Black bear hunting tips

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Moejeep

Re: Black bear hunting tips

Post by Moejeep »

Can Deer feed corn be popped into popcorn, or do you need to buy 'popcorn' kernels?
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

It is illegal to bait in pa.But outlaws use Donuts or cooking oil etc on trees ....Some use perch they caught in summer....Jelly filled Donuts are no.1 poacher bait for bears here...
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

After hunting bears with a crossbow the last 2 seasons I have learned a great deal. Number one is patience. When the bear finally shows up take your time and aim small miss small. A well placed archery shot = bear straps on the bbq... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

When I hunt Bear from a ground blind I don't use no bow. LOL :lol:
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Moejeep wrote:Can Deer feed corn be popped into popcorn, or do you need to buy 'popcorn' kernels?
pretty sure you need popping corn,head over to a bulk barn, i think that would be your cheapest route
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

My buddy in Northern Alberta uses his trapping carcasses beavers and such. I don't hunt with him as I don't like hunting over baits to many skeets much prefer spot and stalk and popping them with the LR rifle :D in BC.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Thunderbird asked a sensible question and galamb and others offered some excellent advice to him on bear baiting. Nevertheless, I'm going to be stubborn about my suggestion about using lumpy Pampers as bear bait.

If you are an old geezer like me, or a young single guy, go with the advice of the other friends. However, if you've got a "young one" in your life, you might want to listen to what I have to say. There's "pros" and there's "cons" involved. The "pros" win, I think.

Let's add up the "pros". First of all, it's free. Actually it's not. You've simply already paid for the raw materials that goes into making the Pampers lumpy. The thing is, it's convenient. There will be a supply that seems unending. Best of all, you don't have to chase around collecting the stuff, like you would with deep fryer oil, or any of the other stuff.

Now, here's a biggie. If you jump in and do every diaper change, that's bonding with your baby. It's good for the baby and it's good for you. Now, for the big one--your wife will appreciate you SO much more as her partner in life. Heck, she'll probably be bragging about you to her friends. Think about it, if you want to go bear hunting, you won't even have to make excuses. You are going to have the enthusiastic support of your wife, doing all she can to help you to make it happen. I'd say that this trumps everything, but let's look at the "cons" and measure them.

Some of our friends here have posted concerns that I guess should simply be described as the "squeamish" factor. They plan to eat bear meat, I guess. Well, my friends, you shouldn't let the thought of lumpy Pampers concern you. Bears will eat anything. Whatever they can get. The stronger the smell, the better. They do that anyway. So, what should it matter if you offer them some lumpy Pampers treats? I can't see how that would affect the color of the meat, texture, flavor-- or at least not very much.

Some friends here were concerned that baiting a hunting site with lumpy Pampers would be an unsightly mess. That could be a valid point, but there is a simple solution. After you're finished hunting, if they haven't snacked up every bit of it, just pick up the leftovers.

:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
kamont

Post by kamont »

Hi5 wrote:Thunderbird asked a sensible question and galamb and others offered some excellent advice to him on bear baiting. Nevertheless, I'm going to be stubborn about my suggestion about using lumpy Pampers as bear bait.

If you are an old geezer like me, or a young single guy, go with the advice of the other friends. However, if you've got a "young one" in your life, you might want to listen to what I have to say. There's "pros" and there's "cons" involved. The "pros" win, I think.

Let's add up the "pros". First of all, it's free. Actually it's not. You've simply already paid for the raw materials that goes into making the Pampers lumpy. The thing is, it's convenient. There will be a supply that seems unending. Best of all, you don't have to chase around collecting the stuff, like you would with deep fryer oil, or any of the other stuff.

Now, here's a biggie. If you jump in and do every diaper change, that's bonding with your baby. It's good for the baby and it's good for you. Now, for the big one--your wife will appreciate you SO much more as her partner in life. Heck, she'll probably be bragging about you to her friends. Think about it, if you want to go bear hunting, you won't even have to make excuses. You are going to have the enthusiastic support of your wife, doing all she can to help you to make it happen. I'd say that this trumps everything, but let's look at the "cons" and measure them.

Some of our friends here have posted concerns that I guess should simply be described as the "squeamish" factor. They plan to eat bear meat, I guess. Well, my friends, you shouldn't let the thought of lumpy Pampers concern you. Bears will eat anything. Whatever they can get. The stronger the smell, the better. They do that anyway. So, what should it matter if you offer them some lumpy Pampers treats? I can't see how that would affect the color of the meat, texture, flavor-- or at least not very much.

Some friends here were concerned that baiting a hunting site with lumpy Pampers would be an unsightly mess. That could be a valid point, but there is a simple solution. After you're finished hunting, if they haven't snacked up every bit of it, just pick up the leftovers.

You sir can stay in Manitoba, diapers are not biodegradable and if you find it too much trouble to pick up proper bait I doubt you would walk the bush to clean up the mess. :roll:
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

kamont wrote:
Hi5 wrote:Thunderbird asked a sensible question and galamb and others offered some excellent advice to him on bear baiting. Nevertheless, I'm going to be stubborn about my suggestion about using lumpy Pampers as bear bait.

You sir can stay in Manitoba, diapers are not biodegradable and if you find it too much trouble to pick up proper bait I doubt you would walk the bush to clean up the mess. :roll:
X100 Stay in the house would be even better. It floors me to read that the OP on the diaper suggestion does not see any wrong in his actions. First off in Ontario the first CO that seen your mess at bait site would charge you as littering is illegal on crown land. Second off if I found it I would report you as well. This is a disgusting practice that only serves to give all hunters a bad name if discovered. You should clean up your bait site and your act or stay at home changing diapers and let your better half go hunting - providing you did not teach her how to set up a bait site.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Like the old saying says " you are what you eat".
I like bear that tastes good, so I hunt away from dumps and bait with good taste.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
kamont

Post by kamont »

Hunt it wrote:
kamont wrote:

X100 Stay in the house would be even better. It floors me to read that the OP on the diaper suggestion does not see any wrong in his actions. First off in Ontario the first CO that seen your mess at bait site would charge you as littering is illegal on crown land. Second off if I found it I would report you as well. This is a disgusting practice that only serves to give all hunters a bad name if discovered. You should clean up your bait site and your act or stay at home changing diapers and let your better half go hunting - providing you did not teach her how to set up a bait site.
He did say he is an "old geezer" so lets just put this off as a mental illness. :D
Boo

Post by Boo »

Do you guys really think Hi5 is being serious?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Boo wrote:Do you guys really think Hi5 is being serious?
The old saying says "you are what you say". Is Hi5 full of poop?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
kamont

Post by kamont »

I guess everyone missed the humor you see, maybe take him to your backyard.
kamont

Post by kamont »

double post