
Hank